• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

severe back pain

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Besides massage and physio, anything other trips? Just got meds from doctor and it doesn't seem to apply any relief.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
what is your back pain from? Muscle? DDD?

Yoga and core strengthening has almost completely removed mine and I have severe DDD. I used to take Celebrex and/or Aleve everyday, sometimes 2x just to play golf. Now all I need is a little cream on game day :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
The back is a pretty broad area... What kind of back pain - low, mid or upper? How is it manifesting - sharp pain, spasms, or a dull throb? Are your hamstrings tight as well?

Yoga's good, heat will help in a lot of cases, and shiatsu (which I happen to practice) can provide relief. I fixed my back issues though a combination of the above and have never looked back.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
In addition to massage and something to encourage regular stretching (physio, yoga, etc)...
Chiropractic adjustments are key for myself. I don't go every week like most chiropractors typically recommend, but every couple months just to put me back in alignment (I recommend Matthew Serrick if you're looking downtown. Great at what he does and offers online scheduling through his website.)

praktik

TRIBE Member
Hot and cold are your friends: stand in hot shower for 20 mins, use heat wraps - stretch after the heat when your muscles are loosey goosey...

Then lie on ice packs after where it hurts. Heat loosens the muscles cold helps with inflammation.

When i had relapses with my chronic back pain this was my approach. Also walking. Go for long walks and stretch after - walking uphill was best for me.

Sadly there is no quick fix. As for drugs Advil and naproxen (Alleve) can help actually! But their benefit is more on fighting inflammation and wont take away all your pain. Only opiates do that and probably best you dont go there... I remember in my last relapse i was thinking the naproxen wasn't helping. I discontinued and went right back on them! Turns out it was a big help after all but when taking regularly you can get used to them and think theu arent helping...

praktik

TRIBE Member
And yes yoga is huge help - long term you need a daily routine of stretching and strengthening.

I am better now only because of 1-2 hours of work a day - every day. If i slacked off ever i had problems - and stretching was not enough on its own. Only made real progress once i had good strengthening program from physio that could *safely* build my core (be careful and ensure you develop your program with a professional)

You need this because having a bad back is a lifetime thing - you will be prone to relapse and other tribers are learning this too (looking at you JamesM)

JamesM

TRIBE Member
yeah after a year Mine gave out last week. Spent 3 days in bed. Hopped up on robax right now barely fit for the office.

I think I wasn't keeping in shape enough as i'm used to.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Thank you ALL for the posts. I was posting from my mobile, didn't bother going into deets.

I went to the doctor, he said I have muscle back spasms in my lower back area. He also told me to do massage and physio. Lower back/butt area. Yes, it is muscle.

I've had a bad experience with a chiropractor, so I only go to my family relative, but she's not working now - recovering from an injury.

I am going to bowen soon, I might even think about doing acupuncture.

I really don't want to take anymore of these useless pills, apparently you aren't suppose to drink alcohol with them... lol

Looking for all suggestions, about to do a 13 hour flight, prefer to be healthier than this!

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Hot and cold are your friends: stand in hot shower for 20 mins, use heat wraps - stretch after the heat when your muscles are loosey goosey...

Then lie on ice packs after where it hurts. Heat loosens the muscles cold helps with inflammation.

When i had relapses with my chronic back pain this was my approach. Also walking. Go for long walks and stretch after - walking uphill was best for me.

Sadly there is no quick fix. As for drugs Advil and naproxen (Alleve) can help actually! But their benefit is more on fighting inflammation and wont take away all your pain. Only opiates do that and probably best you dont go there... I remember in my last relapse i was thinking the naproxen wasn't helping. I discontinued and went right back on them! Turns out it was a big help after all but when taking regularly you can get used to them and think theu arent helping...
I'm on Alleve now, good to know that it DOES help. I've been on it for two days now.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Totally crazy opinion here and suggesting getting to root cause before treatment/management strategies.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
is this an acute or chronic issue?

I think Pilates (strengthening the core) is more helpful then yoga. I find with pilates more attention is paid to propper form, and movements are small and controlled where as yoga you need to know what you are doing to avoid injuring yourself.

