• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

"Sales people said that no one had yet purchased a Z10"

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
No lineups, stock down as BlackBerry Z10 lands in U.S. market Add to ...
JOANNA SLATER AND IAIN MARLOW
New York/Toronto — The Globe and Mail

The new BlackBerry Z10 smartphone is launching in the crucial U.S. market on Friday, where Research In Motion Ltd. needs to see success as it mounts a comeback after losing ground to rivals Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.

But at an AT&T store in the heart of Manhattan’s Times Square, there was no outward sign that Friday was a crucial day for BlackBerry in the world’s largest market for high-end smartphones – no signs, no banners and no lines. Inside the store, staff outnumbered customers. And there, at the start of nine smartphones all in a row, sat the Z10 in its American debut.
Sales people said that no one had yet purchased a Z10, but the shopping day had just begun a half hour earlier. They added that in recent weeks, customers have been asking when the device would arrive. On the Nasdaq, RIM shares were down about 5 per cent in mid-afternoon trading.

RIM held a global launch party for the Z10 in Manhattan on Jan. 30, where it announced that the phone wouldn’t launch in the U.S. market for months – launching first in the U.K., Canada, India and many other countries around the world. Given the importance of the U.S. as RIM’s largest market in terms of revenue, the delay took many observers by surprise – and wireless industry sources said that was related to BlackBerry’s waning importance to such major U.S. carriers as AT&T.

Kimaya Parris, 21, a sales person at the Times Square store, said she is one of those considering making the switch to the Z10.

“It’s phenomenal, it’s really sleek” compared to other BlackBerry smartphones, Ms. Parris said.

She praised the display and said another selling point was BlackBerry Messenger, which she can use to communicate with friends and family back in Guyana without additional text-messaging charges.

For now, she is using an iPhone and an Android device but she’s due for an upgrade. “I’ve been waiting,” she added. “Maybe it’ll even be today.”

A few tourists had inquired about the Z10 on Friday morning, Ms. Parris said, but no one had taken the plunge. The Globe wasn’t the only party curious about how the debut was going – a few people from AT&T’s corporate operations were also due to stop by.

Of course, RIM sells its devices through carrier partners, rather than through its own branded stores like Apple, so new devices rarely attract lineups, given the sheer number of retailers offering BlackBerrys. Some lineups, however, were reported when the new device launched in London, England.

But the real glimpse of how well the Z10 is selling will come next week, RIM reports financial earnings on Thursday that will include all of the sales figures from the U.K. launch on Jan. 31 up until March 2, when that financial quarter ends.

And hopes are high, even if there is a lot of skepticism. RIM needs to show the market that its new phones have found traction with consumers and business people, but it has only been able to offer vague hints so far – such as the claim that this BlackBerry’s launch has gone better than any other in the company’s history – that its phones are selling.

Earlier this week, Morgan Stanley analyst Ehud Gelblum upgraded the stock on the opinon that “in contrast to our prior thinking, we now believe there may be room in the handset market for niche mid-range players.”

from the Globe:
No lineups, stock down as BlackBerry Z10 lands in U.S. market - The Globe and Mail

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
What I don't understand, is why RIM waited until now to launch the product in their potentially biggest market... You would think that they would launch there first, instead of launching in other countries. It seems like an afterthought to me and I think the American consumers will feel slighted - if they even notice the product at all.

The only thing I can figure is that they were trying to launch, first, in markets that that the Blackberry brand still has some awareness, like India and Canada.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
The true litmus test will be the Q10 launch. As much as the Z10 is probably the best BB device ever released the bread and butter of BB are keyboard devices. From what I've heard there will likely be a lot of big orders of the Q10 in the corporate world.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
I think for a lot of corporate clients they are still muddling through upgrade to BES10... from what I understand it's a fairly simple process but I know at least a couple clients of mine are taking their time pulling the trigger until they iron out all the details...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Not so fast there RIM rose colored glasses people....

