• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Scotch

Vise

TRIBE Member
Duty free action from San Fran, added another bottle of Balvenie to the collection... 16 year Triple Cask. They also had a 25 Triple Cask but it was just a bit pricey. :)

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
Duty free action from San Fran, added another bottle of Balvenie to the collection... 16 year Triple Cask. They also had a 25 Triple Cask but it was just a bit pricey. :)

nice. grabbed this beauty when i was in south carolina last week from a little liquor store in hilton head. i spent an hour just looking around at all the glorious brown liquor they had in there.

Vise

TRIBE Member
i spent an hour just looking around at all the glorious brown liquor they had in there.
Yeah tell me about it... visiting any remotely decent liquor store in the US makes you realize how fucking bullshit the LCBO is. It is all about mass market/moving product vs sourcing unique and interesting wine/spirits.

Good news is I'm in San Fran again next week and staying about 5mins away from Union Square and The Whisky Shop. We'll see what kind of damage I can do this time.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
How many bottles do you guys have open at any given point in time? I buy the odd bottle here and there now, but don't open them as I have about 20 bottles that are opened and getting close to about a year old. So, I figured to drink them first in a blaze of glory before I open any more lol

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I've only got about a 10 bottles of scotch and bourbon on the go right now. It's a best practice to finish any bottle less than 1/3 full relatively quickly as the air will rapidly deteriorate the quality of the whiskey.

Vise

TRIBE Member
I have roughly 10 open bottles (mostly scotch, some bourbon) open as well. That doesn't count the Elijah Craig 12 that is going down like water around my place.

I'm also concerned about age impact on open bottles but so far no issues... I've been enjoying my open bottle of Bruichladdich First Growth 16 year (Sauternes Cask) this week and it is even better than I remembered it. I looked back in this thread and appears I opened it 3 years ago too.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I'm flying to Oslo, Morocco, Madrid, and London (half day) in September. At the end of my trip I will try to make it out to the Whiskey Exchange in London and pick up a few bottles. Not sure how broke I'll be by the end of the trip but I will definitely try to get some rare stuff. Knowing myself I'll end up grabbing more 15 & 20y Yoichi. :p

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
I'm starting to get acquainted with more types of scotch and so far I have to say that I prefer Islay scotches over the rest. I've only tried 2 different Laphraoigs (10 yr and Quarter Cask) but I love them both so much.

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Peated Scotches are the bees knees. A couple of bottles of Laphroaig QC kept me warm last winter, and a restock for this year is certainly in the cards.

Speaking of peated single malts, who can tell me of some not too over the top ($50-$100) bottles that can be found in the U.S., that perhaps don't appear on the shelves of our beloved LCBO? My best mate is driving up from Minn. this year, and there's a liquor store in Duluth that stocks over 50 different bottles. I asked for a price list, but they said it's better if I tell them what I'm looking for.

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
My, my...looks like I'm going to have to make a couple of selections - the pricing on some of these bottles is just over half of what we'd pay up here in Canuckistan.

Laphroaig 18 Year
Laphroaig Cairdeas Portwood
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Lagavulin 16 Year

Leaning toward the Cairdeas and the Ardberg.

Liability

TRIBE Member
Peated Scotches are the bees knees. A couple of bottles of Laphroaig QC kept me warm last winter, and a restock for this year is certainly in the cards.

Speaking of peated single malts, who can tell me of some not too over the top ($50-$100) bottles that can be found in the U.S., that perhaps don't appear on the shelves of our beloved LCBO? My best mate is driving up from Minn. this year, and there's a liquor store in Duluth that stocks over 50 different bottles. I asked for a price list, but they said it's better if I tell them what I'm looking for.
I discovered and loved the Kilchoman from Islay. Much more subtle the the Laphroaig but the same delicious peat. The LCBO carried it in limited release at about 90 a bottle.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Picked up a bottle of the Glenfiddich 15 Year "Solera" - matured in sherry, bourbon and new oak casks...

I'm a bourbon guy so this really appeals to me - the bourbon taste really comes through but it's still a single malt ... sort of a best of both worlds scenario.

SyKicK

TRIBE Member
Picked up a bottle of the The Balvenie DoubleWood at the Superstore. They seem to have the best prices on Scotch here in Calgary. Trying to hold off on opening it as I still have a bottle of Glenlivet 15 and Lagavulin 16 open. I read a few of you saying your scotch kind of went funny when left sitting open for too long.