I have "back" issues which means pain in the mid back thoracic. at times I throw my back out and takes a few weeks to get over it. Turns out it is not even related to my spine! it's a rib that pops our of place and causes the issue!

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Lower back... in my experience, my issues have always been SI (sacroilliac joint which is a float bone on either side of your side in your lower back). If it's only on one side of your back, try a series of stretches and this may give you more direction:
1) Stretch your hamstring
2) stretch your quad
3) Stretch your hip flexors
4) Try and stretch your glutes

If any of those are extra ordinarily tight on the same side as your pain, your back pain could be similar to mine -in which case, just stretch religious and the pain seems to stay away. I go to chiro though to get the SI popped back in every so often when I feel a bit of pain.

My chiro also told me that if it is your SI, the lat muscle kiddie corner to aggravated SI also comes into play -might have to roll that constantly.

When your SI goes, you know. You essentially free-fall drop straight to the ground and can't move. Putting pressure on your lower back is crazy painful. Only certain positions are comfortable, etc.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Looking for all suggestions, about to do a 13 hour flight, prefer to be healthier than this!
Me too - back to toronto from Seoul... On way here did ok but i was in ok back shape..

If hurting already before you go could be rough: take ur alleve, bring a lumbar roll to put on your seat, wear a thermacare heat wrap (should last your whole flight). Try and get up every hour you are awake and walk the aisle...

Wont be easy but thats about best you can cope - like i said will be rough for me and im not even in crisis mode!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Totally crazy opinion here and suggesting getting to root cause before treatment/management strategies.
For sure. Doing stetches can be risky and make things worse - get with a physio (my top reco - over chiros) to ensure you have a plan that makes things better and not worse.

But even this is not a panacea - my first care provider really helped but also gave me stretch that made things worse! After two different chiros and three physios i have a good routine but its the product taking something from each of them.

Root causing a back problem can be difficult - and there is still general advice that can work for almost everyone (walking, hot n cold, etc). Medical imaging isnt really all that great or helpful either in most cases...

Back issues are pretty tough!

JamesM

TRIBE Member
my mum was injured on the job she was a nurse and was knocked over by a client's dog She was a site nurse, and really screwed her up more than me. She's faught with disablility for years and won.

She's been on heavy duty sedation for years. The alternative is surgery which pretty much may make her paralyzed.

You never know how bad it is, unless you have others who have experienced the sheer nonsense that is back injury.

It becomes a comradery. Talking to people who never had back issues is hilarious. [They're like so what. Just deal with it].

Try getting up to go for a shit is the most impossible thing ever and you just want to fling yourself onto the ground instead. All dignity is gone.

praktik

TRIBE Member
You never know how bad it is, unless you have others who have experienced the sheer nonsense that is back injury.

It becomes a comradery. Talking to people who never had back issues is hilarious. [They're like so what. Just deal with it].

Try getting up to go for a shit is the most impossible thing ever and you just want to fling yourself onto the ground instead. All dignity is gone.
Super macho greek guy at work developed sciatica: he was all like "all these years i thought people who had back problems were lazy and trying to get off work"

Hear same thing from migraine sufferers - people just dont get it.

When i was at my worst it was putting on socks that had me feeling the lowest: the basic day to day shit that used to be so easy. Remember tearing up while flopping around on the floor trying to get a fucking sock on!

JamesM

TRIBE Member
yeah the lady left to work today and was like. You need help? naw. I'm okay.

I popped some robax and had a shandy, and engery drink concauction. popped some halls and brushed my teeth.

Everything was fine until I forgot how impossible it was to put on socks. I tried the lassoo but no. I was like IF I force it, i'm just going to undo the 3 days in bed.

So I just fucking did it, and i didn't die. Lassoing the pants are relatively easy.

I had a really kick ass day at work today, too! But Again, popping robax like crazy. But never the less, a success at work. People ask you though. Why you gotta walk like a penguin. Ohhhh. Ok. Do you need help? naw.

The directors, who've had back surgery are all smiles.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories