1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

See What Facebook Publicly Publishes About You

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by glych t.anomaly, Apr 28, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

LINK

With Facebook's new Open Graph API causing such a stir, many people are questioning what Facebook is publishing to the public. Developer Ka-Ping Yee has created a simple tool shows you what everyone else can see.

To check your profile for public information, all you need to do is load up the tool and type in your Facebook ID—this is the name right after facebook.com/ on your profile page (if you haven't set a username, it's the string of numbers at the end of the URL). Alternatively, you can search for your name or email address.

The tool will then load all your profile information. All your information outside the "metadata" box is public (for example, in the above picture, that means that everyone can see my "website" links). To see if a particular section within the metadata box (such as activities, favorite movies, etc.) is visible to the public click on its link—if it comes up empty, it's not viewable to the public. Note, though, that if it's not public, it may very well be viewable to friends of your friends, which is still pretty darn public—so check your privacy settings to be sure it's what you want. If clicking on a section comes up with something like the picture below, then everything listed is available for the public—and any web site that uses the Open Graph API—to see.

[​IMG]

Facebook does already have a built-in tool within privacy settings to do this, but it's nice to have an external tool to double-check, and with the new Open Graph being a bit confusing for some people, it should help you sleep at night knowing exactly what is and is not public. If you find that your profile is much more public than you thought, make sure you know how to restore your privacy.

What does Facebook publish about you and your friends?

Mmreaahhh, listen here see, you'll never take me alive bookface !

[jai]

2. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

apparently, nothing except my avatar.

3. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Same.

4. glych t.anomaly

i dont even see my avatar :confused:

:cool:

[jai]

5. Aleks

Aleks TRIBE Member

nothing exists LOL

6. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

(#613) Calls to stream have exceeded the rate of 100 calls per 600 seconds.

7. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

I dont understand.
    if it looks like this thats good, but if there were things under those linky things, then it would mean people could see stuff?

so like in that one up there, all anyone can see if his profile pic? cause thats exactly what mine looks like. just a big list of things, and my profile is in them.

8. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

oh wait i see what you have to do, you have to put them all in that bar and check them. so far i know they publish my likes.... which means the whole world knows I like Monkey Magic!!!

9. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

while i was talking on the phone the other day, i had fb open and "liked" probably about 200-300 ads just for shits. i got carried away i guess.

10. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Can only see my profile pic. Nice to know.

'Likes' are your fan pages, and Monkey Magic is a fan page on your fb :p.
    This is one of the reasons I got rid of most of mine. It's also the reason I do not add local DJ's who invite me (repeatedly) to join their fan page. I know DJ's and promoters who understand why I will not accept.

So please stop adding us repeatedly, even when we ignore it multiple times. It's annoying. It's not that we don't like you, it's just that it is public information we have no interest in sharing.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  11. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

If you're talking 'thumbs up'.. It's still private if your wall is. Unless you added 200-300 fan pages :O

12. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Only my profile pic - as it should :)

13. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i just liked EVERYTHING on a couple of friend's walls (its basically my girlfriends account anyway)

14. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Still private then :)

15. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Oh Jai, anyone who knows databases and for-profit corporations should know that your info is their info. Advertisers, I know, have access to your stated demographic and your likes/interests. That's why they're trying to neatly categorize what you've put in those fields. It's going to get worse.

Edit: Anything you put into that system you should consider the property of Facebook to use as they wish, or more specifically, to sell as they wish for the most money.

16. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

spokeo.com

think it is an american thing BUT WOW the info available.

17. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

Now I can find the bitch that has the same name as me and stole my gmail account name! At least she doesn't have any questionable google results to sully my reputation with.

I am deleting my fb profile bit by bit, it's very boring now, just have to delete my photo albums now (which have been heavily edited and untagged). It was fun while it lasted.

18. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

i dont understand the new "info" tab thing in your profile. where its linking everything to pages. so everything in your info profile is now public? so you either have no info, or its all public?

19. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

The info tab isn't new. It's where your interests / 'all about me' etc., are.. It's only public if you set them public in your privacy settings. If you want the information in that tab private > privacy settings>profile information.
    Make sure all the information you would find on the info page is set to 'only friends'. The only thing that you can't make private are your fan pages.

20. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

no there is a new thing in there when you go in there. and you click it and it takes you to another page with all these box things on it, and it says stuff in there.

21. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Just found out about it. Ridiculous. It pertains to your info page (not your entire profile though). However, my info should be private if I choose, not 'connect your profile.. or else the info is gone' :mad:.

I haven't seen the opt-out box on my profile yet.

22. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

[​IMG]
    ha this cracked me up, the book part.

23. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

24. glych t.anomaly

i posted this in the Facebook is Evil Thread as well, some time ago.

i havent changed any of my settings from them, and i get no search results for myself at all.

[jai]

25. glych t.anomaly

We all know that Facebook has been making privacy changes over the past few years which supposedly reflects society’s trends toward becoming more open. A new infographic produced by Matt McKeon effectively illustrates how Facebook has steadily decreased the default privacy settings of users’ profiles to be more open. The latest settings are surprisingly open and looking at the image below should make you wonder why Facebook is making profiles increasingly open.

We’ve remixed Matt McKeon’s original animation (which can be found here) to produce the following image:

LINK

[​IMG]

[jai]