• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Search your Desktop with Google

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

twist

TRIBE Member
wow... thankgod for sherlock... inviting anything like google into my comp is like... death on a stick.

you think googly googly googly's fast you should try OS X.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by twist
wow... thankgod for sherlock... inviting anything like google into my comp is like... death on a stick.

you think googly googly googly's fast you should try OS X.

what

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

bitchass

TRIBE Member
is currently completly incompatible with any installation of NOD32 antivirus. As much as I'd like to try this out, I'll wait until this is fixed.

twist

TRIBE Member
stupid insomnia i love you. did a trial on a sealed off drive... liquid cooled dual 2.5 ghz won.

twist

TRIBE Member
on the whole it was pretty fast tho. i just don't trust third party stuff touching my primary HD... especially when i think of just how rampant google is in just about everything... personally i don't use sherlock much... cept for command-f gimme now. i stick with omni disk sweeper/volume works/system optimizer. depending on what kind of file searching i want. didn't find any invisible files either. das a no no. (hooray for vpc if the gl engine was faster i wouldn't even need a pc for gaming anymore)

gasper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by twist
stupid insomnia i love you. did a trial on a sealed off drive... liquid cooled dual 2.5 ghz won.

Did you allow Google to fully index the drive before running said trial?

I can't believe how fast Google is at locating files. Although I can't run a test on a MAC myself, I've used Sherlock and don't remember it being nearly as quick as this.

twist

TRIBE Member
yup. i don't really think it's a fair test... the dual g5 is purdy kwik... but even then vpc only uses half the processor speed and ram. once sherlock has made an index command-f is like... nuclear quick. that first indexing does take a while tho sometimes... but again i'm not such a huge fan of sherlock cause of it's lack of ability to find all invisible files... as well as indexing .app contents files. i'm kind of anal about my primary HD... nothing goes on it that hasn't been fully opened, explored and/or edited in resorcerer. Plus little snitch. I've just found too many programs trying to hide too much shit and/or trying to talk to remote servers while i'm not looking.

phunkymunky

TRIBE Member
this sounds kinda cool but is completely useless to me. i know where everything is on my computer. it's so organized it's disgusting. lol.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Well, my visual studio development environment mysteriously crashed about 5 time since I installed this thing. Removed it and my computer's running fine again.. bye bye google indexer

Old Yeller

TRIBE Member
I have to agree, what a major time saver this is!

I also have to sing my praises for Picassa...wonderfully Mac inspired PC software :D

labRat

TRIBE Member
Is there any alternatives to this? My IT dept doesn't like me using it as it could be deemed spyware, so I uninstalled it. But I loved how fast it searched for emails and cached web pages ... it was impressive to say the least.

using outlook search function is PAINFUL