• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

severe back pain

IgStar

TRIBE Member
hey!
thanks for asking. I saw my chiro last tues - she has had me icing it (not heat like everyone else has been telling me)..and also, icing up higher than where the pain actually is. Whatever she did and between the icing - the last week has been an improvement. WAY better than the previous week of hell.
I see her again tomorrow - and I have been diligent with stretching/Yoga...I absolutely know that this is going to be an integral part of my life now - and that is fine :)
I enjoy the yoga (when I'm not in pain!!!!)
so I see her again tomorrow....and I have my Dr's appt. next Wed. still where I am still going to push for imaging even my pain level has decreased. B/C this has been ongoing for years. So regardless of how my back is by next week, I am asking for imaging.
The ice seems to be working much better than the heat ever did.

Next up - my work needs to buy me a new chair. I was good all weekend and within my morning shift here, I can feel my back starting to hurt again. I get up all the time. I stretch AT my desk and even hopped on our treadmill for 20min on my lunch.
That's all I can do.
ugh - seriously...you guys who deal with chronic pain ALL THE TIME...I have so much bloody respect for you.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Dont knock cold or heat!

I hear people tell me one or the other is good, and you should of course check with your primary caregivers, but I use both every day to great success!

Heat is more for the muscles in my back, doing it before stretching really helps me get the best stretch!

Also use those thermacare wraps for 8 hours of heat while I work some days...

Cold i do *every night*, icing on where my disc issues are while I read... if im in flare up I may ice early in the AM or at some point midday in addition....

Just dont want you to eliminate something from your regimen that could help! Hot and cold are both useful tools!

Glad to hear you are getting more optimistic!

derek

TRIBE Member
icing reduces blow flow to the area and reduces inflammation; heating increase blood flow to the area and loosens it up.

i usually ice at night and use heat in the morning. the icing contracts the muscle, and it stiffens them.

also, immediately after an injury, i'll ice for the first 48hrs.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Hard to believe my bad luck, but I was hit by a car last Monday. I was walking in a parking lot and the car pulled out, then stopped. Then I heard it come at me. I froze for a few seconds. A surreal moment where you can't believe a car is coming at you. Then, I booked it, as fast as my heavy sorels would take me. I still got clipped. Thank god or I would have been on his hood. Huge contusion on my left arm, but no fracture. I had it x-rayed.

My back was ok until Wednesday and then it started acting up. I've taken Thursday and Friday off. At first I felt ridiculous taking days off for this because I was sore.. but my back was a mess after. I'm glad I did.

I'm pissed because I was supposed to start at my physio's gym and now it's on hold until further notice. Seriously, Fuck!!. I was so excited to be moving on. Sorry, but I am angry. My physio says my back is a tight mess. :/

The child pose is ok, but I can only manage half the length doing the cobra. It's really painful. I'm pretty much back 5 months ago with constant pain, but it is all a matter of mind. I just need to get used to this level again.

Anyway Igstar, everyone is different. A friend of mine can't do icing as it causes intense pain. I do both. I use cold and then let heat relax me. I feel awesome after. My physio told me to play around and find out what works best for me, and that each person is different. This does for me.

if icing works for you, awesome :)

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
I fucked my back screwing around on a trampoline in November. Up until last month it felt the same, shitty. But then when I started school it started to feel like it was getting worse.

Someone fed me a weed brownie that put me on my ass. Back hasn't hurt since and it's been a month.

So the take away is, a very strong edible fixed my back. I have no idea how.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Nemisis thats horrible!

Most of the time my relapses are due to personal failure - this is totally unfair to have it forced on you!

Keep the chin up!

---

Doing ok over here, disc still taking its (or their) sweet time calming down.

Cant sit down and touch my toes without really aggravating the disc, and tested that out yesterday and was like yep "still a bit messed up"

Its weird blend of frustration/empowerment feeling now: frustrated to still need to spend all this extra time on my back and being an bit messed up again in the first place, empowered knowing I am holding off much worse deterioration and keeping a very slow progress that only feels like a plateau..;) Just once the discs get angry it takes so long for them to chill out! JUST CHILL OUT YOU FUCKS! ;)

My shoulders and arms are starting to get f*cked from working too many hours on my carpet in sphinx position with my laptop... working remote is a great privilege in these circumstances but ya, my shoulders aren't happy about it!

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Yeah, it was.. aggravating. I also had a Talent Show to organize (practices: lunches, after school and every prep) and I was worried I wouldn't make it. I had to take Wednesday off, as my feet/calves started to go numb Tuedsay. I made it through though, and I now have a week to chill my back out. I've slept a lot this weekend :p. I also bought egg salad sandwiches in the morning -for lunch- for two weeks (too tired to make anything when I got home, or in the morning). I hate egg salad sandwiches right now.

