• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Same Sex Marriage? Same Answer! Case Closed.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Same Sex Marriage Motion Falls In Ottawa
Thursday December 7, 2006
It's not a surprise and it ended the way everyone expected.

MPs have defeated a motion to reopen the same sex marriage issue.

The final vote was 175 against and 123 in favour.

Most considered it unlikely that politicians were ever actually going to allow the debate to start again. It is a hot potato that they'd rather not deal with as the possibility of an election looms at any time.

Most Tories and only about a dozen Liberals supported the motion. All of the NDP and the Bloc were against it.

The vote follows a sometimes pointless discussion on Wednesday that stretched late into the night, that saw MPs debating whether to reopen the debate.

Pundits believe Prime Minister Stephen Harper designed the motion to fail, but saved face by delivering on an election promise to explore whether Parliament should re-examine the issue.

That has led some to exasperation, wondering what the point of it all is.

"How many times are we going to vote?" wondered N.D.P. leader Jack Layton before the final count took place. "Are we going to have an annual vote on this issue? It doesn't make sense. It's not right."

It's the second time the House has voted in favour of gay marriage. In 2005, MPs passed a law legalizing same-sex unions in the wake of court rulings that said barring gay couples from marriage was unconstitutional.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

madnezz

TRIBE Member
I think they pretty well knew it wasn't going to pass, but at least now they can go back to the right-wing christians and say, "but we tried!"

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I swear, to think that someone like Harper can make an official decision whether I will be considered an equal citizen of this country...
It just angers me looking at my federal deductions.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
"How many times are we going to vote?" wondered N.D.P. leader Jack Layton before the final count took place. "Are we going to have an annual vote on this issue? It doesn't make sense. It's not right."
Interestingly enough, could the same not be said for repeated court challenges by advocates for same-sex marriage? The courts had ruled that the traditional definition of marriage was constitutional in case after case over the past 20 years, but people kept trying year after year until the decision went their way.

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
MoFo said:
I swear, to think that someone like Harper can make an official decision whether I will be considered an equal citizen of this country...

you were equal before since you could marry any woman you wanted to.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:

A&E is gonna run this program called "What If Gays Went on Strike?". I don't know exactly what it is, but the concept is a great idea. What I quoted above made me impulsively think that you could refuse to pay those taxes/deductions/whatever precisely because they're not giving you equal rights, so then they are illegitimate and you don't owe them money.

If Gays in America went on strike, that would fucking totally get everyone's attention specifically because of how obsessed they are with their economy. Gays are present in every single kind of job, trade, profession, and service and so a nation-wide strike would be affected by everyone. Quiet moderates would jump into action--goes my theory--and say "wtf!? If they care that much, let them get married; I want my 1st-world economic perks back".

just a thought.

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Syntax Error said:
you were equal before since you could marry any woman you wanted to.

Before what?

Before he "chose" to be gay?

Either way, that logic--which I think is opportunistic and cynical--only matters if the written law defined marriage as a whatever between a man and woman.

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
SellyCat said:
Before what?

Either way, that logic--which I think is opportunistic and cynical--only matters if the written law defined marriage as a whatever between a man and woman.

before homosexuals were allowed to marry. i thought that was obvious.

Soulster

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
Before what?

Dan, your sarcasm-meter is borken! You better go get it fixed up!

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
^^^ My sarcasmatron? That might also explain my response to this \/

Syntax Error said:
before homosexuals were allowed to marry.

But they were treated as "equals" only insofar as the law ignored homosexuaiity altogether. It's like how the American constitution had to be amended to say "okay fine....yes, blacks are also 'people'". Not that our laws didn't define homosexuals as people, but they deprived them of rights because of their sexual orientation.

As an aside, the government should have no business defining or legislating marriage (I know, I'm for legislating practically everything).

I think it's wrong to say "X can do something that Y can't do, because X has a different preference than Y" (A different preference that harms nobody). People don't have to like it, in fact that can all hate it, but it should be impossible for citizens to be deprived of certain benefits that accrue to others in the same situation but with different orientations.

(I don't know, but I suspect, that this issue may have been done to death on Tribe, so I may have just been quite repetitive)

Renton

TRIBE Member
madnezz said:
I think they pretty well knew it wasn't going to pass, but at least now they can go back to the right-wing christians and say, "but we tried!"

Right.. Because the "right wing christians" are the only group against same sex marriage in Canada.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
MoFo said:

well technically HE can't. ;)

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
I think gay sex is wrong, so the best way to stop gays from having sex is to let them marry each other!

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
I don't understand why gay people are so concerned with being associated with marriage when people like Pamela Anderson and Kid Rock completely destroy any credibility associated with the word.

Start your own tradition... call it "garriage," and push for THAT to get legally recognized.