1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Sex Pistols, Dropkick Murphys, Reverand Horton Heath @ The Molson Ampitheatre!

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by LadyLinzee, Aug 26, 2003.

1. LadyLinzee

LadyLinzee TRIBE Member

So my dear friend called me on Sunday night and suggested that we do something different. She advised me that the Sex Pistols were in town at the Molson Ampitheatre and that tickets were super reasonablee so I told her to sign me up!! I love great friends with great ideas ... :)

So Reverand Horton Heath opened up - and for those who haven't heard of them they are a psycho-billy band and were WICKED!! It was my introduction to that kind of music and I found it fun - and by the second song people were already starting to get rilled up!

The second band to come on were the Dropkick Murphys - Celtic Punk Rockers, bagpipes and all! What amazing energy on the stage! Everyone was constantly moving around and there were always at least 6 instruments going at the same time! Highlight - Tied up with a Black Velvet Band - celtic punk rock version! Kicked!! Couldn't help but get up and start shakin' it!

Lastly, and not leastly the Sex Pistols! Wow - these guys are older than dirt but do know how to get the crowd going! They played a lot of their older stuff and my friend was convinced that in all the time that they's been off tour it was interresting that they finally learned to play their instruments :) Mr. Rotten <Smile> the lead signer chugged a bottle of brandy through the whole performance - he hadn't changed a bit as he told us all to f*ck off, and suggested that he play Justin Timberlake in an upcoming movie - it was awesome! There was not a person in the Molson Ampitheatre that was sitting - or standing still - hands in the air - cheering!

What a wicked night ... that's to my fantastic friend for suggesting it!

**holds glass up** Here's to more concerts!

2. HMHA

HMHA TRIBE Member

sounds like fun...

"...I am an anti-Christ
    I am an anarchist,
    don't know what I want
    but I know how to get it.
    I wanna destroy the passer by
    'cos I wanna be anarchy,
    No dogs body..."

hmha <----- a fan.

3. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Well Moez and I trucked down after some pre-drinks.

However by the time we got there the concert had ended! Which kindof sucked but we heard from a bunch of peple that the Pistols were lame.

Luckily we had free Ex tickets with the concert ones so we hung out there for awhile - then on my way home ran into Sunny and we rocked it out at The Velvet Underground.

4. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Crap I didnt know these guys where playing!!
    and all together at once! Crap.

Liquer in the front Poker in the rear.

5. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

was it a psychobilly freakout? i'd like to catch Rev. Horton Heat again...

6. J e l o

J e l o TRIBE Member

so pissed

didn't want to miss this but did
    now I'll never see them ...

7. 007

007 TRIBE Member

^^^

Don't worry!

You're not missing much. I saw Public Image Limited in the late 80's and Johnny Lydon was a has been then! The guy has become everything he revolted against in the 70's and 80's.

Personally, I find it sad that he has reduced himself to to another cliche.

8. juice

juice TRIBE Member

Astrid was there and told me they walked off after two songs because someone spat on them. Hardcore.

9. Scorched Earth

Scorched Earth TRIBE Member

I had fun at the show. I missed Reverend Horton Heat, but got there in time to see the Dropkick Murphys. THEY WERE FUCKING WICKED! Stole the show for sure. Pure energy, good songs, bagpipes, good interaction with the crowd. Excellent performance.

The Pistols were meh.....Not much energy in their performance, Rotten left the stage when he was getting spit on. But he came back and they finished their set. It was kind of weak. The highlights of the set were Anarchy in the UK, and Submission. Even God Save the Queen wasn't all that great. They played the entire Bollocks album with one or two songs from The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle. They only played for an hour or so...I'm glad I saw the Dropkick Murphys, or I would have been really disappointed in the entire concert.

IMHO, the Pistols were much better on the Filthy Lucre Tour. Oh well, I had fun regardless.

Cheers,

Jake

10. PinkAngeL

PinkAngeL TRIBE Member

They come to Toronto a few times a year
    Just keep your eyes open for their gigs at Lee's or the Horseshoe
    I'm there the next time for sure......I hadn't seen them for years and they put on a good show as the opening band Monday night

11. Chubbs

Chubbs TRIBE Member

Booo!

I didnt know Dropkick was playing :(

I woulda gone just for that.

Next time I should look at the openers :(