• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Satoshi?

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Snapple

TRIBE Member
Someone on this board outside of me and my crew must have gone as the place was PACKED! Got there around 3:15, had to bribe our way in ($15 a head) as they didn't seem to be letting anyone in who wasn't already hooked up. Door was $35. And it was barely organized chaos from there on through to the coat check (hate that coat check location but, whatever).

Satoshi was already on when we get in and finally checked our coats. He played till around 6:30 (maybe 7). He dropped some great tracks for sure, but imho, his mixing wasn't exactly inspired. No trainwrecks or anything but lots of mixes on the breakdowns. And there were WAY too many breakdowns in both his and Hec's set for my liking. Where's the momentum?

Hec came on and started in with some wikked tech-funk sounding stuff (one track had what surely sounded like a Kyuss/heavy heavy rock male vocal) and was making his way into NY tribal when I left around 8.

Club was still half full. Crowd on the night was lots of guys (straight, bi, etc.) and some very cute and forward women (way to go ladies!). All seemed for the most part, very respectful and friendly.

That is all.

Cheerz.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
this place is definitely gaining steam, and I would guess its going to be very busy from now on every Saturday. Satoshi was good, lots of electro influences which was cool, but as mentioned before, the mixing was far from inspired. You could always tell the track was ending when he mixed the next one, something that annoys the hell out of me for some reason. In any event, people seemed to be diggin it and it stayed busy until very late, something i didn't think was possible in Toronto.

I left when Hec was getting going but the vibe had kind of fizzled out by then. The crowd was kinda boring, for a club so downtown, where are all the downtowners??

anyways, props to Boa for for making me not have to go back to System ever again.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
doors open at 1am.

I popped in very briefly at 1 and when I left 15 minutes later the line up went from being 20-30 people to being fookin masssive... it was almost to the corner at dundas it seemed.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lilnick

TRIBE Member
WHAT IS THE POINT IN HAVING A DANCE CLUB IF YOU CAN'T FRIGGING DANCE?!?!

It was way too packed during Satoshi's set!

I know they are stuggling to find a resident DJ but Lev Ozar was killing me and the crew last night. He was all over the place but with an almost gay/circuit edge. He played one track three times in the span of 40 minutes. When Sheela went to ask about another track she had to wait for the track to finish so he could take out the CD and look what it was... Didn't impress at all! Satoshi was good but didn't blow me away. Baby Hec was not the kinda House I was expecting but decent.

The bathroom attendant wasn't nearly as attentive as the guy working the night Oliver Lieb played and it resulted in some messiness. Overall the staff were very helpful and friendly though. The crowd was a good mix of gay/bi/straight with lots of friendly, fun and funky people sprinkled throughout.

Track highlights:

Baby Hec dropping "Better Days".

The guy spinning downstairs pulling out "Mouth" (Iz and Diz). :D

oeretS

TRIBE Member
my track highlight was when Satoshi dropped that really melodic track from James Holden's Balance CD (disc 2, can't remember the title)

sounded insane on that system

Special K

TRIBE Member
yea i was never really into lev ozar's tunes the times ive heard him either (be it @ fluid or jai bar)

too nyc/circuit sounding for my tastes

meh...

tatgirl

TRIBE Member
Does anyone know the track names of Satoshi's last tune, and Hector's 1st tune? They were both great, but Hector's opening tune was the tune of the night for me, and just as it was over, we left. My bf's legs couldn't dance any more, and it was a great way to end the night.

I thought this was the best nite at Boa in all that I have attended (this was my 4th time going). This was the most crowded I've seen it, and it was hot to boot, but the crowd was really up for it, and I met so many nice people. Special shout out to Mercure & his gf Sally, 2 people largely responsible for my good time last night. :)

Lev's set was also too circuit for my liking, but at least he played that remix of "Intergalactic" (such a tune!).

Shame on the off-duty bouncer & his even bigger meathead friend who came & stood in the crowd behind us only to inject something with a needle into their thighs thru their pants. :mad:

oeretS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by tatgirl
Shame on the off-duty bouncer & his even bigger meathead friend who came & stood in the crowd behind us only to inject something with a needle into their thighs thru their pants. :mad:

???????????????????????????

Lainey

TRIBE Member
We arrived in line around 2.30 and they we're letting anyone in aside from "VIP" walking up and line bypassing so it took us at least an hour to get in. There was probably only 25 people in the line so it was getting really frustating but we decided to wait it out.

Satoshie and Hector did not disappoint, I was loving every track from the moment I walked in until I left around 9. The last time I saw Satoshie I wasn't blown away but his set last night was really good.

