• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Second Career Help? Advice.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
As we move on in years, some of us may look towards a second career.

My sis is in that position. She's been working in Food & Industry for more than 25 years. She has been an awesome bartender (has won awards), a server, has managed several restaurants, and she has owned her own restaurant.

The last restaurant she worked at (Casey's), has just been sold. She's taking some time off to figure out what she wants to do. She's tired of the hours and the late nights. She just wants a regular gig where she isn't driving home at 3am, can spend time with her husband and dogs - and doesn't have to deal with all you drunkards ;)

All of her staff have found jobs based on her recommendations. She's been offered jobs up the ying/yang. Casey's has asked her to manage the Front street restaurant and despite how tempting that is, it's too far and she just can't do the late nights anymore. They've left it open for her to decide. She doesn't have long.

She thinks with her experience Health Services would be a good fit (Evaluating whether or not restaurants meet the requirements for a healthy/safe food establishment). She doesn't have a diploma or degree in Hotel & Restaurant management. She's looking into courses/diploma, but wants something that's 2 years. She just wants to get in and out.. find a job and work. She can't afford a 4 year degree. She's found a few, but isn't sure if these courses will get her anywhere. Will they be just a waste of time and money?

I think she'd be an amazing person to teach a College course in Hospitality and Tourism, but after checking they seem to want people with a Master's degree. So, do her years of experience count for nothing?

Anyway, I think she needs a Career Counsellor in this area (Hospitality and Tourism) who can help her make a decision and give her the real scoop. Does anyone here know of one?

Last edited:

djfear

TRIBE Member
She sounds like a veteran in the industry. Don't let some pimply faced PhD piece of paper requirement intimidate her. Those years of experience count for that.

Lines like "managed team of 40+", "$2.5 million in sales, with 10% increases yearly", or "owned and operated a restaurant for 5 years" means way more than "4 years of undergrad + masters in blah blah blah".

Sure she's not a scientist, or savvy in some technical skill but she sounds like she has her organizational and business skills intact and many of those are transferable to other career paths.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Perhaps she should make a move to head office. It would be an easy transition.

Like Liberty Grand.

Rather than just uproot. It's a tough one though rite. But it would be 9-5

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Otherwise the alternate advice I would provide would be event management. Tons of shit there.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
My Lady worked with a company called Managing Matters, in Toronto. The Lady CEO is making a killing right now managing events.

My Lady works at an conglomerate engineering company, now, and isn't as happy as she was working for her.

But it's all relative. Hell even My company has worked with these guys too.

Just food for thought.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I don't really think that mto my resume oving from one fast food chain to the next counts as "career change".

BUT....

I made a major career shift and it was only possible through continuous attention to my resume and strict focus on my next direction.

I went from international trade to SaaS and I did it without sucking too many dicks.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Well ok, one dick, but I liked it, so, it was OK.

It was in a back room at Loblaw's, so, really didn't have anything to do with my work.

PS: Israel on Wednesday!

מצורף:

מר Madill

אנחנו מעוניינים בגישה שלךללוחמה א-סימטרית שאינו אלימה .

יש לנו להעריך את ההצעה שלךלמנגנוני התערבות רובוטית מיקרוסקופים .

אנו מתבקשים מזמינים אותך לתל אביב כדי לדון בטכנולוגיה זו . יש לנו מסודרולבקש שתבואו מטורונטו YYZ לתל אביב, TLV בן גוריוןונארגן תחבורה נוספת .

כל ההוצאות תשולםמיוני 3 רביעי לשלושה ימים untill ההחזר . אין ספק , יש לך שאלות נוספות , אנא העבר אותם .

תקשורת זו היא סודית .

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Sorry man, I just can't keep up with you, and I deleted that because I thought I was coming against you........

Crap brother you're amazing. I get your vibe 100% , and Don't suck too many dicks.

you gotta get up at some point and move forward.

I can keep up with this. but I've been destroyed to the point where I don't even can't keep it together.

