• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Sasha's Wavy Gravy

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

RuffRyda

TRIBE Member
after listening to it many times this weekend, airdrawndagger is quite possibly the best cd i've heard this year! like mentioned before, this is pure sasha style!

Medic

TRIBE Member
insipre me today

This may be what I aspire to create one day. Inspiration can be found everywhere, just it's sometimes more glaring when it comes from a man like this.

ss

one a bad joke note: how about the unreleased import version being titled: Badlydrawnairboydagger.

ouch!

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
Re: insipre me today

Originally posted by slingshot

one a bad joke note: how about the unreleased import version being titled: Badlydrawnairboydagger.

ouch!

brutal :p

btw what i've heard, this album truly is a journey...sasha easily could have put out an album similar to the first moby disc, a collection of singles, with some new material...but he has chosen to create an amazing soundscape, which captures you from the first few notes & doesn't let go of you until it has faded out over an hour later...this album is like a book, a story unfolding, to be enjoyed from start to finish...

can't wait to get a copy...

john

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Medic

TRIBE Member

That must be a hint for me. I'll gladly copy it for you John. Lets hook up maybe Thursday or Friday and exchange Mackers CD book for yours and pleasantries of course.

ss.

vinder

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep

Bloodlock is by far my favourite track on it.

YES. the only (i think) 4/4 track on the album, and it rocks. however, i love mr. tiddles more, such atmosphere.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
"Airdrawndagger"

1. Dremples 1:23
A short burst of shimmering, bleepy, analogue soundscape clocking in at just under a minute and a half. A warm-up to get your ears attuned.

2. Mr Tiddles 4:53
As with much of the album, "Mr Tiddles" seems to pay tribute to an era in the early Nineties when artists such as Spooky and The Drum Club were at their peak. A cool, understated five minute introduction that unfurls with all the production manners of Future Sound Of London circa "Lifeforms", it's bass-heavy with loads of delay, like a Germanic minimalist cathedral of synthetic sound supplemented with massive, washing synth sounds.

3. Magnetic North 5:17
A bass pattern rises out of the darkness. A flurry of shuddering drums andshifting, haunting keys. This is where things move subtly up a gear with a glimmer of a nu-skool breaks rhythm track.

4. Cloud Cuckoo 8.26
A pure ethereal soundtrack with menacing keys is split by a tough West Coast drum pattern with an up-front snare sound. More deep, brooding, bass-heavy breakdowns with cascading synth patterns filtering down. Ends with a Jan Hammer/Miami Vice-style drum stab and melts directly into. . .

5. Immortal 4:54
A brooding, buzzing nu-skool bassline underpins this downbeat slice of breakbeat. Hovering around the 110 bpm mark, the track is covered in crisp, cut-up hi-hats (sounding like high-pitched scratching) with a rising and descending "horror movie" hook line the creates a lot of tension. Includes another rippling bass breakdown. Wouldn't sound amiss in a Meat Katie DJ set.

6. Fundamental 9:13
Dark, robotic breakbeat atmospherics with a touch of the Timo Maas in the bassline and lots of twisted filters. Morse code bleeps play in the upper frequencies. Really kicks in round the six minute mark and rides the same dark riff for a further three minutes. A Mixmaster Morris-ish take on current
fixations with all things electro.

7. Boileroom 7:04
A looped-backwards brassy sample cycles round before exploding into a classic Sasha breakbeat - lots of space and contrast between pounding low notes and trebly rhythm track. High bell notes play against twisted electronic noises
further down. A BT-style crescendo around the two minute mark reminds of the days when Sasha used to cane "Embracing The Sunshine".

8. Bloodlock 7:53
The track that's most akin to "Xpander". A floor-shaking bass rumble growls along as more synth arpeggios cascade down. A hi-hat pattern plays left and right in the speakers and a marching pattern plays towards the end, rising in frequency. Very Orbital-ish and something of an updated tribute to the early sound of Sven Vath's Eye-Q imprint.

9. Requiem 6:08
Like incidental music from Bladerunner, this track betrays Sasha's love of movie soundtrack dynamics and looks to Vangelis for epic inspiration. Heavy delay cuts up an almost guitar-sound melody that descends into computer game bleeps that in turn fade to echo.

10. Golden Arm 5:45
A cute melody cycles round before the 4/4 bass kicks in with a very "Euro" rhythm pattern. The bass and deep synth are linked in a rising and falling cycle while echoing noises play beneath. The closest thing to a pop song on the album.

11. Wavey Gravy 7:29
"Wavey Gravy" was previewed on Sasha's boat party at The Miami Winter Music Conference and is the album's most obvious contender for first single. Like Kevin Beber reworking one of Hybrid's more symphonic excursions, this seven-minute cut is built on a strong rim-shot rhythm pattern. Evoking images of sunshine falling through leaves, this is another track with a touch of Vangelis about it, with a blissful, swooping synth melody that plays to fade.

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
matt, from now on we expect to see the same beautifully scripted, minimum of 7 adjectives per sentence reviews for all albums from you...please start with the new paul oakenfold :D ...

john

RyanMarcus

TRIBE Member
^^^^^
Hahaha!

Which seven adjectives would you choose for the Oakenfold album (a.k.a. how many different ways can you say 'piece of shit?)?

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by djcheezwhiz
matt, from now on we expect to see the same beautifully scripted, minimum of 7 adjectives per sentence reviews for all albums from you...please start with the new paul oakenfold :D ...

john

Sorry man ... that's courtesy of Muzik magazine I think.

Fir3start3r

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vinder
i don't think any of it comes close to expander....the tunes are way to different. much more chilled out listening music rather than dancing music.

to be honest i wasn't very impressed on the first listen. but maybe it will be one of those that you have to listen to 20 times before you get it.

Me niether Vinder...:confused:

I thought the whole CD was pretty lame for some reason...
Not what I was expecting either I guess....I'll have to listen to it again......and again.......and again....

Che

TRIBE Member
I think this CD is wicked. Its really growing on me. People have to understand this isn't a club record, nor should it be. Its a true artistic album that showcases a side of Sasha that not many people have ever gotten to hear. This has literally been years in the making. Personally, I think the first 4 tracks and the last couple tracks are the strength of this album. The middle of the album is a little weak. I'm still going to buy this regardless.

vinder

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Che
I think this CD is wicked. Its really growing on me. People have to understand this isn't a club record, nor should it be. Its a true artistic album that showcases a side of Sasha that not many people have ever gotten to hear. This has literally been years in the making. Personally, I think the first 4 tracks and the last couple tracks are the strength of this album. The middle of the album is a little weak. I'm still going to buy this regardless.

agreed

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Honestly, there isn't much else I'm listening to lately (other than the new Saeed and Palash and the new Underworld). This album has grabbed me like no other album has in the last several years.

It's like a mix CD but by the same artist. It flows so well together. Dare I say it, but as the cliche goes 'it's a journey'. It was worth the 7 year wait or however long he's been rumoured to be putting out an album.

Cheers,
Jay

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
ok. i FINALLY received my copy...after everyone else in the world has it of course :) anyways, i love it already and i've only listened to like 3 tracks.

i just had to share that.