1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Sakurafest in High Park 2010

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by erika, Apr 18, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Was a gift, as always
    The weather turned out to be much nicer and warmer than expected
    The usual mixed crowd of japanese families taking pictures
    Dogs, kids, bikes, blankets
    Happy faces
    Mellow mellow, virtually no one with that "yeah, I just came straight from a party" vibe and that was a good thing :)

[​IMG]

Dave and Irving, thanks once again to you and the dj's.

2. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Nice day at the park but they really have to change the music, listening to the sounds of wind and water is only exciting for so long. I have no prob with the ambient but please find a dj who can play something other than relaxation tapes.

3. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    That's the whole point though, isn't it? :)

4. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I can't believe the number of people who were there that I didn't see! I think it was the biggest one ever.

5. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

what to bore me to death?:) I was there from 3-6 and the first hour was technical difficulties, fine. the next 2 hours nearly put me to sleep, I know we're not clubbing it but there are plenty of quality dj's in this city that can accomodate a daytime set that you can just sit back and listen to and enjoy good conversation and meeting new people.

6. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

It's pure ambient by design. That's the concept. Same thing comes up with the Cherry Beach events where some people see it as an extension of Saturday night clubbing and others want it to be kid- and dog-friendly fun in the sun that winds up by sundown. Always a struggle. (Honestly I'd like more of a party but I understand why they try to keep the music very tame at this event.)

I thought last year was bigger... but it's hard to tell when you throw that many people on a hill.

7. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

Definitely thought it was the biggest one I'd ever attended and it was my third or fourth in a row. Anyway, at about 7pm the hill was just packed and that is pretty good considering most of us all just got the email blast that very day. Since I'm not on FACEBOOK I wouldn't have known about it.

Cheers for the email blast. Any more pics? :)

8. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I was feeling pretty lazy; both of these have my knees in them because they were taken while horizontal :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Skipped Sunday in favour of the afterparty, where the true heads would be at. Arrived to a small crowd, but breezed right through the the guest list line. Thanks to John Howard for the hook ups! There was no ambient, and while there was still lots people, there was surely more blanket room and a friendly vibe.

8/10

10. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Friends and I had earlier brunch plans and did hang around for quite a bit, but we left around 3:30pm when we didn't hear music (and my friends were itching for some cold beer on a patio). It was already getting pretty packed around 3pm. Usual group that I have gone with for a few years couldn't make it as they already had other plans. They were pretty disappointed. Oh well.

I did go back last night with a friend and we had dinner under the blossoms. It was very relaxing and chill. Gorgeous night.

Really hated missing the music but kudos to Promise for putting this on once again. Clearly a good time was had by many.

11. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Spinsah you're just too cool for school - not like some plebes (moi) who had to get up early on Monday...

12. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

1:1:1 ratio of kids/dogs/adults. :)

beautiful day. beautiful people.

sorry to hear there wasn't enough beats in the ambient music for some people. it's not a dance party, it's a cherry blossom party. go to the zone if you want beats at 5pm sunday.

13. erk

erk TRIBE Member

What a beautiful event. Nice tunes, nice location, nice atmosphere, nice people. It was a nice chill Sunday.

14. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Lol at lack of beats

This was never about the music, it's about the Blossoms and spending a nice day enjoying nature with an ambient soundtrack. If you're only going for the music and you're not into Ambient then you've been misinformed. This event has never been a dance party at all, more a gathering of likeminded people out to enjoy nature's splendor on a beautiful day.

15. Thrill_House

Thrill_House TRIBE Promoter

Wow have been nice to actually get a proper message from dave and irving on fb so I could have known this way actually going down, guess I'll have to wait till next year.

16. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

Strictly went to see the Cherry Blossoms and enjoy the beautiful outdoor weather. Will definitely be back this weekend and couldn't care less for the party crowd or music. However, I'm sure the Japanese families will still be there in full force as usual. :p

My guess is you have until the first week of May and then your chances of seeing the Cherry Blossoms will be gone until next year.

17. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

^^If you are on the Promise fb, or the Cherry Blosson fb invite from last year, you got an email.

Yeah, it was disappointing that the message was sent so late. Many of my friends already had made other plans, and my sis (who's been dying to go), couldn't change her shift last minute. However, we all kind of look at it as a last minute decision based on weather reports.. and really, they do all this for free which is amazing. Although donations are welcome :p

18. Psyrel

Psyrel TRIBE Member

Did anyone else think the blooms this year were more white and less pinky?

I had an amazing afternoon, I swear I was drunk/high on sunshine and blossoms. Not as rammed as last year but still busy and glad that I saw some peeps out having a lovely, relaxing time.

19. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Ha. I think you misread me, I went to check out the cherry blossoms on Monday the day after the Promise crew was there. And John Howard is the long dead city planner who bequeathed/sold High Park to the city well over a hundred years ago.

20. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

They seemed more white, but as dusk set in and the ambient light changed you could see more of the pink in them.

21. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

just got back from vay-kay in the carribbean - think the blossoms would still be out this weekend for a nice walk on saturday or sunday?

22. erika

erika TRIBE Member

That would indeed be a complete misread - quelle goof je suis! :eek:

I doubt there would be much left; the plum blossoms in my backyard are on their last legs. Definitely go Saturday early and don't wait longer.

23. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

Yes, this weekend will probably be the very last chance to see them for this year. We were there yesterday for Earth Day (April 22) and lots of people must have decided to play hooky and skip work too. Earth Day must be an international holiday now! LOL I plan on seeing them this weekend one more time before they disappear. ;)

24. ian

ian TRIBE Member

lol!

25. ian

ian TRIBE Member

The Cherry trees in my hood still have their leaves. Worth a shot.