BlackBerry shares slide on talk of poor U.S. sales and returns of Z10

Crayton Harrison, Bloomberg News

BlackBerry, the Canadian smartphone maker, fell the most in two weeks after analysts said sales of its new Z10 device are showing troubling signs.

BlackBerry slid more than 7% to US$13.57 in afternoon trade in New York. BlackBerry shares were also down about 7.7% to $13.77 at 3 p.m. ET in Toronto.

“The U.S. launch of the Z10 started poorly and weakened significantly as the days passed,” Joseph Fersedi, an analyst at ITG Investment Research, said today in a note, citing information from independent dealers. Some U.S. retailers are seeing a significant increase in customers returning their Z10s because they find the interface unintuitive, Detwiler Fenton & Co. said today.

“In several cases, returns are now exceeding sales, a phenomenon we have never seen before,” Detwiler Fenton said.

The company is counting on the touch-screen Z10, its first smartphone to use the BlackBerry 10 platform, to revive growth after losing ground to Apple Inc.’s iPhone and devices that use Google Inc.’s Android software. Retailers in the U.K. and Canada are taking pre-orders for a second BlackBerry 10 phone, the Q10, which has a physical keyboard.

octo

TRIBE Member
do you have BBRY stock shorted?

or is your agenda just to drive traffic with popular sensasionalist articles?

or are you just ignorant and don't have a clue about the market?

or are you hoping that BBRY fails, and so post "news" that fits the narrative of RIM being dead, that you've been going on about for 2 years?

BlackBerry, based in Waterloo, Ontario, responded that sales are meeting expectations and return rates are in line with the rest of the industry. It asked both the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the Ontario Securities Commission to review the Detwiler report, saying it was either “a gross misreading of the data or a willful manipulation.”

“We call upon the appropriate authorities in Canada and the United States to conduct an immediate investigation,” Chief Legal Officer Steve Zipperstein said in a statement. “Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the merits of the many competing products in the smartphone industry, but when false statements of material fact are deliberately purveyed for the purpose of influencing the markets a red line has been crossed.”

While its stock has more than doubled since September on optimism about the company’s prospects, more short sellers are betting that the comeback will fail. Short positions by investors looking to profit from a drop in the shares are near a record high.
BlackBerry asks OSC, SEC to probe ‘false’ analyst report | Toronto Star

anyone with half a brain who stopped to think about the claim realized it was neither logical nor worth repeating. But the media is in the business of getting website traffic, and when a story like this hits the wires it spreads virally.

Despite BlackBerry and Verizon publishing statements early in the day, geared to neutralize the negative headlines, the topic still dominated BlackBerry-related discussion yesterday.

It’s one thing for a research firm to do actual quality research, publish the results, and benefit from the credibility of being accurate and first on an important topic. It’s quite another thing to publish horribly wrong information without disclosing methods, or without performing a sanity check. This is why so many people will immediately suggest that Detwiler is being paid by unscrupulous short sellers (hedge funds) to feed out a negative story and capitalize on the inevitable stock price drop.
What’s really going on with Detwiler’s false accusations, and how BlackBerry is handling it beautifully

the iphone messenger was down a few days ago all over the world and there was barely a peep. had bbm gone down i'm sure you would have posted about it.

acheron

TRIBE Member
lol this is all part of the game ... you have seen what happens with Apple's stock ALL THE TIME, haven't you?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

octo

TRIBE Member
but how can they bring phones back if, according to alexd's first post in this thread, no one's buying the phones to begin with?

acheron

TRIBE Member
hehehe free samples? fuck if I know, I was never a crackberry addict, I don't know why people ever bought these things to begin with.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am not shorting their stock. I just am a skeptic of all things smartphone, whether it be the iphone 6 (it will read minds!), or the next samsung galaxy which will come with a wall mount kit so you can put it on the wall instead of a flat screen TV.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories