• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Schwarzenegger: Gay Marriages Must Stop (uh oohhhh)

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Fucking Austrians!:mad:

Schwarzenegger: City on 'dangerous path'

Saturday, February 21, 2004 Posted: 5:41 AM EST (1041 GMT)
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/21/same.sex/index.html

Schwarzenegger: Certificates issued to same-sex couples do not meet state legal standards.

SAN FRANCISCO, California (CNN) -- Californian Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has warned San Francisco to stop issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples in defiance of state law.

Schwarzenegger addressed the issue at the state's Republican convention in Burlingame, Calif. just outside San Francisco.

"During my campaign, I talked about the importance of rule of law," he said Friday. "We rely upon our courts to enforce our rule of law, but we're seeing in San Francisco that the courts are dropping the ball.

"Today I have sent a letter to Attorney General Bill Lockyer asking him to move as quickly as possible on behalf of the state ... to resolve the issues underlying San Francisco's lawsuit against the state.

"While we wait for the courts to act, it's time for the City of San Francisco to start respecting state law. It is time for the city to stop traveling down this dangerous path of ignoring the rule of law."

For the second time this week, a judge Friday denied a request by conservative groups to issue a temporary restraining order against the city to stop it from issuing same-sex marriage licenses.

San Francisco County Superior Court Judge Ronald Quidachay Friday also ruled that the two lawsuits against the city -- and the city's lawsuit against the state, challenging the law banning same-sex marriage -- could be combined into one case.

The judge did not set a date for arguments to begin in the consolidated case, and did not indicate which judge might hear it.

Quidachay's decision means that the city can continue issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, as it has done for the past eight days.

More than 3,000 couples have legalized their unions in San Francisco since Mayor Gavin Newsom ordered the county clerk to begin issuing the same-sex marriage licenses February 12.

As the legal fray unfolded, the wedding ceremonies continued Friday at City Hall, where city workers ushered 100 more same-sex couples into the rotunda. Hundreds of other couples awaited their turns in a line that circled the building.

Lawsuits filed by the Campaign for California Families, the Proposition 22 Legal Defense and Education Fund and other groups contend that the city's issuing of same-sex marriage licenses violates state law and should be stopped immediately.

Thursday, the city filed its own lawsuit, charging that a state law that defines marriage as being between one man and one woman violates California's constitution.

City Attorney Dennis Herrera said the suit also names the petitioners that have filed lawsuits against the city.

The goal of the lawsuit, he said, is to ensure that the constitutionality question of gay and lesbian marriage is addressed by the courts.

Schwarzenegger posted a statement Thursday on his Web site saying that the marriage certificates issued to same-sex couples do not meet state legal standards that require that a marriage be between a man and a woman.

The certificates were changed to read "first applicant" and "second applicant" instead of "bride" and "groom."

"The attorney general has assured me that he will vigorously defend the constitutionality of the law in the case brought against the state by San Francisco," the governor's statement said.

The mayor's views on same-sex marriage run counter to those of President Bush, who has argued for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution stating that marriage must be between a man and a woman.

"He's trying to promulgate a separate and unequal status," Newsom told a reporter Thursday. "He's talking about changing the Constitution of the United States. It is hardly consistent with his compassionate conservatism. So, I guess I'm honored to engage in any discourse on this subject."

Newsom has said his obligation to follow non-discriminatory practices trumps that statute.

--CNN Correspondents Rusty Dornin and David Mattingly contributed to this story
:mad:

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

silver1

TRIBE Member
When asked for further comment, Arnold said, "When I'm groping a strange womans breasts who happens to be wearing a wedding ring, how am I going to tell if she's a lesbian or not?" ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
He really didn't say anything about gay marriages. He said that a single city cannot operate on a different set of laws than the state that it is in. I agree with him on this. Either its legal state wide or it is not legal state wide. This sets up the court case to change the law.

cause and effect, state law and order is of his direct concern.

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
I am now issuing California gay marriage licenses, $50 each.

They're as good as a San Diego marriage license, and almost as as good as an actual marriage license.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I wonder if there is a way around this by defining one partner as MALE, and the other FEMALE, regardless of biology?

For instance, what does a transexual, born as XY, and changed to have bits as though XX, have on their birth certificate and other identification? How easy is it to define oneself as XX instead of XY, and vice versa? Is it unconstituitional to ask for genentic proof, i.e. a violation of your body, in order to prove your sex? This to me sounds extremely discriminatory, in that sex is one of the leading thing in human rights laws.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
He really didn't say anything about gay marriages. He said that a single city cannot operate on a different set of laws than the state that it is in. I agree with him on this. Either its legal state wide or it is not legal state wide. This sets up the court case to change the law.

cause and effect, state law and order is of his direct concern.

really this is almost as valid as the certificates being issued by the city of san fran...

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Look, if I say all of a sudden,"I am now a female", what right does the state have to say to me,"Prove it."

The very act of the state saying that is discriminatory, since I cannot be discriminated by sex.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
Look, if I say all of a sudden,"I am now a female", what right does the state have to say to me,"Prove it."

The very act of the state saying that is discriminatory, since I cannot be discriminated by sex.

You can say what ever the hell you want. But the second you walk into a womans bathroom and offend a woman there he rights extend beyond your claim.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
You can say what ever the hell you want. But the second you walk into a womans bathroom and offend a woman there he rights extend beyond your claim.

Well, you merely have to re-define your sex, dependent on circumstance. So, you define yourself as female to marry your male partner, and then to take a piss, you re-define yourself as male.

The question is: Can the state violate your rights, i.e. take blood samples to prove that you are male/female, in order to confirm a lesser law?

Originally posted by PosTMOd
The question is: Can the state violate your rights, i.e. take blood samples to prove that you are male/female, in order to confirm a lesser law?

They're already doing it with random drug testing, aren't they?

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
They're already doing it with random drug testing, aren't they?

In the States, sure, for certain jobs.

However, since the State cannot discriminate by sex, the very act of testing for sex is an ipso facto violation of one's rights. (See how the Latin makes it seem legal).

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
What I am trying to get at is that the very act of asking someone what sex they are is discriminatory, and violates their basic humans rights, for there is no other reason to ask that question, other than to discriminate.

Why else ask that question? And if you cannot ask that question, then a person can define themselves as male or female, dependent on circumstance, without being questioned, or they are automatically being disriminated against.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
sorry human rights are not being abused by asking someone if they are male or female.

It lowers the value of the concept of human rights.

funky_citrus

TRIBE Member
This belongs in the politics area. Im not surprised that hes saying this, after all he is a Republican. His political stance has always been strange to me. How can some guy who was born and raised in Austria, come come to the United States, marry a Kennedy(A DEMOCRAT), and then not only run, but win an election(AS A REPUBLICAN), in a fairly liberal state! Maria is a disgrace to her family.

Bush is now going out of his way to put a stop to this growing trend. Now New Mexico is issuing licences t Gay coouples. ALthough I am a gay guy, I have often found myself at a dead end about how I feel about gays being allowed to marry. I have always known that marriage is not for me, but how can we deny anyone to marry, when it obviously infringes on our human rights. That being said, with all the problems surrounding marriages, in terms of divorces, custody battles, property division, and the insuing battles over money that arise as a result of dissolution of marriages, I find it peculiar why anyone would be fighting to be part of a growing trend thats not in their favour. Still I think that it is important from a humanistic point of view. Just my two cents worth.

~Leslie~

Last edited:

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
sorry human rights are not being abused by asking someone if they are male or female.

It lowers the value of the concept of human rights.

Why are you asking the question, if not to discriminate?