1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Semi-Official GTA Corporate Radio Thread

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by acheron, Oct 11, 2005.

1. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

well, there are so many threads about stuff going on on radio stations in the GTA I figured maybe we should have a thread devoted to it.

Ok, I'll start:

Jack-FM just switched back to no DJ's! Yay! What I'm impressed about is that they actually listened to their ratings/customers and did something about it. I liked Jack when it had no DJs at the beginning, hated it when they brought them in (as I have commented here before) and I feel a breath of fresh air now that they're gone again. Ballsy move - good for the bottom line, too - no personalities to pay for except snarky announcer guy but he does the whole Jack network, so hey.

http://www.925jackfm.com/nojocks.html

"NO DJs ON JACK - A FIRST IN CANADA

Pat Cardinal, General Manager and Program Director of 92.5 JACK FM, announced that Toronto radio station JACK FM will make Canadian radio history by being the first station with no disc jockeys.

"The move came as a result of listener feedback" says Cardinal. "The audience has been telling us that they want no DJs on JACK. They want more music."

When it first launched - nearly two years ago - 92.5 JACK FM operated without disc jockeys in an effort to establish the "Playing What We Want" concept which was new to Toronto. DJs were introduced within weeks. However, ongoing research has confirmed that listeners would rather hear JACK's huge range of music without the stereotypical announcer banter.

"No DJs means more music," states Cardinal. "It sounds simple, but the change is so new to radio and involves so many people that we took our time to make sure it was the right move.

For more details, please contact:
    Pat Cardinal
    General Manager / Program Director
    JACK FM
    416 935 8420
    pat.cardinal@rci.rogers.com"

Oh, and Erin Davis is back on whatever station she was kicked off of? Who cares?

2. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I was gonna post about this too.

Supposedly, JACK FM is revolutionizing American radio. There are many other Jack FM's popping up. And they are making a killing off this concept.

The one problem I have? The music they play is still shit.

3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Meh - I look at it as 'less shitty' than the other corporate radio stations. University radio/College radio will always be where it's "at"...

4. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

5. djtk

djtk TRIBE Member

oh goody...fully automated radio.

:(

think i'll stick with the interweb stations for that.

6. Jonesy

Jonesy TRIBE Member

i love the music they play on Jack. I don't like everything that's played, but it's way better if compared to other stations.

For example: CFNY/The edge- i hate that Weezer song 'beverly hills' to begin with. It's even worse when it's on almost everytime i turn the station on.

7. dicksherwood

dicksherwood TRIBE Member

Hellz yeah, the mixtape massacre show saturday afternoons on 88.1 has been rawking my world in its various forms since '89...I'm also down with Lounging-The after party on Sunday afternoons on 89.5...that's some good listening right there

8. Flashy_McFlash

Flashy_McFlash Well-Known TRIBEr

Let's not forget the songs you like, but hate by the time they're finished with them. That gorillaz song is so overplayed that I cannot listen to it anymore.

I like the no-dj's idea. The only DJ's I enjoy are the E'd out bastards on 100.7

9. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

Ohhh my God, yeah.
    It's nice to hear nice and smooth on the radio, that's for sure.

10. Dr Trance

Dr Trance TRIBE Member

Want to hear a professional's opinion? Well, you're going to anyway...

JACK is hardly revolutionizing radio anywhere. They did well initially in Vancouver (where the format started), but they have lost a lot of listners there in the past few months. Everywhere else has been spotty at best...including Toronto where the ratings have been below average...and certainly below what they were when 92.5fm was known as KISS. A great example of how this format is backfiring is in New York City, where WCBS replaced a very succssful oldies station with JACK...and created a lot of negative press by firing the oldies DJs like Cousin Bruce Morrow, who is a Big Apple legend. The result is the initial loss of 2 ratings points, a devestating blow in a city the size of N.Y.

Why is this format failing? Well, playing the wrong music is a good place to start. They are somewhere in between other more successful formats. Here in Toronto, for example, playing a lot of "CFNY-style" retro is a great idea; mixing it in with Madonna, Michael Jackson, etc is not.

Finding HIT music that other stations no longer play is a good idea. Playing that music to the exclusion of ANY music that other stations play doesn't work.

And what will work in Toronto will definitely not work in other markets...especially NYC, which NEVER had an "alternative" station (the closest was in Long Island and could barely be heard in Manhatten).

Plus... the PD and/or music director needs to be aware of songs that were "hits" here in Toronto that may not have been chart hits around the country. That means that one of these two managers should have lived here during the time the station's music was played the first time around. I do not believe that's the case with JACK.

As for no DJs...well, you kids may like that idea, but MOST people who listen to radio want to be entertained; if they wanted a jukebox they'd get an iPod and download the music they wanted to hear. The past has proven over and over again that "jockless radio" simply doesn't work. People get bored too fast. Stations who get rid of their DJs are most often floundering in the ratings and use a wall-to-wall music format as a stunt to bring in listeners who MIGHT stick around if the music universe of that station was larger than, say, 300 songs, which has become the standard size for most radio station libraries.

Bottom lines here: 1. Getting rid of the DJs is the last act of a desperate Program Director. If Jack's ratings don't go up (and history says they won't), there will be nobody left to blame and Pat Cardinal (the PD) will most likely get his walking papers.
    2. JACK is the format of the month. It will be a dead-and-buried issue within 2 years...and many other people in the industry would say that I'm being generous with that figure.

PS-Perhaps some of you don't like radio DJs because you've never heard any who are really good. Music-intensive formats have unfortunately driven most of those folks out of the business, leaving a stale medium that can be tiresome to listen to because nobody is doing anything new and exciting...and those who try...well, they're usually relegated to obscure stations in smaller cities. You might try listening to David Marsden Thursday and Friday nights from 7-midnight on 94.9fm (The Rock). Here is one throwback to a bigone era who is definitely doing something different-including playing the music that he alone chooses for his program...mostly from his years at CHUM FM (back when they were astonishingly good in the early 70s) and CFNY (back when they were The Spirit of Radio in the 80s and early 90s). If nothing else, you'll get to hear one of only two Canadian DJs who have been recognized by The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

If you can't pick up the station on the radio where you are, you can hear him at www.therock.fm...or hear his weekly show on www.pulverradio.com out of NYC.

This ends today's radio lesson, boys and girls. Pay attention, because there might be a quiz later.

don;)

11. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Good to hear from someone inside the business of being a DJ...

For myself, my reasons for liking radio without DJs is thus:

- I don't like on-air personalities as they have become in the past decade and a half - the so-called 'crew' format. It just sucks. The only one who can do it well, and even then not consistently, is Howard Stern. The problem is the way everything is scheduled, even the jokes. At least when Howie was starting out there was a random element but that went away quickly. I really don't like the way, for instance, Derringer uses his dog as a shill for dog food. And I don't get why radio personalities have faces in print advertising? Who fucking cares what they look like!! From the look of most of them, there's a reason they got into radio.

- the comparison to the iPod is valid - and it's one of the reasons the iPod is so successful, and in particular the iPod shuffle. People seem to want to have their own personal radio station. Myself my 'miscellaneous' playlist on my iPod has over 800 tracks in it. I always have it on shuffle. It can play for two or three days without a repeat. And there's no fucking jock talking over the tracks and I hear the full track, too. No station identification bumper, either. Fuck all that. I know what station I'm tuned into. Screw the CRTC anyway.

- they're all the same. Jack's part of the problem (rogers) but all these stations being owned by two or three companies just isn't good for variety.

- the only station I listen to with a 'crew' is Metro Morning on CBC (when they're not locked out, and even then, I listened on CIUT) because they have interesting content and they're cynical. No sell-outs. They know when to shut up, right? And they play lots of independant, Canadian music, and a lot more besides. There is NO innovation on formula radio elsewhere in T.O.

- I listen to Jack because it has no DJs and sometimes I want to listen to pop on my way in to work or back home. I can't stand the crews so that's where it is. Jack's a relief from the crews. I can only hope enough people in T.O. agree with me. And I've got an email into buddy at Jack to deepend the playlist again to where it was when they started ... It _was_ deep for a while there but then they went crew and it got fucked up.

12. Woody

Woody TRIBE Member

what would johnny say...

[​IMG]

13. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

CBC in the mornings.

BBC radio1 any other time.

Public radio rocks.

--r

14. Dr Trance

Dr Trance TRIBE Member

LOL. There's no better example of that than me. That said, it used to be that radio DJs were personalities and therefore stars. Over the years that importance has waned considerably, but the basic fact of curiosity as to whether or not the face matches the voice has remained. Think of your favourite club or rave DJs. Haven't you been curious as to what they look like? You certainly have gone out and spent your hard earned money to see them weave their magic. There is not that much difference between them and radio personalities...just a different craft.

Truer words were never spoken, my friend. The conglomeration of radio has changed the business completely. And it's worse in the U.S. where regulations aren't quite as strict as here and the biggest media giant owns thousands of stations, not a handful. That's why it's refreshing to actually find someone like David Marsden still being allowed to "do his thing" on the air.

You also mention Howard Stern and John Derringer, both of whom I listen to in the morning...for different reasons.
    I find a couple of Derringer's "bits" to be enjoyable, so I tune in for Maureen Holloway and The Tool of The Day. The fact that these features occur at the same time every day makes it easier for me to listen without having to hear a lot of music that I've heard/played a million times. I also listen to CFRB and 680 News for traffic reports (again at scheduled times so I know when to tune in). And the rest of the time I tune into Stern. If I enjoy the conversation I leave the radio there. If not I listen to CDs.

I suspect many other people are like me in that they find what they want to hear and tune in just for those moments. It makes the format of a morning show work...and it shows the value of what Howard Stern is doing as well, since his show provides the foundation for what I listen to on the radio in the morning. It's like a comfortable shirt: I can get dressed up, but the minute I get home, I get that shirt on because (just like your favourite radio station/just like your favourite music) it's comfortable .

15. newstyle666

newstyle666 TRIBE Member

What do most radio deejay personalities earn? Mad Dog and Billy or comparable? Don.. maybe you know ?

16. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

ive lost all respect for radio.....they play the same songs over and over and over and over again....i used to like some of the bands they would play...now....no way jose...cant stand the Stones now......ditto green day....i wish coldplay would just commit suicide en masse already....and i love the catch phrase of 102....."what is new....what is now"....yeah right...what you were payed to play is more like it assclowns...end rant

17. Dr Trance

Dr Trance TRIBE Member

It's been so long since I've been in the biz I can only guess. Mad Dog and Billie--probably about $130-150,000 (together) would be my guess.

The guy on 103.5-prolly $40,000.

18. green_souljah

green_souljah TRIBE Member

It's funny now how the only time I hear FM radio at all is when I am in stores. It seems to be the soundtrack to shopping and offices and nothing else. When is the last time you hopped into a friend's car and they had on Rock 95 or 102?

Nothing new and fresh, just the same boring songs over and over again. Maybe they wanted the shopping demographic.