• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Setting up a home network

deevah

TRIBE Member
wireless router directly connected to desktop running XP
want to share files w/ laptop running MS2K Pro

tried doing it thru the network wizard on the desktop and created a setup disk as dictated by windows. Pop the floppy into the laptop and the bugger says the file is compatible w/ everything EXCEPT 2KPro.

Alternative solns?

Thanks!

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
are both machines getting an ip address?

Sometimes the fastest and easiest sollution is to install an ftp server on the one machine and to use ftp to transfer the files.

deevah

TRIBE Member
transfering files is not really my ideal soln
i want to be able to share folders

any other solns o'geeky one?

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
deevah said:
transfering files is not really my ideal soln
i want to be able to share folders

any other solns o'geeky one?

what are the IP addresses of the two machines?

(easy way to tell
Start >> run
type 'cmd' without quotes and hit enter
you'll now be staring at an old dos prompt
type 'ipconfig' without the quotes)

your should get something of the nature of

192.168.0.x

as long as the first 3 numbers match we're doing well, only the forth should be different.

Once when you've got this we can get everything else setup.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
yeah I'll be home in another half hour fire me a pm with your number and I'll give you a call and walk you through it (I'm in the states so its best to go on my unlimited long distance plan).

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
deevah its such an incredible pleasure to deal with you. I know a single person (Neil) who would be as fluid at the other side of a phone dealing with this. And we worked togther for 3 years living in the same loft.

If everyone was half as versed as you security and technical support would be a dream!!!!

A Tech Supports wet dream, a girl who knows how to debug her own wireless network and has already setup the security on it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories