• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Serious geeks only

TRIBE Member
Anyone here know how or knows someone who knows how to code assembler? Any platform. PM me.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

finary

TRIBE Promoter
tumbleweed.jpg.JPG

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
I know a guy or two....have not spoken with them in a while...is this for a job offer , or just a question you are having?

More deets please.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
wrote a program in ASM once that filled the screen with random colours and beeped.

does that count?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by TheRunningBoard
I know a guy or two....have not spoken with them in a while...is this for a job offer , or just a question you are having?

More deets please.

For a job.

Z/Series (aka 390, aka 370) assembler.

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 416
For a job.

I only have my Y/Series (aka 360, aka 340) assembler.

Underqualified again. When am I gonna get a break???!!!!!

zoo

TRIBE Member
i know assembly

you'll have a tough time learning it if you don't have (or aren't willing to attain) a good background in microcontroller / microprocessor / microelectronic theory

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I don't know about that zoo.

They have a pretty intense assembly course at the U of A for the com sci program and it's a second year course (also offer a more intense 4th year course).

you just have to understand a bit about the kernal and how certain architectures use registers and how it fits into the bigger picture of a processor/mico-control system.

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by the_fornicator
you just have to understand a bit about the kernal and how certain architectures use registers and how it fits into the bigger picture of a processor/mico-control system.

the assembly code IS the bigger picture

erikwh

TRIBE Member
assembly has got to be the bane of every nerds existence. more than 500 lines of that shit and you are done.. forget debugging

ugh I had the worst time programming a PIC 16Fsomthing for a design project

terrible

zoo

TRIBE Member
the best part about assembly is when you are asked to write 12 pages of assembly code in a written pencil/paper exam

sweet eh

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 416
For a job.

.model small
.stack 100h

.data
hello_message db 'Hello, World!',0dh,0ah,'$'

.code
main proc
mov ax,@data
mov ds,ax

mov ah,9
mov dx,offset hello_message
int 21h

mov ax,4C00h
int 21h
main endp
end main

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
.model small
.stack 100h

.data
hello_message db 'Hello, World!',0dh,0ah,'$'

.code
main proc
mov ax,@data
mov ds,ax

mov ah,9
mov dx,offset hello_message
int 21h

mov ax,4C00h
int 21h
main endp
end main

Wrong machine.

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
i know assembly

you'll have a tough time learning it if you don't have (or aren't willing to attain) a good background in microcontroller / microprocessor / microelectronic theory

That's not true.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
the assembly code IS the bigger picture

I'd have to disagree.

the assembly code is limited to how the (micro)processor's architecture is set up, how it handles interrupts/exceptions and how/when it goes into kernal/user mode. In that case, wouldn't that indicate that the assembly code is just a variable that is dependent on the processor, and thus, not the bigger picture?

zoo

TRIBE Member
why are you guys looking at it from such a narrow viewpiont?

416 & fornicator --> without knowing 'the bigger picture,' learning how to operate a microcontroller with assembly instructions is going to be incredibly confusing and ultimately fruitless

the whole point of microcontrollers is that they can store instructions and operate them, yes the instructions are stored in memory and executed by this 'big picture' microcontroller, but ultimately those assembly instructions contain the bits that physically control the microcontroller

without knowing the system it's sort of foolish to intend on controlling it

i could play here forever, at school it feels like i can't get away from assembly/vhdl/matlab