• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Seltzer syphons

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
It turns out there's only one guy in the city that services seltzer syphons and you need an invite. I'd be curious to try / test it out in my quest for the perfect gin and tonic. I want to know how different it really is.

Anyone know of a bar that serves old-style seltzer?

The last Seltzerman in Canada - Macleans.ca

squidly

TRIBE Member
can't you just purchase a self gassing (for lack of a better term) seltzer bottle at any bar supply place? I have one that takes co2 cartridges to carbonate the water like this

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
can't you just purchase a self gassing (for lack of a better term) seltzer bottle at any bar supply place? I have one that takes co2 cartridges to carbonate the water like this

How does it perform? The reviews I've read on the cartridge systems indicate that the effervescence is subpar. The problem is that too much oxygen is in the container. Also, the water typically isn't cold enough.

I've read that the old bottling plants would create a vacuum in the syphon so no air gets in. The seltzer was also created in pressurized tanks with near-zero temperature water. Then they'd squeeze in carbon dioxide.

Cocktail Science: All About Carbonation | Serious Eats

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
PS... I would pick up a syphon that has a standard valve for a regulator. Then I could hook it up to a 5 lbs tank. Lots of people do this with plastic bottles, but I want something air proof that prevents flatness and that looks chic.

squidly

TRIBE Member
How does it perform? The reviews I've read on the cartridge systems indicate that the effervescence is subpar. The problem is that too much oxygen is in the container. Also, the water typically isn't cold enough.

I've read that the old bottling plants would create a vacuum in the syphon so no air gets in. The seltzer was also created in pressurized tanks with near-zero temperature water. Then they'd squeeze in carbon dioxide.

Cocktail Science: All About Carbonation | Serious Eats
lol well i've never had a problem with it. Although given your response you may be a bit more particular in what you are looking for than i am. I just add ice to combat the not cold enough problem.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
I'm looking for the fizziest water I can possibly get with tiny, effervescent bubbles. Something close to champagne. I've always been impressed with that "Clearly Canadian" line of carbonated drinks as far as in fizzyness goes. Something like that.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

coleridge

TRIBE Member
We have an old-school soda syphon but I advise against them; especially buying a used one. Cartridges only work in one shot. The water is room temperature. The amount of carbonation is good but the modern systems are better. Finally, they require a lot of care. Specifically, they require diligent cleaning to avoid the build-up of hard water deposits. These deposits cause leaking and seizing. A real nightmare.

Just get a modern soda syphon. SodaStream is okay but there is a more professional brand that I can't remember the name of that the pros swear by.

Add to that quinine syrup, it can be bought at bar supply stores, a good one being that one on Queen West near Ossington.

You will end up with a superior tonic water.

Otherwise Fever Tree Tonic Water is excellent.

diablo

TRIBE Member
This may meet your needs for a considerably lower amount of money, time and looking like a twee doofus (no offense):

Last edited:

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
This may meet your needs for a considerably lower amount of money, time and looking like a twee doofus (no offense):
I can't believe you suggested a mixer sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup. You must be from Etobicoke.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders