• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Sex Pistols decline Rock & Roll Hall of Fame honor

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Sex Pistols spit on Hall of Fame honor

By Chris Morris
The Sex Pistols have opted out on appearing at their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The groundbreaking English punk rock group officially declined the honor -- to be handed out March 13 at a dinner and performance at the Waldorf Astoria in New York -- in a crudely scrawled, mispunctuated handwritten message posted on the band's Web site Friday.

"Next to the SEX PISTOLS rock and roll and that hall of fame is a piss stain," the statement read. "Your museum. Urine in wine. Were (sic) not coming. Were (sic) not your monkey and so what?"

The statement slammed Hall of Fame voters as "music industry people," and excoriated the high price of attending the exclusive event -- $25,000 for a table, "or $15,000 to squeak up in the gallery."

It concluded, "Your (sic) not paying attention. Outside the shit-stem is a real SEX PISTOL."

Other 2006 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame include Black Sabbath, Blondie, Miles Davis, Lynyrd Skynyrd and industry executives Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss.

Susan Evans, executive director of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, said of the band's announcement, "They're being the outrageous punksters that they are, and that's rock 'n' roll."

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
why not said:
this would seem more punk rock had we not suffered through that horrible reunion a few years ago.
Schooled by knowledge of the events. Take THAT 2006 sex pistols!

Beats-Mistress

TRIBE Member
I don't know about you guys...but I kinda think the Sex Pistols did the right thing in protest

I mean really...what counts more...that the R&R Hall of fame recognizes you...or that your fans buy more cd's or old lp's

I don't know about you guys...but I think they are definately living up to their image in true fashion...and thier fans will only love them more for it.

Though I'm not into them..and not really a punk fan...I totally respect that they are exercising their rights as a band to turn away from the hype

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
oh i agree with their choice for sure, its just that it lacks the potency one might hope for.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
The Tesseract said:
that... coming from the original punk boy band.
Sex Pistols were formed for the sole reason of selling clothes.
and people say punk is dead, its just back where it started :)

acheron

TRIBE Member
I find it ironic that Queen Elizabeth might outlive the Sex Pistols. Some would say she already has.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sylent Syd

TRIBE Member
i originally was quite enthralled by the R'n'R HoF in its first few years and actually took it to mean something...but their credibilty - as far as I cared - tanked large when the Velvet Underground were overlooked on their first year of eligibilty.

On a side note, I always thought it was quite amusing when the Baseball Hall of Fame would not induct anyone with gambling charges or a record with drugs, despite how exceptional that player's stats were. If they applied the same principles to the R'n'R Hall, the building would be totally empty. :D

Beats-Mistress

TRIBE Member
Sylent Syd said:
On a side note, I always thought it was quite amusing when the Baseball Hall of Fame would not induct anyone with gambling charges or a record with drugs, despite how exceptional that player's stats were. If they applied the same principles to the R'n'R Hall, the building would be totally empty. :D

HAHAHA....that thought isn't just amusing.....it's hillarious

I can almost hear the cricket surrounding the empty building :p

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
The Tesseract said:
that... coming from the original punk boy band.
Sex Pistols were formed for the sole reason of selling clothes.
Your ironic comment is more true than you think. Ever heard Rob Zombie talk about his music career? He's a major label artist and he says he makes a living selling t-shirts, which his music advertises.

,g

D1Willow

TRIBE Member
Why do people even care about them anymore? Any true fans who went to the reunion cash grab should have given up on them then! As for HOF? My PC side says 'yes' only because thier IMAGE (not really thier music) helped thier genre break into the mainstream conscience, but musically or politicaly (remember, the angst against the establishment?) they're nothing close to 'punk' bands like TH or the almighty Clash! RIP Joe Strummer

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
actually they turned down the invitation to the induction ceremony... which would have cost them $25k for the table even for them.
I heard i quote from the RRHF marketing director or somethign on the radio about 30 minutes... they're still being inducted.. just not going.

thom100

TRIBE Member
gsnuff said:
Your ironic comment is more true than you think. Ever heard Rob Zombie talk about his music career? He's a major label artist and he says he makes a living selling t-shirts, which his music advertises.

,g

it is well know that in the music industry that you make your $$$ by touring and your merch sales. An artist on average make $1 per CD sold vs $20 per t-shirt sold.

FC St. Pauli

TRIBE Member
alexd said:
Susan Evans, executive director of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, said "They're being the outrageous punksters that they are, and that's rock 'n' roll."
what a bland, sad little thing to say

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

acheron

TRIBE Member
Aerius Zension said:
They don't deserve to be in there, their music is horrible.

All this and Rush still isn't in there.
You put those sentences in the wrong order.

All this and Rush still isn't in there.
They don't deserve to be in there, their music is horrible.

Fixed.:D

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
wow. he's so cool and outside the rules man.
that's hardcore dude.
now maybe the HOF can get somebody in with a shred of talent.
do we have any of those?