• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Secure erase a SSD

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
What's the best solution out there to do this? I know there are programs are there for HDD's but I am not sure they apply for SSD's?

Unrelated question: If the SSD supports TRIM function does it need to be run manually or is it done automatically by the OS when it is enabled? My first SSD (Intel 320) came with an utility which suggested I run it manually through the utility about once a week. My new SSD doesn't come with such utility software so I am a little confused.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Check mfr page, should have a utility shouldn't it?

My Intel SSDs are scheduled weekly so I don't even worry about it.

Take a look at TrueCrypt - i think that page might have some info on SSDs with respect to their software, believe you will still have need to write over data different ways to truly erase...

praktik

TRIBE Member
other freeware you could consider: DBAN,. i think people use TrueCrypt to write encrypted data over the data they want to "secure erase" - but priobably simpler to have secure erase dedicated functions in the software you use

And I have acronis which is what I would use for any secure erasing, but its pay software

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
And I have acronis which is what I would use for any secure erasing, but its pay software
I have Acronis, but doesn't it write over your drive many times and that's bad for the drive? My drive is a pretty healthy drive, I guess that isn't an issue. Maybe I'll give that a shot. Intel's utility does have a secure erase but you can't do that if it's the boot drive. I tried to put the drive in an external enclosure and run the Intel utility that way but the drive doesn't show up in the utility when I do that.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Spybot Search & Destroy is free and comes bundled with a file shredder you can use to wipe folders, but I a not sure if it can shred the free space on a drive.