• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Sci-Fi Anime TV Shows?

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Clone Wars 1 and 2 (they're movies though).
Samurai Jack (it's not Manga) but created by Tartakovsky and completely amazing.
Appleseed (film). And Appleseed II, and I'm dying for the Vexille movie to come out...
Afro Samurai (not sci-fi, but worth the watch).
ANYTHING by Hayao Miyazaki.

I've just started watching the Gungrave series ... it has potential, but not sure it's going to do the genre justice.

Haven't seen Cowboy Bebop yet, even though it's been on my radar for over a year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
DeepSix said:
A newish one being released in NA in a few days - Vexille.

Interesting GitS/Bladerunner kind of concept in which agents have to infiltrate Japan to see if the Japanese are developing contraband Android technology - banned by the UN as a danger to all humankind.

Music sounds amazing - Basement Jaxx, M.I.A., Carl Craig, Prodigy, DJ Shadow...

Sounds good. Now for the torrent hunt.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
DeepSix said:
A newish one being released in NA in a few days - Vexille.

Interesting GitS/Bladerunner kind of concept in which agents have to infiltrate Japan to see if the Japanese are developing contraband Android technology - banned by the UN as a danger to all humankind.

Music sounds amazing - Basement Jaxx, M.I.A., Carl Craig, Prodigy, DJ Shadow...
I downloaded and watched most of this. It's not very good. The music sucks, generic action scene music. The story is kind of lame. Like a lot of lower quality anime it feels like a cool short story idea expanded to a full movie by a hack writer.

Just as an example, one of the bad guys gets away by grabbing on to the wing of a plane that is crashing through the house he was just trapped in. The wing even has a handle attached to it.

Also, there are big Dune rip off worms which even in the context of the movie don't make any sense.

So, bad story, good CGI. Also, I fell asleep and missed the end, and not because I was tired.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
I did watch the Cowboy Bebop and really enjoyed it. There is a bit of a Jar Jar Binks character in the second season, but apart from that it's great.

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
Sheik, I agree fully re: Vexille! I fell asleep too. Was not very exciting for loooong stretches. The much-ballyhooed music was pretty much non-existant.

You're spot-on with the "short story trying to be a full length movie" analysis.

So, note for the rest of you - don't waste your bandwidth on this one unless you feel you must see it. There's better shows out there.

On to "Ergo Proxy".

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Warner Brothers Bringing Robotech to the Big Screen

Warner Brothers has acquired the rights to the animated classic Robotech. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Tobey Maguire is producing the film through his production company Maguire Entertainment with an eye to star in it as well.

Craig Zahler has already been hired to write the screenplay, which will update the cartoon series from 1985. The sci-fi episodic adventure took place on Earth, at a time when the world's leaders had come together to make giant robots from technology that was found on a crashed UFO. Mankind is forced to use their new robots to fend off three separate alien attacks.

The film is set to become a major franchise for Warner Brothers. Maguire stated, "We are very excited to bring Robotech to the big screen. There is a rich mythology that will be a great foundation for a sophisticated, smart and entertaining film."

http://www.movieweb.com/news/67/22567.php

----

Another site mentioned this was announced at the TIFF?!?!

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
DeepSix said:
Sheik, I agree fully re: Vexille! I fell asleep too. Was not very exciting for loooong stretches. The much-ballyhooed music was pretty much non-existant.

You're spot-on with the "short story trying to be a full length movie" analysis.

So, note for the rest of you - don't waste your bandwidth on this one unless you feel you must see it. There's better shows out there.

On to "Ergo Proxy".
I downloaded Ergo Proxy and it's fairly interesting so far. It is visually very dark and gothy, but still looks good for a TV show.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Aaaaaand a scant seven years later

Variety: Sony Takes Over ‘Robotech,’ Plans Film Franchise (EXCLUSIVE)

MARCH 25, 2015 | 03:46PM PT
Brent Lang
Senior Film and Media Reporter
@BrentALang
Sony Pictures has secured rights to the popular anime series “Robotech” and views the project as a potential film franchise.

