• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Save Counterspin!!!!

gubydal

TRIBE Member
I just got this email the other day and I still can't believe it! Who's with me? Let's start a petition to keep Counterspin alive!!

Hi,

You may have heard,_ counterSpin is not being renewed for the next season._ Below is a counterSpin statement on the situation.

If you'd like to write CBC let me know_ and I'll suggest where to send it._

Paul
---------------------------------------------------------------

As you may have seen in the press, CBC Newsworld has announced that counterSpin will not be renewed for next season. Newsworld is developing a new flagship interview show to run daily in the 8pm time slot.

counterSpin will complete this season, playing an important role in Newsworldís coverage of an expected spring election and the current crisis facing the Liberal government.

We at counterSpin are saddened by the decision not to renew the show.

This is counterSpinís sixth season of programmes that challenge conventional wisdom and provoke meaningful debate. It has been a place for a true diversity of voices, many not heard elsewhere on Canadian television. We have stood at the centre of the most important political discussions in our country.

In the last federal election, counterSpin presented a series of specials on the CBCís main network that were described by an outside observer team as CBCís most innovative contribution to the election coverage.

Within days of the events of 9/11, we debated the root causes of the tragic attacks and the merits of President Bushís call for war. In the face of a considerable amount of pressure, including newspaper editorials saying to even debate such issues was anti-American, we continued to ask the hard questions.

We debated Canadaís participation in the Afghan war - questioning its legality, the need to bomb civilians and Western support for the war lords. In an all Muslim debate we questioned support for extremism.

We have debated the crisis in the Middle East many times, including all Jewish and all Palestinian community shows. On many shows, audiences on all sides of the issue engaged and debated each other with both great passion and mutual respect.

In the months leading up to the US invasion of Iraq, we debated the usefulness of the UN process and the veracity of claims that Iraqís weapons of mass destruction provided a basis for war.

During the war we went from one to three broadcasts a week. We were on the air the night that the first bombs fell, with a clear debate on the virtues of the war. We estimate more than a million Canadians watched these shows. counterSpin helped shape the way Canadians understand and discuss issues of war and peace.

Over the years we have dealt with many critical issues facing Canadians. We travelled the country debating issues from the privatization of water in Moncton to the problems facing farmers in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. We made a special connection with Canadaís diverse population, inviting community debates on the situation in Congo, India, Pakistan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Venezuela, Bolivia and the Middle East. We have presented debates on issues of human rights as they relate to immigrant communities and we have examined the consequences of anti-terrorist legislation. We have done numerous shows on issues facing the people of the First Nations.

One of counterSpinís most unique qualities is its audience participation. Thousands of people have been part of the studio audience, making comments and challenging our expert guests. More than half of our studio audiences are made up of young Canadians. counterSpin is the only place on English Canadian television where audiences have a regular say and directly question leading opinion makers. Our viewers have literally bombarded us with thousands of thoughtful emails and web postings.

With a full hour of discussion on a single topic, counterSpin defies the trend towards sound bites and superficial discussion.

counterSpin is licensed to CBC Newsworld by an independent company. We believe this gives our show much of its unique personality. We have never been afraid to stick our neck out or to shy away from challenging underlying assumptions. Weíre never timid in booking provocative guests. Newsworld commissioned counterSpin as an independent production as a matter of policy in order to encourage a diversity of opinion and voices on the network and to avoid homogeneity of editorial opinion. Six years of counterSpin have shown this policy worked. This relationship between the public broadcaster and a small independent company is a good model for developing innovative public affairs television.

We thank CBC Newsworld for its confidence in counterSpin over the past six years. They gave us the space and support to do what we do best. CBC always stood by us, defending the publicís right to genuine debate.

The show has done very well this year. Our ratings are as strong as ever and we look forward to the challenges in the next few months.

We think counterSpin has made a significant contribution to democracy in our country. We are extremely disappointed with Newsworldís decision not to renew the show.

Paul Jay
Executive Producer
counterSpin

whatwaytoturn

TRIBE Member
Idunno.. the show often made me cringe as the typical crossfire guest panel was made up of those who more or less agreed with each other. Watching it often left a bad taste in my mouth as the ensuing 'debate' became less about all sides of the story and more about elevating the limited established paradigm often weiged heavily on one side.

It was annoying for all the same reasons CNN's crossfire is annoying, except on the oppsite side of the spectrum.

I guess Genine Garofalo's publicist will have to work alot harder now. :D

But in all seriousness. The show was good, but not as good as it could have been.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by whatwaytoturn
Idunno.. the show often made me cringe as the typical crossfire guest panel was made up of those who more or less agreed with each other.
:confused:

I think you mean counterspin...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hamza

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Neo-Marxist
Fire the new host. He sucks. He's just plain awful. Find someone better.
Agreed!

I was in studio and spoke to him after the show once. He is a really nice guy...but...

Here is an idea - for a political show, have political scientists host!

Neo-Marxist

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hamza
Agreed!

I was in studio and spoke to him after the show once. He is a really nice guy...but...

Here is an idea - for a political show, have political scientists host!
I should host the show. I'd do a bang up job. I'd be condescending and inject blue humour into the show. I'd piss the Left and the Right off without any hesitation. Take no prisoners!

Hamza

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Neo-Marxist
I should host the show. I'd do a bang up job. I'd be condescending and inject blue humour into the show. I'd piss the Left and the Right off without any hesitation. Take no prisoners!
Can I be the co-host?

I could poison the show with the leftist agenda that Dork U has tried to brainwash me with.
Damn commies!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories