• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Sander K @ Boa Redux

Spiritual_Thang

TRIBE Member
beautiful club, great music, fun crowd....

lining up amongst all the chinese restaurants was a bit of a trip, but im sure will be very handy for post-club munchies.

there was a definite buzz in the air, even the bouncer and club staff were bragging about the sound system and club layout.

the main floor is interesting, made up of wide ascending stairs up to the bars, with concrete walls and high ceilings. the decor was nice.

the sound was amazing, and the crowd was feeling it.

i left at about 4:30, and the club was still packing it in.

the entire nite had a real after-hours feel, reminding me a lot of the vibe at stereo in montreal.

5 bucks for water was a little too steep, but i guess they need to make up the no-alcohol revenue somewhere.

the private bathroom stalls were interesting.

can't give a review of sander, because i didn;t hear much of him.
very interested to see how the rest of the nite went...

props to the crew who are responsible for the party, its great to see a true after-hours party here in T.O.

this club will be a huge success....
i would much rather party here than at our existing late nite parties (guv, system, etc)

many thanks!

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Yay! A positive review...

I really hope to see some techno on the flyer in the new year.

Speaking of flyers, did anyone pick one up from the club? What's the line up like for the new year?

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Just got home. Stayed till the end of Sander's set. One of the best sets of music I've ever heard, period. I thought he was suppose play till 12pm though? :confused:

Thought the play was going to be sketchy while waiting in line, but one we got it the club is actually pretty nice.

More detailed review later.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

SKIB

TRIBE Member
so how long did he play for?

i'm still kicking myself in the ass for not going but there was just no way it would've worked out this time :(

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
k, i REALLY like that club! it's big, dark, nice layout, great sound, great crowd, friendly staff. like seriously, everyone was super friendly, and not sketchy at all. well, at least the people i saw and talked to weren't! the only thing they need to fix is the whole water situation. $5 for a bottle of water and no taps to refill or no sinks in the upstairs bathrooms for that matter :confused: the downstairs area was really nice too. oh - another thing that was really cool...although i didn't take one, they were walking around, handing out towels to dancing people. i also liked that it was dark, with no lasers and shit, and that the dancefloor was wider rather than long, so that even when you're at the back, you don't feel so far away (cos i usually need to be right up at the front).

anyways, i hope boa does well!

sander kleinenberg was AWESOME. really really really good. i didn't leave the dancefloor for the four hours i heard of his set. my feet are paying for it now. we left at 8, cos i was going to collapse on the floor from exhaustion. he played this really really pretty trancey song that somehow reminded me of "bloodlock". alas, i shall never know the name :(

one of the best nights of the year for me for sure. mr. sander kleinenberg, can i have your babies? :p

Last edited:

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
I had jogged by this club a couple of times and the locations looks very promising... very subtle.. imo. No big signs outside, kind of tucked away.
Anyways, I almost stopped by last night after system and left bank... but my friends and I were pretty much plastered at 3:30 am and so we called it a night. Although, the last time I saw a line up THAT long waiting to go into a club in Toronto at that time of the morning was at Industry for big acts. I mean it was 3:00am the there was a line up.. Nice to see a wicked interestest for this party. Looks like a good club!

Bring it on!
:D

Snapple

TRIBE Member
Great space.

Amazing soundsystem.

Polite, respectful staff.

Lovely ambiance.

Potential for personal disaster when it comes to those 'stairs' or step downs in the main room though. They kinda sneak up on ya.

Water, as noted, pretty expensive with no way to replenish.

Sander - really good but not blown away.

Overall, $35 very very well spent.

Highly recommend.

I'll be back.

Cheerz.

dg0425

TRIBE Member
wow, now that's sound! Sean Miller could have turned it down a little.

Great place to party but Sander K wasn't that great. He seemed to play one trance anthem after another for a while. Then when he darkened things up I was too tired to dance.

I can't wait to hear Kenny on this sound system!

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
i had a really good time

musically, one of the better sets of the year for me (top 3 imo)

really like the venue alot, have nothing but good things to say about this place

i'm a BIG fan of the layout

as well the metal dectectors were good, and they really work ya over during the pat down, friendly staff

5 bux sure is steep, but they need to cover loss from no alcomohol being served

oh and they could throw a few fans up in there

the crowd was just what i expected and the e-tard factor was mid to low so that was good

although the no sink thing bothered me a great deal. Not just to refill my bottle mind you, but i prefer to wash my grubby mitts after taking a leak, that was kinda groody :confused: :(

happy i made it out, this looks like a good addition to the scene in T.O

nice to run into some friendly faces as well :)

'G

Special K

TRIBE Member
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

I hope they can steal away some of the talent that comes to GUV and Sysytem because I would MUCH RATHER PARTY @ Boa than the aforementioned clubs. A nice clean space, very cool crowd, no annoying lasers that blind me, and I really liked the layout of the club as well. Oh yea the sound there KICKS ASS!!!

As far as Sander is concerned I thought he ROCKED IT!!!

I was completely sober I couldnt stop myself from bouncing around like a total idiot hehe. The last two hours of his set were especially good. Cant believe he played *It Began In Africa* WHAT! Good mix of some older tunes with some tracks that I have never heard before in my life. There was a long span where every consecutive track was just mindblowingly good. FUCKING SICK!!! It was also very cool to see him come down and bust a move with those that were left in the club at the end of the night too.

Sander is #2 after Lawler on my list after last night. SO. GOOD. 100X better then when I saw him @ Kool Haus with Max Graham which I thought was one of the worst sets ever.

:p

Can't wait to party @ Boa again. Im kinda pissed that Sander didnt play for longer but whatever, I still had an awesome time.

:D

10/10

mondo

TRIBE Promoter
Perhaps someone can confirm, but isn't it illegal to not have running water in a club? Even for sanitary purposes. That's disturbing if you can't clean your hands or face. :rolleyes:

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Aleks

TRIBE Member
like others have hinted at so far, i think BoaRedux takes the cake for T.O. Klubs. what can i say, its pretty much a quality experiece. The crowd was great, sound lived up to its hype, Sander rocked pretty fuckin nicely from the get go after Sean Miller. i especially liked the tracks he was droppin around 6:00am which started with a big vocal remix(?)...dope track if anyone remembers what time it was.;) well either way i thought he was working the system nicely last night. solid. solid and solid. props to boa redux.

-Al_eKs-

drude

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mondo
Perhaps someone can confirm, but isn't it illegal to not have running water in a club? Even for sanitary purposes. That's disturbing if you can't clean your hands or face. :rolleyes:

the washrooms downstairs had running water.
It looked like the sinks just hadn't been installed in the other washrooms yet.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by drude
the washrooms downstairs had running water.
It looked like the sinks just hadn't been installed in the other washrooms yet.
unfortunately, they closed the downstairs area off later on in the night.

TECHno addict

TRIBE Member
What an amazing night.
What an amazing dj.
What an amazing club.

Lastnight was unfucking believable. The club was very spacious, sound system is SPECTACULAR, and it seems (at this point) that the club has drawn appeal from some of the coolest party people in the Toronto area. Surprisingly non-sketchy crowd, very friendly staff, and good club layout. Sean Miller started out the night around 12:45 or so bumping out some very innovative progressive beats with all of the elements (tribal, house and trance). Tight mixing, excellent track selection really had the crowd going from the get go. Sander came on around 4 i believe and the party really started to get good at this point. Track selection was absolutely brilliant at times but i will admit there were a few moments in the night he must of been suffering from partying in MTL the night prior. He spun mostly shit i have never heard before but also spun a few classics and old songs (towards the end). Sander laced us with music that brought the atmosphere in the club to a level i havent experienced in a long time. He finished off around 9:15 with "Milkshake" (what?!?!!?) thats right.....milkshake (with him boogying on the dance floor with his girlfriend) - very funny shit. Sander was very interactive with the crowd and looked like he was having a blast slaying us with the arsenal of music he had in his possession. Got a chance to shake his hand and thank him for giving me a set of music i will remember for a lifetime. In closing i must say that its gonna be REAL hard for me to ever go to The Guvernment again after the clubbing experience i had at Boa. An extra $20 for room to dance and a good crowd is a good deal in my books. You dont realize how much more you can enjoy a party when you have room to do your thing on the dance floor.

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
Sounds like a great place. Can't wait to check it out (Bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox...)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
haha... what a night indeed!

I've been singing this club's praises since I first got a peek inside about 6 weeks ago. More then lived up to the hype in my opinion.

and to think that the sound system wasn't even all installed last night! :eek: :D

the bar has been raised

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by exrboy
Sounds like a great place. Can't wait to check it out (Bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox, bring in Carl Cox...)
Uhhhh... I heard there's like another case of SARS in China, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you :p

organik

TRIBE Member
YES it's ILLEGAL to not have running water... hopefully they install it or else they'll be shut down for a while till they get that fixed.

I just want to say nice reviews... I most definitely have to check this place out.

SKIB

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Special K
100X better then when I saw him @ Kool Haus with Max Graham which I thought was one of the worst sets ever.
WHAT?

you CAN'T be serious... that was an awesome set!

todiefor

TRIBE Promoter
I'm pretty sure your right... that's brutal - so no one in hte club was washing their hands after using the washroom?