• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Severance Pay..the going rate

flipflop

Anyone been through this process lately???

What is the "going rate" for severance package these days?

i.e. years of service to weeks of pay ratio

Anyone know of an employment lawyer they can refer me to?

Thanks a bunch!!!!:cool:

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
flipflop said:
Anyone been through this process lately???

What is the "going rate" for severance package these days?

i.e. years of service to weeks of pay ratio

Anyone know of an employment lawyer they can refer me to?

Thanks a bunch!!!!:cool:
give us some details surrounding your employment and your termination and we might be able to help.

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
my father got about 85K for 33 years of service.
he should give me half.
I told him it was coming and to wait for it. he wanted to retire 5 months before it happened.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Employment standards act:

Termination pay: (short term employment) over one year but under three = one weeks pay in lieu of notice. add 1 week for every addition year of service up until 8 weeks tht is max amount required under

severance pay: (Long term employees minimum 5years employment) 1week/ year of service up till 26 weeks.

you can also get both concurrently

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
lucky1 said:
Employment standards act:

Termination pay: (short term employment) over one year but under three = one weeks pay in lieu of notice. add 1 week for every addition year of service up until 8 weeks tht is max amount required under

severance pay: (Long term employees minimum 5years employment) 1week/ year of service up till 26 weeks.

you can also get both concurrently

those rules dont apply all the time. Imperial Tobacco was known as a more generous company though.

flipflop

The Employment Standards act states a minimum of one week of pay per year of service but a friend told me that you should try for between 3-4 weeks per year of service.

Is it worth it to hire an employment lawyer to work out a settlement. It's not like I'm a CEO or anything, I'd be happy with the 3 weeks per year!

lucky1

TRIBE Member
groovespinna said:
those rules dont apply all the time. Imperial Tobacco was known as a more generous company though.
if there are mass layoffs, or if its a union environment etc things are different. but these are the minimums according to the act. if you got the minimums than you don't have much of a case.

also there is the question of cause. If there is just cause to fire you then you don't have a case either, though you can argue this but its hard if the employer claims cause.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
To go through employment standards, and the ministry of labour is pretty easy, and does not take too long...
If you use a lwayer it may be more time consuming, and you may have to pay more then you expect...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
lawyers fees will most likely be more than any settlement you recieve.

note: Severance pay is only required if the comapny payroll is over a certain amount.. I can't quite remember the $$ amont, but basically larger companies. NOt small employers

so under the act you are entiled to 4 weeks termination pay in lieu, and possibley 2weeks severance.

Last edited:

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
flipflop said:

Is it worth it to hire an employment lawyer to work out a settlement. It's not like I'm a CEO or anything, I'd be happy with the 3 weeks per year!
what did they offer you?

flipflop

This is the first round and the offer is the minimum! Now it's my turn to counter the minimum...I guess...cheap bastards!

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
flipflop said:
This is the first round and the offer is the minimum! Now it's my turn to counter the minimum...I guess...cheap bastards!

This is Social Services not Microsoft. You're in the wrong business if money is a serious motivator for you.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
flipflop said:
I have been here for six years as a counsellor (social services) and terminated without cause-downsizing.
You don't have much of a case for any special consideration. The *minimum* requirement is one week per year of service, however severence pay is often dictated by presiding case law, not legislation. For cases where employees have been with a company for extended periods of time (i.e. 25 years), the case can be made that they are entitled to more than the mandatory minimum. For a random dude who's been with a company for 6 years though that would be a near impossible sell.

It's odd to find a company who still only provides 1 week (most companies go for 2 these days), but it's not illegal and you wouldn't have any luck taking it to court given the details you've provided.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
flipflop said:
Maybe thats all they have to offer?
You mentioned they were downsizing. They probably dont have a lot of money for you.