• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Sasha & Digweed Kiss 100 December 26th 2003

Djsosmooth76

TRIBE Member
Has anyone heard these two sets? Both are an hour long Sasha's set is awesome it was recoreded in Beruit, some new stuff along with some of the usuals he has been playing.

Digweed's was ok - Jimmy van M was on the show this week.

Stop Bill C-10

Richard Raiban

TRIBE Member
i thought sasha's set was WICKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

into about 25 minutes into his set he fuckin KILLS IT!!!

he is the fuckin MAN!!!

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
listened to this last night, but i'm not sure it's all it's cracked up to be...i need to listen again, but it sounds similar to his guv set in sept...nothing really new or exciting...it's not groundbreaking which is what i have come to expect from a sasha set...i know the kids on the gu board are raving about it, but i was kind of bleh...

jc

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Sasha sets always sound amazing first listen because you've never heard any of the tracks before and they are all 10/10 bombs.

But go back a year or so later and look at the tracklisting and you realize it's only big record after big record. Any other DJ with a tracklisting like that would be crucified. If so and so DJ X posted that t-listing on Global Underground .... he'd be slaughtered in minutes.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
there are a couple of breakdowns, mixouts which just seem to drag on...i don't know, but i wasn't feeling it at all...i don't think it really compares to the yunus mix...some solid tracks, but i would have loved to have heard something innovative, new...

zoo

TRIBE Member
i agree with matt "cool ranch" doritos

sasha's sets sound wicked for 1 week

his essential mix with pete tong from creamfields in august was wicked because of THE RIDE and a few other choice tracks, but looking back now it's not much of a set, just a bunch of obviously huge tracks :)

some of them were even slightly old/played out when the set was recorded ... dirty sticky floors for instance

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Sasha studio sets are better though I find. His essential mix from 2000 (I think) is awesome, very timeless.

deep

TRIBE Member
on the other hand, then you listen to the same set a few years later and its a nice trip back

i.e. homelands 99

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by coleridge
Sasha studio sets are better though I find. His essential mix from 2000 (I think) is awesome, very timeless.

I agree with you on this.

That is probably one of my fav. essential mix of all time!

february 27/00 I believe.

amazing set!
the first hour is so smooth!
the second part is killer!... the first time I heard --west on 27th's bassline come in... wow.
Or the timo mass track - ubik... nice. All big track but totally well played and well programmed. amazing set IMO.

disagree with you on the first comment... to me if it is a timeless mix --it is just that, it doesn't matter if they are big tunes..just as long as they are properly mixed and the programming is imaginative and creative. However, sasha has been sucking big time as of late. So I am not surprised that someone says that about him.

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
the set definitely has moments (i skimmed through it again tonight between hockey), but it's just missing something...i can't quite put my finger on it...however it's possibly due to the fact that it is part of a bigger live set, so we're maybe missing some of the "sasha" magic (which as noted has been elusive of late)...sasha has set the standards for music for so long, but maybe there is a new guard, pushing the boundaries from which sasha now doesn't quite push as hard...but so many djs owe so much to this guy, so it's really difficult to be critical of the man like...

he is still technically a great dj, & he still has access to the most upfront tunes, so i'm certain if this set is cranked up for maximum listening enjoyment it sounds wicked...

jc

zoo

TRIBE Member
when big tracks get old they become classics, and you look back at the sets with a warm fuzzy feeling when you haven't heard the songs inawhile :)

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
the gamble with dj's playing upfront big tracks like sasha does is that they can age to be amazing timeless tunes or just really good flavour of the week--type of thing.

so when you go back and listen to them.. the set can sound cheese or amazing timeless stuff.

sasha has gotten away with it 'cause he takes that risk often IMO.

zoo

TRIBE Member
what would you say sasha likes more with his toast, kraft low fat cheddar cheese or blue bonnet margarine?

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
what would you say sasha likes more with his toast, kraft low fat cheddar cheese or blue bonnet margarine?

It's well known that Sasha likes Fortnum & Mason Marmalades.

beatjunkie

TRIBE Member
Not a huge Sasha fan but I gave sasha - live @ the liquid room (08-11-03) a listen and there are a couple cool tracks on there as well.
Starts off with Toronto's Luke Fair remix of Mary J, that Trafik track that will be getting old soon, and Matthew Dekay Band - Higher Thoughts.

Still can't catch on to the Sasha sound though.....:eek:

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Do you think Sasha is becoming the Madonna of the DJ world? He's being pushing it so long and so many people have copied him that he still gets props but nobody really cares about anything he does now, just old stuff?

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by beatjunkie
Not a huge Sasha fan but I gave sasha - live @ the liquid room (08-11-03) a listen and there are a couple cool tracks on there as well.
Starts off with Toronto's Luke Fair remix of Mary J, that Trafik track that will be getting old soon, and Matthew Dekay Band - Higher Thoughts.

Still can't catch on to the Sasha sound though.....:eek:

download his essential mix from feb/27/00

it is very good.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
Do you think Sasha is becoming the Madonna of the DJ world? He's being pushing it so long and so many people have copied him that he still gets props but nobody really cares about anything he does now, just old stuff?

maybe.
dunno about the madonna part...but he seems to have lost something.. that is for sure.

he might be on his way on becoming Oakey #2 actually.

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by chipotle

he might be on his way on becoming Oakey #2 actually.

not quite on that scale :D (oakie gave us bukka or whatever it was called, sasha gave us airdrawndagger)..

jc

ps interesting how sasha threads always attract the most attention :D