• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Seattle / San Francisco / LA / and points in-between

juice

TRIBE Member
So has anyone ever here ever done the great west coast road trip? We're planning on doing it in May of this year and we're starting the planning process right now. Going to be flying to Vancouver for several days to visit my sister. Bus it down to Seattle spend a few days there and then rent a car and hit the road. Stops in San Francisco and LA (then to Irvine for a few days to visit more family) for sure but can anyone recommend some other "must see" destinations along the coast? Or even some tips on long term car rentals in the US? We're going to be ending up either in LA or driving to Vegas for a few nights and flying back to Toronto out of either of those cities. Our timeframe is pretty flexible as well as our budget. So if anyone has any ideas or whatever they are welcome.

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
I've done the San Fran-LA part. Take the PCH, I loved Carmel, and Santa Barbara the most in that stretch. The California Riviera is amazing

labRat

TRIBE Member
how long are you doing this for?

i think the trip from seattle to san fran is particularily long and boring.

juice

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mr tall
I've done the San Fran-LA part. Take the PCH, I loved Carmel, and Santa Barbara the most in that stretch. The California Riviera is amazing
Yeah the driving I've done so far on the PCH has been incredible and that is the plan to basically follow it. I've already spent time in Santa Barbara not Carmel though but I've heard so much about it so that's part of the plan I think.

juice

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by labRat
how long are you doing this for?

i think the trip from seattle to san fran is particularily long and boring.
We have 2 - 3 weeks ... yeah the Seattle to San Fran part is probably going to be the low point. That's why I was looking for some kooky things or whatever that might be worth seeing along the way.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

labRat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mr tall
yes. Hwy 1 from San Fran all the way.

Santa Cruz, Carmel, Monteray, Fucking Gilroy, Santa Barbara (very nice), smoggy LA!!!

labRat

TRIBE Member
LA to San Diego is a good trip. Then you can go to Tijuana and visit the 'rippers (aka whorehouses).

juice

TRIBE Member
LA to San Diego is a good trip. Then you can go to Tijuana and visit the 'rippers (aka whorehouses).
I forgot to mention this is also in the plan. Is Tijuana a day trip though? I'd rather get a place in San Diego and make the trek down and come back. I want to see a donkey show!

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by juice
I forgot to mention this is also in the plan. Is Tijuana a day trip though? I'd rather get a place in San Diego and make the trek down and come back. I want to see a donkey show!
yeah if you're in SanDiego, go to La Jolla, beatiful area

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

labRat

TRIBE Member
you don't want to spend a night in tijuana. get a place in san diego, take the rail car to the border (15 minute ride) and spend the day/evening in tijuana. the last rail car comes back at midnightish, but you can always catch a cab.

DON'T get too drunk, as you have to get back across the border.

very much a day trip.

labRat

TRIBE Member
if you plan on going wine tasting, i would recommend Sonoma Valley versus Napa. Fewer tourists and more places that have free wine tasting. Overall better experience.

athough, mr tall may have something to say about that one.

juice

TRIBE Member
you don't want to spend a night in tijuana. get a place in san diego, take the rail car to the border (15 minute ride) and spend the day/evening in tijuana. the last rail car comes back at midnightish, but you can always catch a cab.

DON'T get too drunk, as you have to get back across the border.

very much a day trip.
Nice this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much. I have some friends that have tried to tell me that staying in Tijuana was a good time. Although their idea of a good time is being coke'd out of their heads with Mexican strippers. Wait why don't I want to stay there?

HMHA

TRIBE Member
i drove from san fran up the coast to vancouver several summers ago.

it's breathtaking! the red woods, the ocean.. oregon is beautiful... although i've been to LA, i've never driven from LA to SF.

hwy 1 takes you all the way up!

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
did the PCH in '95 (LA to SF)...there's few places not to stop in if you had the time...I'll try not to repeat any already mentioned but also Big Bear, San Luis Obispo, Hearst's Castle (can't remember exactly where that's near). Near San Fran, I'd do Marin Country, Sausalito, Berkeley, San Jose, Stanford.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
if you plan on going wine tasting, i would recommend Sonoma Valley versus Napa. Fewer tourists and more places that have free wine tasting. Overall better experience.

athough, mr tall may have something to say about that one.
haven't been to either, so I couldn't say

juice

TRIBE Member
Did all of you do this trip in rental cars? Did you run into any obstacles with doing that? So far the "return charge" for the cars as we're going to be picking up in Seattle and dropping off in either LA or Vegas seems pretty hefty.

HMHA

TRIBE Member
napa is gorgeous but pricey.. it helps to have some hooksup. when you drive into napa.. the smell is overwhelming. the air smells delicious!

tayo

TRIBE Member
awesome state parks all the way down the CA coast.. deserts and mountains and redwood trees, canyons and weird tucked away swimming holes with clear blue water and huge flat rocks to sunbathe on.. and NO ONE else around, perfectly silent and beautiful.. San Fran and Reno were cool, but what I really remember the most fondly are some of the gorgeous wild spaces.. wish i could remember some actual park names - maybe i'll dig some up and get back to ya

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
When are you going in May. I am pratically making the same trip. We're flying out to Seattle, then driving down to San Fran, but that's as far South as we're going. We have to drive back up to Seattle before we leave to come back to Toronto. I will prolly make the same thread in about a month or two.

How far is San Diego from San Fran? Anything good to do while in town?

juice

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by thom100
if you are in Cali around May1st I recommend going to Coachella!

and for rental cars try www.foxrentacar.com . good prices.
Yeah I already posted in the Coachella about possibly going ... I'd love to but it totally depends on the timing.

Gotta love the title of the foxrentacar.com home page "Car Rental, Cheap Car Rental, Cheap Car Rentals, Car Rentals from Fox Rent a Car" I'll check them out thanks!