• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Shares drop as Apple rolls out new Mac mini with Intel chip

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Apple rolls out new Mac mini with Intel chip

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:54 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) on Tuesday introduced both a new Mac mini powered by an Intel (INTC.O: Quote, Profile, Research) chip the company said was nearly five times faster than the previous version and a new iPod home stereo box.

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said the new Mac mini with a single core Intel chip was as much as three times faster than the previous version. He also said the Mac mini with an even more powerful dual core Intel chip was nearly five times as fast as the previous version.

Jobs said the single core Mac mini sells for $599 while the machine with the dual core chip retails for $799. Both models as well as the iPod Hi-Fi selling for $349 are available today, Jobs said.

The new products come as Apple is moving its entire lineup of Macintosh notebook and desktop PCs and servers to Intel microprocessors by the end of 2006.

At the Macworld conference in January, Jobs unveiled the MacBook Pro notebook and the iMac all-in-one desktop PC, both of which use Intel's chips and related elements.

Shares of Apple were trading down 28 cents at $70.70 on Nasdaq.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

labRat

TRIBE Member
alexd said:
Apple rolls out new Mac mini with Intel chip
Shares of Apple were trading down 28 cents at $70.70 on Nasdaq.
teh horror!!

the ipod hifi is such a waste, a huge $350 speaker system. would've been better if it tied into their airport wifi audio sharing as well and was smaller and less moneys.

dig this

TRIBE Member
labRat said:
teh horror!!

the ipod hifi is such a waste, a huge $350 speaker system. would've been better if it tied into their airport wifi audio sharing as well and was smaller and less moneys.
looks nice but i'd never fork over the dough for one....

the mini is pretty damn expensive now... $1000 for the higher end one :confused:

the front row/bonjour seems cool, you can stream any music, photos or music from any other computer in the house:

All in the family
Let Mac mini and Front Row entertain you by playing songs, slideshows, and videos from other computers in the house.(1) Buy new music in the kitchen, play it in your living room. Mac mini automatically finds networked computers under your roof — whether they be wireless or wired. Sounds like magic, but it’s just the Bonjour instant networking technology built into every Mac.
http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/frontrow.html

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
HouseHeadSacha said:
dang, alexd has a real hate on for macs!
they really are superior you know!
i don't have a hate on for macs, i just hate their marketing:

1. bogus fastest computer in the world ad of a couple of years ago.

2. current "dull grey box" campaign.... (person in hermetically sealed space suit) "Now that the new Macs use the Intel Pentium processor, the computer will be unleashed and the world will be a better place, yada yada...." Sombody should plug suitboys' airholes or at least tell him that placing an Intel CPU on a motherboard doesn't require a spacesuit or a cleanroom.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

labRat

TRIBE Member
alexd said:
Sombody should plug suitboys' airholes or at least tell him that placing an Intel CPU on a motherboard doesn't require a spacesuit or a cleanroom.
they're called bunny suits and are required to be worn when working in silicon wafer fabs that the commercial takes place in... so the commercial is accurate.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
labRat said:
they're called bunny suits and are required to be worn when working in silicon wafer fabs that the commercial takes place in... so the commercial is accurate.

yawn

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
alexd said:

2. current "dull grey box" campaign.... (person in hermetically sealed space suit) "Now that the new Macs use the Intel Pentium processor, the computer will be unleashed and the world will be a better place, yada yada...." Sombody should plug suitboys' airholes or at least tell him that placing an Intel CPU on a motherboard doesn't require a spacesuit or a cleanroom.
No but MAKING the chips themselves does require a cleanroom.

oh toro

TRIBE Member
alexd said:

you're into this guy. huh?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders