• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Sarah Mixington and Richie Hawtin @ System?

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Just a small heads-up that I will be opening the side room at system on Friday Jan 30th, the same night as Hawtin....

So if any of you have put aside your distaste of Hawtin the Pop-Star, come by and see me in the VIP from 10pm onwards...I am definitely not a pop star (but I try to dress like it sometimes) :D

ian

TRIBE Member
Great gig Sarah!

Now I am coming for sure.

What kind of stuff are you going to play?

-ian .

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Ian...I really don't know.
I'm gonna have to go through my limited collection of "techno" here and find some suitable material.
(that means I have an excuse to go shopping!)

But there won't be much minimal...I don't own a whole lot of that. I'm not a minimal type of gal. ;) It'll be more upbeat, housier stuff.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
Hey Lady

this is awesome exsposure for you, congratts!! make sure you wherk it like you are now.

on a side not about the trance have y'all you seen who else is playing there that night..

Dekoze, Big leauge chu, Dave saddler. willar x

looks like it will be hard to avoid the trance. So it sounds like there might be a lot of nonsense that will be going on that night until rich comes on.

blah i dunno if i even wanna go now, i guess if i know the exact time he is going on at then i will just arrive then... hmmm it will be an intersting mix of candy ravers/ techno peeps and whatever else there that night thats for sure.

but ya know i dont think i will go caz i am sure rich will be back next month maybe even w/ a better line up - enduring trance all night egad the other day at work i had to endure japenese speed racing music - i left early - worst music ever-

but good luck to you sarah and make us proud :)

patri©k

TRIBE Member
^^^

I almost fucking choked on my drink when I read the locals. At first.. I thought they'd be in the main room.

*phew*

looks like they're in the side room. :)

main room looks to be only dekoze and hawtin.. which would lead me to believe that dekoze will open... and hawtin will close the night. so.. once the squirrels leave around 3am.. it should turn into a party. :D

ratp

edit: SARAH..you spin as DEEP GROOVE ? that's who's listed for the VIP room

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Deep Groove is playing after I am.
No one other than the residents is usually announced on the system flyer as far as I've seen.

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
Deep Groove is playing after I am.
No one other than the residents is usually announced on the system flyer as far as I've seen.

you need to play a fucking PUMPING techno set! :D

like... fucking DEEEEEESSSSTRRRROOOOOOYYYYYY the place!!!

;)

throw in a few milli vanilla accapellas.. and you'll have my attention all night. :D

ratP

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by mrs peacock

on a side not about the trance have y'all you seen who else is playing there that night..

Dekoze, Big leauge chu, Dave saddler. willar x

looks like it will be hard to avoid the trance. So it sounds like there might be a lot of nonsense that will be going on that night until rich comes on.

Last i heard Dekoze he wasn't playing trance.The dude works in a record store and seems to have vast knowledge on techno. Im thinking the guy will step up with techno without a doubt.

As for someone who enjoys breaks thats what BLC , Saddler and Willar X play.... far from trance.

Then again your definition of trance isnt on the same page as mine. RE: adam jay.

In conclusion Sara i think you will be safe from the sounds of trance :D

ez,

s
d:)

adorablehomeboy

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by tEkKiD
Last i heard Dekoze he wasn't playing trance.The dude works in a record store and seems to have vast knowledge on techno. Im thinking the guy will step up with techno without a doubt.

As for someone who enjoys breaks thats what BLC , Saddler and Willar X play.... far from trance.

Yup,

If the backroom is BLC, Saddler, and Willar X it's breaks. They might play some progressive breaks, but the last time I heard them it was all about FUNK. I've seen Willar X listed on some flyers tagged up with Shyiem, and that'll be a straight up scratch fest.

I read an interview with RH a while back and he believes that djs on a bill should work together to build a cohesive night musically.

And if you dig through your old copies of Tribe, the dj feature interview with Deko-Ze - he said he spins every style pretty much, house, breaks, trance, techno.

So if you like Hawtin, you can pretty much bet Deko-Ze is gonna warm it
up good an proper. If he spins 'trance', he'll work it in and you'll like it. Because of his versatility I can't think of a better local dj to open for Hawtin as well as other djs. (IMO)

Remember those FUCK TRANCE tshirts?
:D

derek

TRIBE Member
nice gig.

i'm trying to hit this up.

does anyone know if the deepgroove djing is the same that posts in the politics room once 'n a while. if so, and i'm there, i gotta introduce myself to the guy.

peace,

derek

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Deep Groove is actually two guys who are residents in the VIP room.
Perhaps one of them has been posting under that board name.

I took about 3 hours the other day and tried my best to play all my tech-housier shizzah....b-sides, old shit, whatever I could find...I not in the right state to be trying to figure out why my MD wouldn't record though, so I'm a little pissed about that.

Can anyone recommend any more deep, minimal techno labels? Like I said, I do not really shop for minimal, and if I were to, I wouldn't know where to start....I have a couple of nice releases from Consigned, of course the last 5 or 6 releases from Superbra...

I always find myself in this conundrum when I play in an opening slot...guh!

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
...can't go wrong with Maurizio.M series.

Forte
Blue Recordings
7th City
Substatic
Studio 1

just a few other labels for starters :)

tekno princess

TRIBE Member
paging curt/t-audio/praxie...

...these boys can give you the low-down on the labels that tend to release the deeper/minimal shit...

StewieD already mentioned the M Series: you might want to check out other Basic Channel/Chain Reaction releases as well...

I look forward to (finally) seeing you spin, Sarah!! :)

musork

TRIBE Member
I think mrs peacock has a good point didnt you get the gig for what you already do? why play tracks that your not married to only becasue you think its what people want? play the music thats in your heart as long as its close to you and means some thing to you people will dig what ever you play even if its the chessyest of trance tracks...

Skipper

TRIBE Member
because there's something to be said for being able to read a crowd.
I know that playing 3am big room dancefloor tunes are not gonna jive well at 10pm in the side room at system.

It's not that I don't enjoy minimal or tech-house techno, it's that with the limited funds I usually have when I go to buy records, it's not what I usually buy, because it is not what I usually play. I'm totally looking forward to exploring some new labels and buying some new shit...now that I have some direction.