The club itself was very impressive, it was the first time I'd been there and was pleasantly surprised with the layout and sound as well as the crowd. A few too many sweaty shirtless guys for my liking but whatever..

The levels/steps throughout the club managed to become quite a challenge by the end of the night but they do make for an interesting dancefloor, it was cool that you could look down and see the dj as opposed to how the booth at most places is always elevated and you can't really see what's going on, it felt a lot more intimate.

A great party overall, I'll definitely be going back to boa soon.

GIJill

TRIBE Member
The other track I loved was Fat Dope Shit...only ever heard it on some downloaded set, but it's such a naughty naughty tune
:D

why not

TRIBE Member

he might have been diabetic, my little brother freaks people out all the time when he casually sticks a needle into his thigh.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
yeah that would be an odd coincidence for two buddies at the same club to both require insulin at the exact same moment.
highly unlikely.

why not

TRIBE Member
oops, didn't notice it said two of them.

that would be kind of unlikely.

still, it's kind of weird that two people would shoot up in the open in a club when there's individual washrooms right there.
also seems like it would be really hard to get syringes in there.

lilnick

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by why not
still, it's kind of weird that two people would shoot up in the open in a club when there's individual washrooms right there.

Yes, the privacy the individual washrooms provide does in a way provide a "safer space" to do your bussiness; whether that involves peeing, pooing, sniffing, swallowing, or injecting.

Originally posted by why not
also seems like it would be really hard to get syringes in there.

Perhaps it's easier for some than others:

off-duty bouncer & his even bigger meathead friend

:p

Vcakes

TRIBE Member
WOW, what a night!

Boa has the most cool set up in T.O. The place looks hype...well a few flaws. The location of coat check was just stupid, you have to walk to the back of the club. And the dj booth on the side with the stairs in front, too much traffic. But still the coolest looking club...it's like out of a magazine. Staff was kind of friendly too.

As for the crowd, the place was packed this past Sat. It was older, some kind of creepy, lots of men chasing my man..lol, and overly done up chicks. Some were friendly (the Systems crowd) and lots were snobs.

As for the tunes, the guy opening (resident) just sucked. And with no other room to venture into(they have a small lounge but not to dance in), I would have left if he was spinning all night. I give him credit for 3 good tracks but the rest was garbage. I hate crappy house vocals and his mixing sucked and I can go on and on....

Tomie was pretty good but I did expect more. Kind of soft for my taste. But the sound systems was incredible, so good that it makes the beats sound even better.

Definitely a place to go back too. But with no license, it won't be too often.

dg0425

TRIBE Member
The first time at boa i was impressed with how quickly the lineup moved. This time we arrived at 4 and they made a lineup of 20 people or less wait for just under an hour while they allowed in every barbie and kenny with $20 for the bouncer. Either that or the bouncers have allot of hand shaking friends. If you're charging $35 should you really have to wait that long?

Anyways once inside it was a great night. Satoshi's set was a little too trancey for me. Lots of synthy vocal house that reminded me more of a guv night. Didn't really dance much but the surprise of the night was Hector Romero. WOw from the first song it was a great mix of funky tribal, prog, and great house. (yeah a few trancey tunes too. but towards the end of the night i didn't mind)

Loved hearing scandal in NY on the big system!

mingster

TRIBE Member
i hope this business of long-line ups and taking forever to get in doesn't become a chronic problem at boa. that would suck ass.

Snapple

TRIBE Member
Unfortunately, as the club grows more popular, the doorstaff will only get greedier. Part of the reason I hate the Guv and appreciate System.

PurrLee

TRIBE Member
Boa scores high in my books.
sounds like everyone had complaints bout the lineup but my bf and i lucked out... we showed up just after 3 and lined up in the VIP. we were on the g-list which was closed by then but the bouncers were awesome. they let us in anyway and gave us discount tickets. no hand shakes, just nice peeps :eek:
in fact i was pleasantly surprised to find the staff lacked the attitude we've come to expect at places like the guv.
yes, the dumb coat check location was the prob one thing that i'd change.
the vibe was good, lots of nods n smiles on the dancefloor. respect.
maybe i was just in a chattin mood, but Satoshi's set didn't really move me. a couple of killer tracks stood out, but the breaks in between were a let down. i didn't get my dancin feet on til Hec's set. and on that system, DAMN!! i loved the live drummin at the front too. are they always there?
to top it off when we left around 10, the bouncer wouldn't let me go out until he'd zipped me up with my hoodie and all... he said it was to keep me from getting sick so i'd be back next week.. aww :)
all in all a good time. i'll be back for sure.