• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Scotch

djfear

TRIBE Member
Also I imagine if you're doing a group buy for something like this, it can be argued that we're buying it together, much like when someone goes and buys a 24 of beer and his buddies split it and give that person money, this is the same concept, except there's the post involved.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I'll keep you guys posted (killa and djfear).

edit: the guy that's buying it owns a liquor store. he'd be ordering a decent amount and selling whatever we don't take. So, it's nice, in that, we're not committed to an entire case or whatever the minimum is.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
No problemo :)

Just an FYI, the LCBO carries the 12. Most don't, but they can transfer a bottle from another location to a location convenient to you.

edit: that's what I was told anyway. I walked into the LCBO and asked for a 15 and they said they could get me a 12 or 17. The 17 wasn't a yoichi, though.

However, I would have to wait X weeks (I forget how many they said as I was leaving that day so I didn't pay attention.

djfear

TRIBE Member
No problemo :)

Just an FYI, the LCBO carries the 12. Most don't, but they can transfer a bottle from another location to a location convenient to you.

edit: that's what I was told anyway. I walked into the LCBO and asked for a 15 and they said they could get me a 12 or 17. The 17 wasn't a yoichi, though.

However, I would have to wait X weeks (I forget how many they said as I was leaving that day so I didn't pay attention.

Probably the pure malt taketsuru (middle). Could you ask him if it's possible to get the Balvanie Cuban Selection? That one I can't find in North America...

I'd like to get a 15y & 20y Yoichi.

My Whisky Collection

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
I had the pleasure of sitting down with the malt master from glenfiddich to do a tasting of four whiskeys with food pairings. it was cool because he sat at our table so we could ask him all kinds of silly shit like how do you nose the whiskey when you're sick (the mixing and matching of casks is all done by smell). he was a right proper guy with a pretty rad job.

they also introduced the new snow pheonix offering which is pretty nice by me. a touch strong, but calmed by water.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Bought that Nikka Yoichi 10 yr last week... I was really impressed.

That's been calling my name ever since I visited Ontario and snagged a bottle.

I've had the willpower to let it sit, though. Waiting until I have at least a couple more bottles of the yoichi's before I crack into them. Going to call dude this week on Thurs/Fri to see if he had any luck with hunting anything down.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Lagavaulin remains at the top of my list. Hoping it will come down in price soon. Need to stock up for winter!
i was at school bakery for dana bergquist this past friday. my friend asked the bartender if they had scotch, buddy pulls out a dusty bottle of lag, so we ordered two shots. homeboy dropped a piece of ice in each low ball and proceeded to fill it up. he charged us 6 bucks a shot!(actually more like 3 shots in each glass) sufficed to say we drank the whole bottle

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I called the scotch dude back and he said he hasn't heard anything re: his inquiry yet.

He asked for 2 cases, but reckons that it's such a small order, the place might just tell him to pound sand.

He's sending a reminder email right now and told me to check back in a week or so.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
i was at school bakery for dana bergquist this past friday. my friend asked the bartender if they had scotch, buddy pulls out a dusty bottle of lag, so we ordered two shots. homeboy dropped a piece of ice in each low ball and proceeded to fill it up. he charged us 6 bucks a shot!(actually more like 3 shots in each glass) sufficed to say we drank the whole bottle

I know this place, and will be trying my luck for 6 dollar tumblers or scotch soon.

win

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
we drank the whole bottle tack....and i bet the poor bartender lost his job giving us that much for so damn cheap

we tipped him like crazy though, like ten bucks for an order of two "shots"

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
we drank the whole bottle tack....and i bet the poor bartender lost his job giving us that much for so damn cheap

we tipped him like crazy though, like ten bucks for an order of two "shots"

I'm buck checking to see if they replaced it. even if it's a more causal single malt, 6 bucks for a few glugs is worth my time for almost any of the brands I can think of.

that's awesome.

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
Had the Bowmore 12 last night. Great stuff, light sweetness and approachable peat. Can't beat the price either! At $49.30 it's affordable enough to be a "house" brand for everyday drinking.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I'm hitting Chicago on long weekend and want to buy some whiskey. I see that there used to be a place called sams wines but it went out of business and was bought by Binny's Beverage Depot. I imagine that's the best place to get stuff (but if anyone has the inside scoop on some place better, please let me know!).

Any suggestions against stuff that the LCBO doesn't carry, or stuff that's at least a great value? e.g. The Scapa 16y here is $120, over there it's like $70.

I want to buy 4 bottles, my gf and I will each declare 2 (yes over the limit but anytime I declare it they never say anything when I fly).

Sites:
http://www.binnys.com/spirits/search/?advs=2&ast=28&asc=&astxt=
LCBO in comparison

Any other non-whiskey recommendations would also be appreciated. :)

Last edited:

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
Go to Binny's and let the spirit wash over you. There will be no shortage of stuff that you can't get here. I think the bigger problem will be just choosing 4!

Follow your heart ;)

djfear

TRIBE Member
Go to Binny's and let the spirit wash over you. There will be no shortage of stuff that you can't get here. I think the bigger problem will be just choosing 4!

Follow your heart ;)

I looked at the other sections... like tequila and vodka. I shouldn't have done that. :S I wonder what they'll say if I show up and want to declare 3 bottles a person (6 total).

defazman

TRIBE Member
scotch is so much cheaper here in Alberta it`s ridiculous, and every half decent place I go has a better selection than the crappy LCBOs I used to live by. A bottle of Glenmorangie can be found for like $46.

defazman

TRIBE Member
nope, I`m up in Edmonton, but thanks, that`ll give me something to check out next time I`m down in Calgary

derek

TRIBE Member
thanks to an accumulation of lcbo gift certificates i picked up a bottle of montgomerie's glen grant rare select single malt. it's a speyside malt, so not very peaty.

29bd961a100c4f3a828d653bbd752eba.jpg