• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Scotland.

afterglow

TRIBE Member
I didn't want to write one of these threads, but I am heading to Glasgow next month.

I need all the information, cheap hotels, cool pubs, clubs, restaurants and I can get!

Thanks!

kmac

TRIBE Member
OK, can't help so much with the club stuff, but if you're going to Glasgow it's all about Glasgow architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh. I would recommend a stop into one of the Willow Tea Rooms (there's one on Buchanan St. and one on Suchiehall St.) where he designed everything up in the piece.

thom100

TRIBE Member
Hey afterglow,

Glasgow is fun... are you looking for BandB's , hotels or hostels...I've stayed in them all there and canreccomend a few.

As for night life , my favorite bar is Nice n Sleazy on Sauchiehall Street. It is a 'rock' alternative club. I guess it would be kinda a mix between sneaky Dee's and the Bovine here. Sauchiehall is the street that runs off the University ground and has most of the pubs/bars/club so it is kinda important to stay somewhere close to that.

There is a tone of stuff to do in the city. But if you're over there I do suggest making the hour and 10 minute train trip over to Edinburgh as well.

kmac

TRIBE Member
I'm such a geek, but every time I go to Glasgow, I stop into the Museum of Transport. As far as I know, it's free admission to this and to all of Glasgow's museums. You can check out the list here.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
My recommendation -- Try the haggis!

I can't remember where it came from, but the haggis I ate in Glasgow was surprisingly good.

afterglow

TRIBE Member
I will be going by myself. I'm looking for a place to stay that is under 30£, but isn't a hostel. This is my impromptu trip that I've been needing.

What is the easiest way of transport around the city?

kmac

TRIBE Member
Walking or taking public transit, if you want to do it on the cheap.

And as my gran always says: "Watch your purse around the junkies."

deevah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by afterglow
I will be going by myself. I'm looking for a place to stay that is under 30£, but isn't a hostel. This is my impromptu trip that I've been needing.

try B&Bs?

thom100

TRIBE Member
for only 30 pounds you'l be lucky to find even a BB, try getting a single room in a hostel...they'll run you about 35-40 pounds. where as a BB single will be about 50/night. Transport is easy, its a fairly small city so you can walk. There is a subway aka Agent Orange , but if you're a walker its a waste of time.

You can chance it with accomidations and just show up and go to the main train station ( queen Street if I remember correctly ) and they have a booth with last minute hotel/BB deals. You can do this at the Scotish Tourism office at the airport as well , and they will find you the best deal for 4 pounds. I used it in peak season this summer and it worked well, saved 15 pounds a night over booking in advance.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
right across from nice n sleazy is a club called garage, it was packed nad fun when we went, but more inteh retro and top 40 rock way than in electronic music kind of way. we didn't find any 'our type of clubs' when we were in glasgow (we were only ther one night, though thom went himself years ago as well.) in edinburgh though we went to this totally fun 'our type of club' called The Venue. When you get there pick up a magazine called... um... look? thom, what was that magazine with all the club listings called?

the guest house we stayed in in glasgow was called The Schoolhouse, but I can't really recommend it as the shower in our room didn't work and they didn't give us the wake up call we ordered. as thom says, if you can last chance it they have the best last minute deal booths in every bus and train station and airport.

thom100

TRIBE Member
I'll try to find some of the links for where I've stayed when I visited a couple years ago tonight and pass them on.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by thom100
I'll try to find some of the links for where I've stayed when I visited a couple years ago tonight and pass them on.
do you really think that park bench has a website?

thom100

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
do you really think that park bench has a website?
hey now...after 18 shots of whiskey a park bench is a reasonable place to crash for the night. You try finding a hostel in that shape.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by thom100
hey now...after 18 shots of whiskey a park bench is a reasonable place to crash for the night. You try finding a hostel in that shape.
if i recall our retracing the steps of the night in question during out stay, the hostel was about 10 steps away from the infamous park bench....

m0ff

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr. Grinch
If you visit Rutherglen (my hometown) I'd love some pictures. Haven't been home since I moved here :(
Wanna go next summer?!*

*fer serious.