I am going to try going to the gym tmr. I was supposed to start my program three weeks ago (before the car hitting me). The gym is at my physio, and I will have a physio/trainer watching me and instructing me (and telling me to stop if I need to).

Hoping you feel better soon Pratik! Well you know it's all about dealing with it and doing what you need to do, which is what you are doing. Sucks though. I wish there was a magic remedy. :/ xo

Last edited:

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Scatica has been acting up again after 2 years. faak.

I haven't been playing footy this summer, so I think that's probably it. Those muscles aren't as loose.

Went to the gym today, did a 3k walk home, then jumped in the pool. Seems to have helped!

But sitting at the computer, I can feel it slowly setting in again.

It's so easy to think it's completely gone, until it makes a comeback.

praktik

TRIBE Member
SOrry to hear bro!

If you are JUST starting to feel it all your actions in the next few weeks will be critical. Will you prevent it from worsening and start rolling it back or will you worsen instead?

Definitely stay active, walking, stretching, hot+cold - pull out all the stops!

Can be tough if you are already in significant pain and doing things can be tough - but I know in my one big relapse being unable to move made the trough deeper as I atrophied a bit!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Over here kind of steady as she goes. That means constant work and super tight muscles and every day is a "rubber band", where I wake up super tight and have to loosen up and then by end of day I go to sleep and wake up all tight again. Hot baths are great for me these days - and my inversion table is great in combination with baths.

If I am feeling like im a bit tight and its gonna take hours of stretching, i hop in the bath to loosen up for 30 mins, then hang upside down for another hour

and im WAY better than if I had stretched for 3 hours!

JamesM

TRIBE Member
SOrry to hear bro!

If you are JUST starting to feel it all your actions in the next few weeks will be critical. Will you prevent it from worsening and start rolling it back or will you worsen instead?

Definitely stay active, walking, stretching, hot+cold - pull out all the stops!
Yeah, I started turning into a meat potato. I've been going to the gym regularly again, walking alot. Seems like it's loosed up.

Staying active is the solution.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Over here kind of steady as she goes. That means constant work and super tight muscles and every day is a "rubber band", where I wake up super tight and have to loosen up and then by end of day I go to sleep and wake up all tight again. Hot baths are great for me these days - and my inversion table is great in combination with baths.

If I am feeling like im a bit tight and its gonna take hours of stretching, i hop in the bath to loosen up for 30 mins, then hang upside down for another hour

and im WAY better than if I had stretched for 3 hours!
:)

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
I've been suffering, and I do mean suffering from lower back pain and it's been radiating down my left leg for 2 weeks. Had to go to emerg on Friday as the pain was unbearable. Possible sciatica or something else going on.

Just waiting for my MRI appointment. In the meantime I'm off to a physio appointment to see if they can help. Massage has not touched it and I think it made it worse. And cold packs don't help at all. As for sleep, I think I just pass out from exhaustion.

ER doc prescribed some heavy meds including oxy, which I don't even want to touch.

I've never had pain or discomfort like this before. And so frustrating to not be able to do anything.

Arrgghh

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I'd recommend seeing a chiropractor or osteopath, or someone at a sports clinic

I also Recommend a foam or trigger point roller (but being mindful to be cautious)

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ah kennyboy, heart goes out to you. Sounds like bad case of sciatica.

Do what your physio tells you. Get those stretches in. Be attentive - do any of these seem to make it worse? You have to work the routine and remove stretches and exercises that aggavate and do only things that help. Might take some trial and error. Walking will be good relief. Start to lower your sights - me and JamesM both took 5-7 months to heal from sciatica and there is no reason to expect that this will turn around in 1 month or less.

Hot AND cold are your friends. Try long hot showers or a hot bath before stretching - end on ice packs after the stretch down your butt/upper thigh/low back

Chiropractors will be luck of the draw - my advice is to stick with physio but do not be afraid to change it up if you are finding that relationship isn't there.

I've been through a few chiros, about 3 physios. And I got the best help from 2 physios. Took some trial and error.

Chin up kennyboy, let us know the results of your imaging.

Start to get it in your head your lifestyle needs changing - daily maintenance, even when you get over this.

I had my first sciatica flare up in 2001. My 2nd came in 2010. Happened when I slacked off on maintenance.

praktik

TRIBE Member
As for meds - when i was in my worst on the 2nd relapse i had some percs. I saved em for one night a week when I wanted to sleep more than 4 hours at a go.

Naproxen was probably most helpful on a regular basis - had a scrip for higher dose than off the shelf, but alleve works too.

Advil is fine though if you dont have any naproxen.

Exercise your control on those opiates, but maybe don't shit on the idea they might help you get a good night's sleep in now and again.

I ended up working from home almost exclusively during my 2nd relapse (was a student when first one hit), sleeping in 4 hour shifts and working in 4 hour shifts as well. Was lucky to be in a position to do that.

How far down your leg is your discomfort kennyboy? Not down to the foot I hope?

praktik

TRIBE Member
Whats your work situation like?

If you can't work from home I think you need to be on Short term disability for a few months for sure

"being a hero" made my shit worse more than once. Be selfish. Take care of that back!

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Had my first physio yesterday and after we determined what stretches I could / couldn't do, I got a short term plan for the next few days. Next appointment is Thursday.

Pain was stopping just above the left knee but in the past week it's extended down the full leg and it tingles across the bottom of my foot.

I'm on pregabolin 2x a day which seems to be helping a bit, as much as I don't enjoy taking melds for anything.

I just started a new job not too long ago so as much as they are supportive, I've got to get back in the game as I'm afraid to take too much time off. Although I have been working from home the past week as much as I can.

MRI isn't for another 4 weeks so in the meantime it's melds and following the direction of physio. Considering acupuncture but I'll see what my physiotherapist thinks.

All good, just going to take time and patience. :)

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ok the work situation is going to be your biggest threat to recovery, I think.

You know best the balance to strike. Try setting it up so you get at least one day a week at home where you can work from the horizontal and fit in more stretching instead of commuting.

If you can, try and get trusted to handle half days at work, you show up for the important meetings and cause you get shit done it's no big deal if you finish or start the day at home

It's just tough cause you have to earn cred and "being there" is a huge part of it.

Be jealous of the time you need for your back, the only way you can make this work is if you devote enough time outside work to support all the time you have to be at work!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Glad you got stretches and had a go at a program.

It's a journey you're on though, so be prepared to drop something and tell the physio if you feel weird after a session

The weirdest thing about these nerve/disc back issues is you can aggravate it and not really feel the impact of that until hours later. Be sensitive to what your back is telling you, and connect improvements and degradation to things in the past 24 hrs that may have made that happen.

Think about ergonomics at home and at work - better chairs, better beds, better posture.

You, eventually, need to build up a ton of core, but right now any strengthening needs to be very low impact and carefully tailored. You have a lot of risk with the job at play, you can't afford to set yourself back.

Slow and steady

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Glad you got stretches and had a go at a program.

It's a journey you're on though, so be prepared to drop something and tell the physio if you feel weird after a session

The weirdest thing about these nerve/disc back issues is you can aggravate it and not really feel the impact of that until hours later. Be sensitive to what your back is telling you, and connect improvements and degradation to things in the past 24 hrs that may have made that happen.

Think about ergonomics at home and at work - better chairs, better beds, better posture.

You, eventually, need to build up a ton of core, but right now any strengthening needs to be very low impact and carefully tailored. You have a lot of risk with the job at play, you can't afford to set yourself back.

Slow and steady
Thanks. It's frustrating as the mind says go and the body says no. I'm looking at my house and yard, and there are so many things that need to be done, and yet I physically can't do them.

Never mind work which just eats me up as I can't get in the car and make the drive, never mind put in a 10 hour day.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Keep the chin up - its depressing sometimes I know. For me it was the difficulty putting on socks - taking shits being uncomfortable, this stuff had me near tears some mornings cause you just feel so useless.

Pot actually helped me here on the attitude side - its not so much a pain reliever but a "pain coping" agent for me. Helped me take my mind off it and be more chill and focus on my stretches.

But whatever works for you - bring in those favourite albums, that favourite beverage, do those tricks to make coping easier. You will need to work on that too cause otherwise its just too depressing.

Welcome to getting older, and the rest of your life will need maintenance. Even once you're better - need to keep up a stretching regimen. Maybe find a yoga class that works with people with back injuries so they create low-impact, non-dangerous programs.

Get a bit of yoga in the daily routine and get used to starting and ending every day with some stretching.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Thanks. It's frustrating as the mind says go and the body says no. I'm looking at my house and yard, and there are so many things that need to be done, and yet I physically can't do them.

Never mind work which just eats me up as I can't get in the car and make the drive, never mind put in a 10 hour day.
Hows it hanging man?

Whats the latest??

praktik

TRIBE Member
Haven't tried it myself

I have a hot bath/ice pack/stretch+exercise routine and an inversion table as my tricks ! !