I try so bad to solidify

Last edited:

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Hmm - I think the best solution is to go out and do informational interviews.

I'm posting this, because I realise this is what I have to do. Now I need to find a biomedical engineer and a industrial designer.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lucky1

TRIBE Member
did Casey's have benefits? (health medical etc) If so check if there is an E.A.P (employee assistance plan) portion that would offer free access to career councilors and other psycho/social/legal type things. Often there is a free referal and consultation, and then a reduced fee to continue accessing services. If she was laid off or given notice the benefits may continue for a period of time after she is no longer working there.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Spaboy sugar mama
Thanks for the offer Spaboy. She's already got herself a younger man (her husband). :p

She sounds like a veteran in the industry. Don't let some pimply faced PhD piece of paper requirement intimidate her. Those years of experience count for that.

Lines like "managed team of 40+", "$2.5 million in sales, with 10% increases yearly", or "owned and operated a restaurant for 5 years" means way more than "4 years of undergrad + masters in blah blah blah".

Sure she's not a scientist, or savvy in some technical skill but she sounds like she has her organizational and business skills intact and many of those are transferable to other career paths.
That's what I'm hoping. I think she is feeling somewhat intimidated by all the degrees required. I told her to go for certain positions she knows she can do and submit resumés anyway.

Perhaps she should make a move to head office. It would be an easy transition.

Like Liberty Grand.

Rather than just uproot. It's a tough one though rite. But it would be 9-5
She's done head office as well for The Fox & Fiddle (Haroutunians). They sent her over to open their first two restaurants in Vancouver. She was there for a year. She asked to return after everything was set up. She couldn't stand the weather (Too grey and rainy). It was after that when she opened her own restaurant. She's looking for a shift really. Something that will challenge her.

Thank you, I will pass that on KMW :)

did Casey's have benefits? (health medical etc) If so check if there is an E.A.P (employee assistance plan) portion that would offer free access to career councilors and other psycho/social/legal type things. Often there is a free referal and consultation, and then a reduced fee to continue accessing services. If she was laid off or given notice the benefits may continue for a period of time after she is no longer working there.
Good point! I will ask her. :)

Last edited:

DJ elektron-

TRIBE Member
spyder terminator-x sunglasses, sandworm trader, boba fet's agent, light saber repair,
skype fraud department, mischief counsellor, Gov't systems integrity rep,
Pork Quality Control Associate, Cyder can recycling, 7-11 Jersey sales,
Nintendo IT Professor, James Bond Brand Barfbag for Airlines Sales,
Coma Brand Canned Mushed Peas and of course Silly Sally Eye Makeup Pyramid Marketing.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Freshly returned, I'd like to chime in some more sober advice.

It sounds like she's about to lose her job because of business decisions that are out of her control. This has happened to me too.

In my case, and in all likelihood her case, there are easy possibilities for a horizontal move. That is, to take a similar position somewhere else. I moved horizontally for financial reasons -- there's noone to take care of me if the money flow stops (well... ). You mentioned she's married, so, depending on her situation, she may have some buffer time to reorient without impossible financial strain.

I claim to have changed careers because I went from a very conservative, heacy industry environment back to a youthful, tech environment. How did I do that?

First of all, she should be prepared that it takes time. By time I mean perhaps a year.

Did she go to school? If so, she should make contact with them and they will invariably have career counselling services that are actually very helpful. Post secondary institutions are desperate to make their employment stats look good so they do bend over backwards to help grads, which seems to be an open secret. This is a suggestion if she doesn't already know what she wants to do next.

If she does know, then the key is perseverance. Write, rewrite, re-email, research your resume to hell. It's boring and often discouraging but it's necessary. Use LinkedIn to stalk people and pester them.

She'll get lots of "no"s, question marks, and false starts, but it's the only way to eventually hit the mark.

There are practical matters in the meantime but she'll manage. Things that seemed like hard rules in the past, suddenly start to be very flexible.

I wish her luck!

-jM
A&D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders