• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Scuba @ Wrongbar

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Now THAT was a fun night.

Arrived in time to catch the opening act, and though they had some programming (and maybe some mixer/sound issues), they pulled through for their last few tracks and led up to Scuba nicely.

From the moment Scuba came on, it was a great progressing from more mid tempo house, to full on chuggin' bangin' tunes with deep wobbly basslines.

Throw in an up for it crowd (sprinkled with fine looking ladies), a nice warm sound system, and it all came together for a fun night.

Great job Houseaddict/Embrace/Galapagos/Wrongbar.

Till next time.

erika

TRIBE Member
Hmm, different strokes for different folks I guess :)

We got there for the last part of Sean Roman's set with whomever he was spinning with. I always like Sean's sets, and the part that I heard of this one was good.

Scuba came on and the beginning of his set was great, then it just turned into what sounded to me like rather tedious frat-boy bangers, one after the other, really really uninteresting.

So we left well before last call, back to Bambi's where the party was great and continued to be so for quite some time.

Scuba's set was pretty reminiscent of what had happened when I saw him at Social.

And that's why I won't bother going to see him again. To me, he exemplifies the statement that a good producer does not necessarily a great dj make.

Taro

TRIBE Member
Hmm, different strokes for different folks I guess :)

We got there for the last part of Sean Roman's set with whomever he was spinning with. I always like Sean's sets, and the part that I heard of this one was good.

MOre on Sean's set - he's blown up since I left TO and I want to know how's he's doing these days?

- I love Scuba's most recent album, it's utter gold, did he play anything off it?

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
my two cents:

i thought scuba was great.

sean roman was too up and down for me and i couldn't get into what i was hearing.

the sound system got really painful shortly after scuba came on.

the crowd was annoying - there was a mini orgy happening on the dancefloor and super fucked up girls in the bathroom. the youth of today!!! LOL

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
sounds like a good time

u suck. it was walking distance from u, there was no line up - so we chucked all our winter coats in the car.

yeah what I loved the most - his set reminded me a lot of what he played in NYC.

Had a greaaat time! I did not witness this orgy, but there was some dude who was sporting his boxers and I almost snapped them.

He looked like a grumpy cat when he appeared on stage, I did yell, "SMILE ASSHOLE" he slightly smirked. This could be the figment of my imagination, but I do yell LOUD when need be.

Now I will post delicious tracks that I'm quite positive we heard that night.

[YOUTUBE]-VGFxBPgOHw[/YOUTUBE]
^ love ^

[YOUTUBE]goCOXDV0u30[/YOUTUBE]
^ that sample is stuck in my head today

Taro

TRIBE Member
you mean DnB origins, that's what he started producing... :eek:
cheers for the link - I have set to hear a Sean Roman set at a club,

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
I was kind of disappointed overall.

The openers were OK, I used to love Sean's d&b material (under "Mutt") but I was pretty bored with the kind of stuff he played on Friday.

Scuba wasn't great. I am a huge fan of the guy's music and particularly the album tracks, but he wasn't strong last year at Mansion and I wasn't crazy about the set at Wrongbar.

TBF, I really love his own tracks so much that I was mainly disappointed to hear so few of them. I left at 2:30 but at that point I only recognized hearing Hardbody (which sounded fantastic and was the tune of the night), a few bits from his Fact mix, and one other from Personality.

Where was The Hope or Talk Torque or Action or DSY CHN or NE1BUTU or ANYTHING from Triangulation?

This got brought up on Twitter and he says he doesnt play The Hope anymore because "I made it 2 years ago". and isn't interested in "playing the hits".

So sorry that your FANS actually like YOUR fucking tunes, fuck you.

DJ's are such self-righteous cunts sometimes.

I still really respect Scuba's music output, but I haven't seen a quality set from him since Drake Underground in 2010, so I'm not so sure I'd see him live again.

Consider this....last summer when Mansion brought him, there was a huge crowd (mainly because of Mansions rep), when I left at 2:30 on Friday when Scuba was still playing....there was maybe 150 people left in Wrongbar.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

octo

TRIBE Member
i guess this a totally different Scuba than the guy who worked at Yoshitoshi back in the day?

rentboy

TRIBE Member
i guess this a totally different Scuba than the guy who worked at Yoshitoshi back in the day?

Yeah, that Scuba was an alter ego of King Britt's.

As for this Scuba, i enjoyed his set for an hour or so, then he played a string of what i can only refer to as awkward tracks. A bit of build, then a rather anti-climactic core section that felt like the sonic equivalent of trudging up a steep hill backwards, in waist-deep mud.
We decided after these floor-killing moments to head back to Bambi's for better vibes.

Scuba needs to smile more and look like he's enjoying himself.

I doubt i'll give him a third try, which is a shame because i've always enjoyed his productions.

erika

TRIBE Member
you mean DnB origins, that's what he started producing... :eek:
cheers for the link - I have set to hear a Sean Roman set at a club,

My bad! I always knew him as "sean, cody and rob's friend" until someone sais to me "he's great,he was producing as mutt, some great blablabla tracks" and I obviously wasn't really paying attention :p