• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Scotch

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
Glenmorangie, since being acquired by LVMH, is being positioned as a luxury brand. That's not saying it's bad whisky by any stretch but there's certainly an accessibility and boutique-ness about the brand's direction that gets reflected in pricing. In fact, they may be pricing themselves out of the market here in Ontario..but that's another argument. I have yet to have a disappointing bottling but I'd like to try some older bottlings pre-2004.

Aerius, I think you're a bit off on the complexity argument....try the Finealta, the Quinta Ruban, the 18yr or the Signet (which has one of the most amazingly long and evolving finishes I have ever tasted). These are beautiful expressions and while they don't hit you with a peat hammer, they are no less layered and complex than Lagavulin. There's a reason Glenmorangie consistently cleans up at the awards...

Frankly, everyone will like Glenmorangie and for good reason!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

defazman

TRIBE Member
Don't forget the Astar and the Nectar D'Or! And as for pricing, I can pick up a 1L bottle at costco for $48

Vise

TRIBE Member
I crushed most of a bottle of Balvenie 12 Doublewood on the weekend, not all that complex but very tasty/drinkable. A good every day scotch similar to the Glenfiddich 12.

Now I'm looking forward to trying the Balvenie 17 Madeira Cask I have in my collection... not opening it yet until I get through one of the 6 open bottles I have going first. :D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ethnik

TRIBE Member
Ardbeg 1974 Provenance.

Enjoyed a dram this very evening. Long story.

I may have just died and gone to peat-filled heaven.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
i'm heading to Scotland in october, and plan on spending copious amounts of time in distilleries while i'm there. my family is from Mull Island (a short ferry ride from the town of Oban), so touring the islands is high on my priority list. any recommendations from anyone who's been there?

c.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
had this delivered to my work yesterday.

23mvgir.jpg

c.

Vise

TRIBE Member
I picked up these two at Duty Free in the San Francisco airport... Glenorangie Signet and Macallan Whisky Maker's Edition, both 1L bottles too. The selection there was insane, so hard to pick just two for my wife and I ie. just me. Also considered the Glenfiddich 19 'Age of Discovery', Glenfiddich 21 'Gran Reserva', Macallan Estate Reserve, and a number of other options from Glenmorangie, Highland Park, etc etc. Easily the best duty free I've seen recently.

signet.jpg

12635580420.jpg

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
i'm heading to Scotland in october, and plan on spending copious amounts of time in distilleries while i'm there. my family is from Mull Island (a short ferry ride from the town of Oban), so touring the islands is high on my priority list. any recommendations from anyone who's been there?

c.

Where to go: Islay.
Stills to visit: Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin Distillery, Port Ellen.

Last edited:

djfear

TRIBE Member
Here's a tip for bringing alcohol across the border: At duty free you're only allowed 1 bottle / person, however there's nothing stopping you from buying more alcohol from other stores before you get to the airport or border and claiming that as well. You also have to buy at the duty free that is the country of your last stop, e.g. BKK --> HKK --> YYZ, You have to buy from HKK.

I regularly claim 2x, sometimes 3x 1L @ 40% alcohol and do not pay duty, however this is usually when I travel overseas through the airport and I'm gone for 2-5 weeks. i haven't tried by car though...

NEVER LIE ON THE CLAIM FORM. If you get checked then you're fucked and will get checked every single time.

gl*tch

TRIBE Member

c.

Just got back from a 3 wk distillery tour trip and a jaunt to Speyside for the Spring whisky festival so it's still fresh in mind!

Depending on the types of scotch you like:

Islay - Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Laphroaig, Ardbeg

Isle of Jura - Jura (If you've never had Jura you are seriously missing out. A fantastic Island distillery on a desolate deer-infested island. Meeting Willlie Cochrane will be entirely worth the extra ferry ride)

Speyside - Just go to Dufftown and take your pick of the distilleries. My faves: Glenfarclas, Balvenie, Macallan or Glenfiddich to see how the big boys do it! Be sure to hit Whisky Shop Duffotwn and prepare to have your mind blown, then walk down the high street to the corner shop where you'll find a lot of the on-label brands (not many independents) 15-20% cheaper.

Others: would've liked to hit Glengoyne, Highland Park, Clynelish. Oh ya, go to the Gordon + MacPhail shop in Elgin and lose your mind and your entire bank wad.

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
Where to go: Islay.
Stills to visit: Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin Distillery, Port Ellen.

Good luck getting into Port Ellen. No tours there. You'll have to do some serious digging and networking to be allowed in. Lagavulin is nice but they only have 2-3 expressions, it's a Diageo company and they are NOT interested in growing the line.

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
I picked up these two at Duty Free in the San Francisco airport... Glenorangie Signet and Macallan Whisky Maker's Edition, both 1L bottles too. The selection there was insane, so hard to pick just two for my wife and I ie. just me. Also considered the Glenfiddich 19 'Age of Discovery', Glenfiddich 21 'Gran Reserva', Macallan Estate Reserve, and a number of other options from Glenmorangie, Highland Park, etc etc. Easily the best duty free I've seen recently.

signet.jpg

12635580420.jpg

The Signet is amazing and so complex. Truly a luxury bottling. The Macallan IMHO tho... :( a bit of a let down.

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
Here's a tip for bringing alcohol across the border: At duty free you're only allowed 1 bottle / person, however there's nothing stopping you from buying more alcohol from other stores before you get to the airport or border and claiming that as well. You also have to buy at the duty free that is the country of your last stop, e.g. BKK --> HKK --> YYZ, You have to buy from HKK.

I regularly claim 2x, sometimes 3x 1L @ 40% alcohol and do not pay duty, however this is usually when I travel overseas through the airport and I'm gone for 2-5 weeks. i haven't tried by car though...

NEVER LIE ON THE CLAIM FORM. If you get checked then you're fucked and will get checked every single time.

It's up to you how you play it. No vs. full disclosure.

On another tack,

You'll see when you go over to the UK that the miniature / half bottle market is WAAAAY better than here. You can get some serious action collecting 5-20cl bottles and up your variety vs. 2 full bottles.

Vise

TRIBE Member
The Signet is amazing and so complex. Truly a luxury bottling. The Macallan IMHO tho... :( a bit of a let down.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. The Signet does indeed look rather nice, its going into the 'special occasion' area of my collection.

Although overpriced I do enjoy Macallan too, I've killed several bottles of Macallan 12 and it was the Macallan 18 that really got me into single malt a few years back. We'll see how it is... I need to finish off a few other bottles to make room for the new stuff. :)

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
165921_10151059379417915_624459227_n.jpg

picked up this fun 12 whiskey sampler at La Maison Du Whiskey while in Paris last week. I don't know who suggested it, maybe somebody here, but it's the very best place on the whole planet.

they have every whiskey ever, then a 1000 more, including cask samples and extreme rarities you wouldn't find anywhere outside the distilleries.