1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Scanner Recommendation

Discussion in 'Technology' started by saskboy, Apr 11, 2010.

1. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

I have a bunch of old family photos and documents that are pretty cool.

Can anybody recommend a good scanner?

I'm not looking for a three in one, but the best quality I can get for a home system that I can get that has the ability to scan slides and negatives as well.

2. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Fujitsu's ScanSnap series are good for documents, I use one to get rid of paper clutter since it does both sides of multiple pages very fast. I picked up an Epson V300 Photo to digitize some old albums since the flatbed scanners seem better suited for pictures. CNET's list of recommended devices might point you towards or the other.

3. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

c'mon. I picked up a Canon MP160 3-in-one for 20$. These companies are just giving these things away, because they will then later engorge you on printer ink.
    If you're just looking to scan standard size photos and documents, nothing poster-sized or too large, just walk into Staples and walk out the door with one of these things. Canon and Epson actually want you to steal them!

4. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

but they don't do slides and negatives

thanks deep, gonna check out CNET, haven't been there in awhile

5. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Look for a used Epson 1640 with transparency adapter (if you have film). I use one for general scanning and it is quite good.

For film I use a nikon film scanner though and I would recommend it if you have tons of slides or rolls of film. You can probably rent one for a weekend from vistek to do all your film.