• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Sasha

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
The Man Like is back.

Friday May 6 at Coda.

Last time he was at Coda, 2 years ago, I got rather drunk and vaguely remember the music as being flat until the very end. But last summer at Electric Island he was focused, precise and awesome.

Who else is in? 3 days heads up this time. :D

Stop Bill C-10
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Won't be making the drive into the city for this but would love a good old event review like the old days.

Hope he's on point tonight for all those going.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Meh, techy as expected. I find his style somewhat similar to Dubfire these days.
He has some really solid basslines but for the most part the set went nowhere.

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
He started at 1:10 and finished at 4.

His 1st 1/2hr was lovely, melodic, easing into it stuff. Really nice. Then he started with the overall theme - very drummy, tribal housey influenced stuff. If you like tribal and shaking yer hips you'd have fun. I had a blast! Though it was totally doing my head in to look up and see Sasha playing tribal. Cause as we all know, Sasha doesn't play tribal. Except, well, he did. Even threw in a few tribal tech tracks towards the end of that stretch. Closed off the final 45 mins playing more typical proggy tunes - big ones of course given it was the end of his set. His closing track was the only vocal one, a haunting female voice asking "Where are you now?". Would love to know the ID for that one.

Overall, a pretty good Sasha set featuring an un-Sasha type sound. And though I greatly enjoyed the tribally part, it didn't really go anywhere - so I can understand why some found it flat/boring.

He was pretty sober (drinking water) and focused but little/no crowd interaction - barely looked up.

And for the love of everything promoters, stop putting on a closing dj for the final hour that the club's open!! Sasha can do long sets. He did a marathon set at Stereo the next day. So there's no good reason why he couldn't have played straight until the end of the night in Toronto.

And final thoughts - any prog fan should have checked out Pedro Aguiar at Cabal on Sat night. One of the best sets I've heard in ages & definitely surpassed anything Sasha did the night before.

lockedgruv

TRIBE Member
Closed off the final 45 mins playing more typical proggy tunes - big ones of course given it was the end of his set. His closing track was the only vocal one, a haunting female voice asking "Where are you now?". Would love to know the ID for that one.

I wasn't in attendance, but it sounds like his mix of Destiny's Child - Emotions. He's been closing many of his sets with it for months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObX9kCY4IP8