The studio hopes to move quickly into production on the live-action feature, with Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton (“300,” “The Immortals”) producing and Michael Gordon (“300,” “GI Joe”) writing the script. The series centered on humanity’s use of robot technology to fend off alien invaders and has an “Independence Day” meets “Star Wars” vibe. It is seen as having the global appeal necessary to become a blockbuster property.

The project will be overseen at Sony Pictures by Sony Pictures Entertainment Group President Doug Belgrad, Columbia Pictures Production Chief Michael De Luca, and Sony Pictures Vice President of Creative Production Matthew Milam.

“‘Robotech’ is unique in that it has always been a marriage of spectacle with human characters that seem drawn from life,” said De Luca. “That’s why we are so excited to be working with Mark and Gianni as we move forward on this project. With a history that offers an epic love triangle, a renegade hero, and a world on the brink of extinction, ‘Robotech’ offers a wide scope and a rich and impressive universe where the story possibilities are endless.”

“Robotech” derives from a series of popular Japanese TV shows that made their way over to the United States in the 1980s, eventually inspiring books, role playing games, video games, toys and collectibles.

“I’m thrilled to be back in business with Sony Pictures and Gianni and I look forward to working with the studio on this global franchise-driven opportunity,” said Canton, who ran the studio in the 1990s. “‘Robotech’ is a very significant and legendary part of the growth of anime into the force that it is today, and we’re excited to be adapting it for modern audiences.”

The rights to the material had originally been at Warner Bros. with Tobey Maguire and Akiva Goldsman on board as producers. At various points the project attracted interest from the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio and commercial director Nic Mathieu, but the studio never moved forward with a feature film. When they became free, they were nabbed Canton’s Atmosphere and Nunnari’s Hollywood Gang labels.

“When the rights to ‘Robotech’ became available we jumped; Mark and I knew it had what big movies in today’s world must have if they want to grab everyone: insane visuals and powerful themes,” said Nunnari. “The characters in ‘Robotech’ wrestle with both the destructive and redemptive powers of technology; nothing is more relevant today than that.”

Frank Agrama of Harmony Gold, which is the original intellectual property rights holder, will executive produce with Michael Gordon and Jehan Agrama. Leonard B. Rosman and Christy Duran will serve as co-producers.

The deal on behalf of Harmony Gold and the producers was negotiated by Ralph P Brescia of Bloom Hergott, together with Leonard B. Rosman, Esq. of the Law Offices of Leonard B. Rosman and Christy Duran, Esq. of Harmony Gold.

Goddamit, if Toby Maguire is still involved and Akiva Goldsman is producing - it's going to suck. Goldsman will try to turn it into another mindless Transformers knock off.

That is, if it ever makes it to the screen.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Goddamit, if Toby Maguire is still involved and Akiva Goldsman is producing - it's going to suck. Goldsman will try to turn it into another mindless Transformers knock off.

That is, if it ever makes it to the screen.
Nope, as the article explicitly states, they were attached to the previous group, with Warner. New blood, Sony.

And for the love of Protoculture, Do. Not. Transformers. This.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I'd like to put down redline the movie as an awesome watch. It's a sci fi, with some animal based aliens, and it's about crazy planet races with retro looking vehicles.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
Someone here mentioned Samurai Jack

it isn't anime, but it belongs here. It's one of my all time favourite shows. The cinematography is unbelievable.

derek

TRIBE Member
Samurai Jack belongs for sure

I also don't see Samurai Champloo here (same creators as Cowboy Bebop), another great show

I'd like to put down redline the movie as an awesome watch. It's a sci fi, with some animal based aliens, and it's about crazy planet races with retro looking vehicles.
This.

This was such an insane little movie - especially when it goes completely for broke by the end, bringing in every single Anime trope and cliche and having a blast with the insanity.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Samurai Champloo is great, but there's nothing really 'sci-fi' about it.

Samurai Jack & Afro Samurai have sci-fi elements, so there's a case for them being listed.

derek

TRIBE Member
afro samurai is sick. awesome sound track with rza on the beats too

good point. i forgot about the sci-fi part (was just thinking anime)

Projekt2501

TRIBE Member
Attack on titan is pretty good. I love all things Ghost in the shell, but yeah, the first movie was the best. Hellsing is an oldie but a goody and I think it had a remake.