• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Scotch

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
The Hibiki 17 is sublime, any one disparaging blends don't know what they're talking about until they've tried something like that or JW Blue. Macallan, good stuff but knows how to command a price for their brand. There are things just as well for less. Oban and Glenkinchie come to mind for the easy side of the spectrum.

This image map is pretty good

XYYvb.jpg

That is a dope fucking chart!

I just snagged me a highland 18 (decided to try smokey for a bit), a macallan 12, a macallan 18, and picked up another bottle of glenlivet 21.

Surprisingly, I almost prefer the macallan 12 over the 18 and glenlivet 21 -almost. For a 12, it really, really appeals to me.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
I'm the worst savouring a bottle. I would love to be one of those guys who has 15 bottles on hand, but instead I'm the guy who pours 3 finger belts and enjoys the shit out of it every opportunity.

I'd say an average bottle lasts me a month. tops...you?

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
I buy a new bottle of scotch every friday, I have 5 on the go right now, a bottle usually lasts 2 or 3 weeks as I only drink on weekends, and share it with whomever comes by. I've got quite the collection of almost empties... because I retire the bottles when there's 2oz left in case I ever want to taste it again. I currently have 27 almost empty bottles.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I'm the worst savouring a bottle. I would love to be one of those guys who has 15 bottles on hand, but instead I'm the guy who pours 3 finger belts and enjoys the shit out of it every opportunity.

I'd say an average bottle lasts me a month. tops...you?

Yeah, I can't savour shit. If they're going down easy, I just keep the party going lol It's becoming really expensive because the only way I can have anything that resembles a collection is if I purchase the scotch faster than I consume it.

A couple weeks ago, 2 friends and I tuned 2.5 bottles of scotch back: glenlivet 21, glenfiddich 18, and a mcallan 15. It's starting to become clear now why they always come over to my place to drink... I should start charging those assholes.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
I'm on my way over to your place right now :)

I had this idea where I was going to get a bottle with every pay cheque next year but not open anything for a whole year, so I had 24 bottles at the start of 2014... god knows if that's realistic but I like it in principal.

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
This has been my favourite new whisky I've tried this year:

The Arran Malt Finished in a Sauternes Cask

Around the $80 mark at LCBO.

the arran is my favourite distillery,

always a different cask, always a unique flavour imparted into the scotch.. the wood plays such a major factor in the aging process as well as what the cask was previously used for...

learning about louis 13 barrels, remy xo barrels and the selection process just baffles me every time!

read up on the art of making icon cognac...

fingers crossed i get selected to go to scotland to make my own cask beer!

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
balvenie has a nice rum cask edition that imparts a really nice unique flavour since we're on the topic of woods. I usually like sherry and cognac casks, but this was really interesting.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I can let tasty bottles sit in my cupboard for months and months without drinking them, though beer & wine usually go pretty quickly.

But we'll see with these cold temperatures...

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Holy shitballs.

I had the pleasure of trying a glenfarclas 17 yesterday at a pub. I liked it so much that I went out and bought a bottle of it. Was not aware that they're about $110 a pop.

There's a 40 beside it that was $500. I might buy that once I finish building my project car. Maybe that'll give me some motivation to pick up the pace lol

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
It was the one on the right. I figured to expand my tastes a bit in lieu of the scotch chart deep posted and picked up a dalwhinnie 15.

24451_10152454992670430_524903467_n.jpg

The glenfarclas 17 is 43% boozeroonie. Good stuff, I tell ya. Apparently, it's finished in a sherry cask.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Also snagged a Glenfarclas 21 and 25 the past couple of weeks.

Holy moses. The 21 is fucking delicious -think spiced honey. Quite possibly one of the silkiest and smoothest scotches I've ever had. Moreso than the 25. After half a bottle, however, it gets pretty boring as it's not super complex, IMO. Filtered so you don't really get to experience the full-on oiliness which I think it needs. Nobody will ever have a bad thing to say about this scotch.

The 25 is like the 21, but it didn't seem to go down nearly as smoothly, but worlds more complex. Everything from honey to hints of fresh coffee. I super duper enjoy this one. Initial tastes come off as a bit peaty, but I mistakened the oak for peat. Haven't bought something this old before so I was taken back a bit. Second time around, I got a hardon for this bottle.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Sucks I'm not in a position to blow boat loads of cash on whiskey these days. My 20 year Yoichi is getting low a bit so I may have to hold on to it for a while, at least until my main man Todd Osborn has some.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Sorted out a nice bottle of Glenfarclas 30 yesterday. Gonna get popped for my GF's brother's wedding this weekend in Banff.

Fuck me was that ever expensive.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Not scotch, but related.

Had a friend bring me a bottle of Dunkeld Atholl Brose to my house party last weekend.

Blew me away.

The best (scotch) whiskey based liquere i've ever touched

117145.jpg

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Have not found a whiskey liqueur i've liked yet. That shit just doesn't blend no matter how much maple or whatever you add.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Have not found a whiskey liqueur i've liked yet. That shit just doesn't blend no matter how much maple or whatever you add.

Really? I loved it. it's pretty new. Give it a Try.

Speaking of Maple - the same night, I also tried Sortilège, which is a Canadian whiskey liqueur made with maple. I really enjoyed it on its own - and made a few great cocktails with it.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
My bottles of scotch were really fucking up my pantry so I finally pulled the trigger and put some shelves up to hold the scotch. Didn't turn out too bad. I forgot to level one bracket on the vertical (bottom left bracket). All the other brackets are fucking straight except that one and it's bugging the shit out of me. I used rather large drywall anchors too so I can't shimmy the bottom screw over 1/8-1/4 of an inch. So, it'll have to do.

60618_10152722881130430_1943142780_n.jpg

I did not know that the glemorangie nectar d'or was 46%. Neat. It's one of my faves!

Guess I should list them. From left to right, top to bottom: glenfarclas 25, glenfarclas 21, glenfarclas 17, glenmorangie extra rare, glenlivet 21, glenlivet 18, glenmorangie nectar d'or, dalwhinnie 15, highland 15, mccallan 12, and oban 16.

Missing from picture. Glenfiddich 18, glenlivet 12, and glenlivet 15.

Last edited:

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Have a $25 LCBO gift card that's burning a hole in my pocket, and since scotch is about the only alcohol I consume these days, I'm going to put it toward a half-decent bottle. The missus bought me a Dalwhinnie 15 last year, but I'm craving something more earthy this round. LCBO has Bruichladdich Organic on special, which roused some curiosity, but after reading up a bit I'm leaning toward the Port Charlotte An Turas Mor from the same.

Anyone experience either of these two?

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I've tried a bruichladdich before, but can't say that it was my thing. The uber peaty scotches are definitely out of my wheel house.

The dalwhinnie is really crisp, smooth, a touch of peat/smoke, and you get some notes of honey. So, it's super light.

Jumping to a bruichladdich is going to the other side of the spectrum, imo. If you have a hankering for something more earthy, I usually go for something a little more middle-ground; the oban 14 is great for the price as is the lagavulin 16. Both are Islay scotches so you'll get your peat.

Lagavulin Single Malt Scotch Whisky

I personally can't grow enough hair on my chest to be drinking anything with a full on peat.