Now the question is what bottle to ask for, for Christmas =)

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
I got to try Hibiki 17-year recently. Balanced, lots of flavour but low on that peaty smokiness that almost everyone (including me) likes. It is a very good whiskey. The bartender said it was 17€ for an ounce, but practially poured me an entire glass, like a quadruple. Excellent sipping (and subsequent tipping).

Vise

TRIBE Member
I got to try Hibiki 17-year recently.
Nice... one of my guys at work got a gift from our team in Japan for helping out with some training. Hibiki 21 year!! I just about fell off my chair when he showed it to me. Jealous.

Same guy picked up a bottle of Nikka Miyagikyo 15 year when we were in San Fran late October... we walked over to The Whisky Shop and they just happened to be doing a Nikka tasting. Lucky timing, we got to try almost the full range of Yoichi (12/15), Miyagikyo (12/15), Pure Malt (17/21). :D

I haven't snagged much new aside from a couple of different Balvenies... 15 year Single Barrel and 12 year Triple Cask (1L). Been crushing the 12 Triple Cask and it is fantastic.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I know this is the Scotch thread, but I picked up a bottle of the 2004 Evan Williams Single Barrel over the weekend and it's a good whiskey for the price. Heavy notes of vanilla and a smooth balanced taste and finish. It's not a particularly complex whiskey and at the times the sweet notes seem too unfirom and leave me wanting for something with a bit more going on, but there's no denying this is serious bourbon value. I think it would make a great Old Fashioned.

7/10

Vise

TRIBE Member
I know this is the Scotch thread, but I picked up a bottle of the 2004 Evan Williams Single Barrel over the weekend and it's a good whiskey for the price. Heavy notes of vanilla and a smooth balanced taste and finish. It's not a particularly complex whiskey and at the times the sweet notes seem too unfirom and leave me wanting for something with a bit more going on, but there's no denying this is serious bourbon value. I think it would make a great Old Fashioned.

7/10
You know there is a bourbon thread right? :D

Jokes aside thanks for the input, I have a bottle of the Evan Williams Single Barrel at home but not sure if it is the 2003 or 2004... I grabbed it a couple months ago. If I recall it was on the pricier side though relative to something like the Elijah Craig 12 year.

djfear

TRIBE Member
My current whiskey selection is very weak and lately I've been getting into cocktails, but one day! *shakes fist at sky* One day I will return to my former glory of ridiculous whiskies.

Of all the Japanese whiskies I've had, the Yoichi 15y & 20y were my favourites (almost equally). The Yoichi Single Cask 1987 was also fantastic (aged 23y), though it was quite strong so it was a bit more complicated to taste.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
You know there is a bourbon thread right? :D

Jokes aside thanks for the input, I have a bottle of the Evan Williams Single Barrel at home but not sure if it is the 2003 or 2004... I grabbed it a couple months ago. If I recall it was on the pricier side though relative to something like the Elijah Craig 12 year.
I think this one ran me $50, so $10 more than the Elijah Craig, which considering it is a single barrel bourbon, is pretty cheap. This bottle retails in the States for less than $30.

Vise

TRIBE Member
I think this one ran me $50, so $10 more than the Elijah Craig, which considering it is a single barrel bourbon, is pretty cheap. This bottle retails in the States for less than $30.
Hmm I thought it was like $60 or so... took a look and I do have the 2003 so maybe they dropped the price a bit. Seems unlikely.

And don't get me started on bourbon prices in the US... Elijah Craig 12 is like $25 at most places down there. I'm back in San Fran in a couple weeks and I'm almost positive I know where to track down a bottle of Michter's 10 year, we'll see how that goes.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
Couple of tipples I've had the chance to taste recently (coworker has parents who live in Scotland, and constantly bring him bottles when they visit.)

Bruichladdick 1989 Black Art 2.2: pretty complex nose and boozy @ nearly 50%abv. cut it with a little drop of filtered water and it opened up beautifully.

these two were amazing. i love Islay to begin with (my gramps used to rub Lagavulin on my gums when i was a baby), so i'm a fan of "the dirtier the better" type scotches. The supernova was amazing.
Ardbeg Supernova | Ardbeg

c.