• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

severe back pain

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I'm down to 195. Sciatica is gone sorta. Yes it is.

I was 240 last december. So lost 50 pounds the past year.

it is what it is. I have to get to 185.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Hows it hanging man?

Whats the latest??
Had my MRI in November. L4 L5 discs are messed. I was doing much better for a while and was almost feeling human again other than some mild pain.

And then this week the back got tweaked and now I'm in bad shape. And this morning as I was getting ready to head out I must have moved the wrong way and I felt a pop in my lower spine. And now I'm in bed and can't really walk or stand. And the pain is off the scale at times. Not good.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Had my MRI in November. L4 L5 discs are messed. I was doing much better for a while and was almost feeling human again other than some mild pain.

And then this week the back got tweaked and now I'm in bad shape. And this morning as I was getting ready to head out I must have moved the wrong way and I felt a pop in my lower spine. And now I'm in bed and can't really walk or stand. And the pain is off the scale at times. Not good.
Ouch! Once you get out of this you need to get two things in order:

A) Back Spidey Sense (listen to what your back is saying so you can take action in days when you are vulnerable and not get tweaked - that means working from home, not going out, more stretching, ice and hot baths)

B) routine that keeps you strong enough not to be vulnerable

I have not conquered my back pain. I have hours of work every day, discomfort and I miss out on stuff.

But I haven't been laid out, horribly hurt, out of commission, since my last relapse in 2010, and time before that was like 2002

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Some days are better than others but the pain never goes away. Just goes from bad to worse.

I have a consult with a Dr next week to get assessed and review MRI results. At that point we will look at my options including potential surgery. I'm hoping he can give me a recommended course of treatment that gets me back to some state or normal that does not involve surgery.

I'll update next week after the consultation.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ok 36 inch trigger point core foam roller is my new fave thing

ShareThis Homepage

Really amazing tool to get at upper back knots which have been murder on me last 6 months, i am getting alignment benefits too, lots of good cracks in the upper back as things snap into place! Also good for legs and hips. Be careful in low back. 36 inch version let's you rest vertically with your spine against the whole thing safely.

Also just helps some of my yoga by giving me new points of leverage and support in some positions.

I was depressed and thinking I needed constant masseur visits, but this will maintain my independence!!

Still I am now needing something a bit more aggressive to go to sometimes. I have this bad boy on order, coming in two weeks!

Waveblade Sports Roller

Can't wait!!

praktik

TRIBE Member
I use this every day. Gym, or no.
Shoulda listened back in October, just had back problems morph to place where a foam roller was absolutely needed!

I just couldn't get my knots. One night a few weeks ago the knots were like so aching I had a bad sleep!

Now they are subsiding the more and more I use it.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I'm at 190 now. My optimal weight is 180. No back issues! 60 pounds lost in a year how did that happen? I've had a problem with weight gain along the way.

I've only went overweight twice in 20 years. Then I was like no way. get that shit done.

Then back problems go away with it.

Charlie476

Once I read a book about osteochondrosis (which is the most common ailment that causes pain in the back). I learned that the best way to prevent osteochondrosis is simply walking. I was surprised at the same time, that everything is so simple and naturally conceived by nature ))

praktik

TRIBE Member
Once I read a book about osteochondrosis (which is the most common ailment that causes pain in the back). I learned that the best way to prevent osteochondrosis is simply walking. I was surprised at the same time, that everything is so simple and naturally conceived by nature ))
Walking is good, but not sufficient on its own

Take it from someone who walked a TON to get at his back!

Over the years its really been about finding the right program of strengthening to build core safely and stretching to keep loose and out of trouble - knowing exactly what things to do when you feel a bit tighter or feel a pain can be very hard, and my program was cobbled together across a series of chiros and physios each of whom contributed pieces to the program over 15 years.

Simple advice that sounds snappy is a good way to sell diets, but shouldn't be offered on health issues which are more complex and deserve a complex answer.

"Walking it off" really isnt enough!

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Hey all! It's been a while.

I've come to all-knowing Tribe to ask about mattresses, especially those that are good for herniated discs. My current bed is no longer comfortable, and I need something better. I've already been told to avoid memory foam by a mattress expert in the US. He prefers latex, but in a hybrid (not a full latex bed). I'm about to purchase a Beautyrest White Label Kensington, and it isn't cheap.

Any recommendations? I know every back is different but if you've found a mattress that works with your back issues and has longevity, I'd love to hear about it. I can't mess this up. It's gotten worse, and I have an appt. to see a neurosurgeon.

So, any suggestion? I'm looking at firm (not hard firm, it will have a latex pillowtop). What works best for you?

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Huge fan of our king size firm coil spring from Marshall that we got a couple years ago (canadian made & manufactured up near downsview - pop into the Bay at Yonge & queen, they carry a line of theirs in house if interested)

Hey all! It's been a while.

I've come to all-knowing Tribe to ask about mattresses, especially those that are good for herniated discs. My current bed is no longer comfortable, and I need something better. I've already been told to avoid memory foam by a mattress expert in the US. He prefers latex, but in a hybrid (not a full latex bed). I'm about to purchase a Beautyrest White Label Kensington, and it isn't cheap.

Any recommendations? I know every back is different but if you've found a mattress that works with your back issues and has longevity, I'd love to hear about it. I can't mess this up. It's gotten worse, and I have an appt. to see a neurosurgeon.

So, any suggestion? I'm looking at firm (not hard firm, it will have a latex pillowtop). What works best for you?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I was diagnosed with degenerative disk disease about 8 years ago and was getting a lot of pain and reduced range of motion. I changed beds a few times and found that eventually, for me, it was the pillow that was the problem. Not using a pillow made virtually all my symptoms go away. Just like that. I don't have complete range of motion back but it's very close.