• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Scotch

djfear

TRIBE Member
I don't know who suggested it, maybe somebody here, but it's the very best place on the whole planet.

That would be me. ;)

Ok. Now you have to go to the Singapore location and sit at the bar. Maybe Samson the bartender is still there and will whip up a whiskey cocktail in about 8 minutes and make you... as lonely island says "jizz in my pants".

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
yup, sadly that's all I got. I spent a metric fuckton on this trip, and just couldn't spare a few hundred more euros on booze, so I got something fun with a few tries in it.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Next time I'll go I will allocate at least a g note for rare booze and just bring it here. I need to start my Japanese whiskey collection again.

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
Hey y'all!
Another event to broadcast.

IMO the chance to try Bruichladdich Port Charlotte An Turas Mor + the now sold out Auchentoshan Valinch is well worth the price of admission...but we couldn't just stop there!

Thursday, July 12th at 7pm at Habits Gastropub, 928 College Street.

This one is going to be a little different as Habits reached out to us to help put together a menu to show off the strength and diversity of their kitchen via a whisky and food tasting. So the focus of this one is very much on the food and how it can tie in with various whiskies, and as such, we're not just doing Scotch this time!

The price is $35 for 5 whiskies paired with food and you'll need to book your ticket in advance with Habits to secure your place.

You can do this one of two ways:

By calling them directly at 416-533-7272 and using your credit card over the phone.
By going to the venue and paying in person.

The menu for the evening is a stunning miniaturized spin on a 5-course pub menu and includes:

Pear and tellegio cheese soup paired with Glenfiddich 12yr

An updated take on mushrooms on toast using king oyster mushrooms on brioche paired with Royal Canadian (a fantastic Canadian whisky that until recently was only available in the United States)

A mini Scotch egg using a quail egg wrapped in in-house smoked trout paired with Bushmills Irish Whiskey

Sweet braised pork belly paired with Bruichladdich Port Charlotte An Turas Mor

Apple bread pudding in a whisky caramel sauce paired with the Auchentoshan Valinch (this one is now sold out in Ontario)

As always, when there is only one bottle of something available, the space is limited to 40 people in total. So be sure to book soon if you're interested.

On behalf of everyone at ScotchBlog and Habits, we look forward to seeing you there.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I just picked up the Yamazuki 12 year, Hakushu 12 year and Hibiki 17 year. Not bad at all. I wished I'd gotten more of the 17 year but made the mistake of assuming single malts would be a better gamble than the blend.

I was hoping for the McCallan's but you never know what you're going to get in any given Duty Free.

deep

TRIBE Member
The Hibiki 17 is sublime, any one disparaging blends don't know what they're talking about until they've tried something like that or JW Blue. Macallan, good stuff but knows how to command a price for their brand. There are things just as well for less. Oban and Glenkinchie come to mind for the easy side of the spectrum.

This image map is pretty good

XYYvb.jpg

Last edited:

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
Currently back in Scotland for the immediate future, my local has a selection of over 300 Whiskys to choose from. I'm basically in Heaven!

Tonight's tipples were: Dailuaine, Teaninich, Ardbeg 1991 Connoseur's choice bottling, As We Get It Cask Strength Linkwood, Edradour Cask Strength and a Tomintoul 33.

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
Currently back in Scotland for the immediate future, my local has a selection of over 300 Whiskys to choose from. I'm basically in Heaven!

Tonight's tipples were: Dailuaine, Teaninich, Ardbeg 1991 Connoseur's choice bottling, As We Get It Cask Strength Linkwood, Edradour Cask Strength and a Tomintoul 33.

the ardbeg, and the edradour ones ive had, they are awesome! ardbeg has a new one coming out that's supposed to be top 2 peaty in world!

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
I am currently working in the bar I mentioned previously (300+ on the shelves) and giving serious thought to bringing my Whisky drinks/salesmanship back to Toronto in the new year possibly, where would be good places to apply for work if I do?

I'm good with mixed drinks and all that other shit but would love to have the uisge beatha as my main focus. Any ideas? If it helps, I am 100% Scottish and speak a wee bit of Gaelic if those are bonuses in my favour.

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
I am currently working in the bar I mentioned previously (300+ on the shelves) and giving serious thought to bringing my Whisky drinks/salesmanship back to Toronto in the new year possibly, where would be good places to apply for work if I do?

I'm good with mixed drinks and all that other shit but would love to have the uisge beatha as my main focus. Any ideas? If it helps, I am 100% Scottish and speak a wee bit of Gaelic if those are bonuses in my favour.

maybe feathers, caledonian, spirit house,

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
Cheers dude!

sort of good timing for this convo!

The Best Whisky Bars in Toronto

hit spirit house for sure, when you go, ask for brad gubbins, a friend of mine, tell him robin from fynns recommended you to go see their collection..

feathers is a must for sure...

im hosting a scotch tasting on monday 4 scotches 4 courses food $50 pm me if you want to attend 7pm..

we're tasting a 17 yr and a 21yr as well as 2 others ;)

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
Would love to attend dude but living in the Scottish Highlands at the moment! :p

Had a fine Glen Spey, Dallas Dhu '79 and a Port Ellen '80 in the last week, not so bad being back home :)

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
Would love to attend dude but living in the Scottish Highlands at the moment! :p

Had a fine Glen Spey, Dallas Dhu '79 and a Port Ellen '80 in the last week, not so bad being back home :)

i'll be coming your way in february to edingurgh to make beer ;)

i wont say which one, but fingers crossed, just waiting to find out if its 100%

i'll msg you if im coming over with deets..