• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Sequenced Live Looping (ie with NO foot pedal)

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
I saw a lot of threads on live looping in Ableton and the necessity of foot pedals so I thought I would remind everyone that you can use a midi loop to SEQUENCE your live sampling. You will probably even find this handy if you do have a pedal. Check it out:

Step One: Make a MIDI Loop

-plug a midi output into a midi input, or use the IAC midi loop in the 'audio midi setup' of you mac, or use any number of PC programs

Step Two: Enable 'Remote' for your MIDI Loop

-go to the Preferences > Midi/Sync and enable 'Remote' on the input coming from the midi loop

Step Three: Make a MIDI Track That Sends to the MIDI Loop

-shift-ctrl-T
-then go into i/o section of the session view and use the field labeled 'midi to'

Step Four: MIDI 'Learn' Your Record Slot

-make a clip on the midi track you just made, and then make ONE note in it. (when you are midi learning it is important to only send one note at a time. make your sequences later.)
-click play on the clip (make sure it is the only one), and then stop ableton. the clip's play button should now be lit
-press ctrl-M to enter midi mapping mode
-click the record button on the slot that you want to record loops to
-start ableton
-leave midi mapping mode

You should now have a clip which triggers another clip. check it out and make sure it works

Step Five: make a clip to trigger when you want to take a loop.

-iif you make a clip that triggers your midi note twice, it will record and then loop.

A Note on Latency and Triggering...

If you don'y have a crazy soundcard, chances are that this midi note will not come in exactly on the note you put it on. this means it is a good idea to move your trigger notes up a 16th note or two. the quantize will take care of any early notes.

GO FORTH AND DESTROY!!!!

;)