• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Safe-injection site in B.C. wins court protection

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
basketballjones said:
my original post was tongue in cheek and facetious

look those words up then continue to argue against a semi joke thread, then re read what i have also posted and then answer the q asked of you

or are you another one of the blowhard self important do gooders with ZERO real experience with the issue being discussed

well, your original post just made you look stupid. i think there was some actual discussion and debate in the thread, but you sure show great reading comprehension.

i do have real world experience dealing with junkies, a family member who is in vancouver right now asshole, and an ex friend. my personal experiences don't need to be shared with the thread.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
praktik said:
I remember in this undergrad law class I took the topic of prohibition of marijuana came up.

I remember one classmate, very emotional, loudly proclaiming that she would never want to see marijuana legalized because she had an "uncle that started using and he got addicted and he was never the same"...

So because she has a weak-willed uncle with psychological issues, we should never consider legalizing the weed...

Basketballjones and his crack-addicted relative kind of strike me as the same kind of argument. While his reminder that addiction is a tough thing to overcome is a welcome one, the example of his crack-addicted sister is not something upon which policy should be based.
it isnt my sister, i clearly said cousin...

and no, i didnt say jack shit about legalizing weed or anything in that nature, i did say that most of the feel good shit just isnt going to cut it

i also agreed on the fact posession laws are a joke, but thanx for totally ignoring that and then blathering on about some class you took

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
What is really needed is more unsafe injection sites... dirty needles, fungus growing on the walls, people pooping on each other, you know, all that kind of stuff. It really funds itself.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
MissBlu said:
well, your original post just made you look stupid. i think there was some actual discussion and debate in the thread, but you sure show great reading comprehension.

i do have real world experience dealing with junkies, a family member who is in vancouver right now asshole, and an ex friend. my personal experiences don't need to be shared with the thread.
so then you should know how hard it is
and it was supposed to be somewhat funny, but funny isnt what do gooders do well;)

asshole....ouch!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
basketballjones said:
and here i thought you had already killed yourself...
No, but I am trying to hold my breath for 30 minutes to induce brain damage so I can be just like you.

praktik

TRIBE Member
basketballjones said:
and no, i didnt say jack shit about legalizing weed or anything in that nature, i did say that most of the feel good shit just isnt going to cut it

i also agreed on the fact posession laws are a joke, but thanx for totally ignoring that and then blathering on about some class you took

I actually retained the fact that you think possession laws are a joke, and it had me wondering: "so this 'get the gubmint outta my pocket' guy is opposed to possession laws and safe injection sites? What the heck does he want then??"

The connection between your crack-addicted relative (I didn't say sister) and the example from my class is that in both cases I was confronted with an individual that wanted wide government policy based upon their personal history.

It doesn't really work that way - taken as part of a wider survey of drug addicts it can be useful, but any policy based on the desires of one individual and their specific history is going to be bad policy.

So there was a connection there in my blather, I'll make sure to slow things down a bit in the future so you catch my meaning better...;)

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
praktik said:
I actually retained the fact that you think possession laws are a joke, and it had me wondering: "so this 'get the gubmint outta my pocket' guy is opposed to possession laws and safe injection sites? What the heck does he want then??"

The connection between your crack-addicted relative (I didn't say sister) and the example from my class is that in both cases I was confronted with an individual that wanted wide government policy based upon their personal history.

It doesn't really work that way - taken as part of a wider survey of drug addicts it can be useful, but any policy based on the desires of one individual and their specific history is going to be bad policy.

So there was a connection there in my blather, I'll make sure to slow things down a bit in the future so you catch my meaning better...;)
i dont have the solution, but the governments idea of pouring money and ppl into it doesnt seem to be working at all to stem the tide of rampant drug use and isnt doing anything other then helping addicts some of the time

it is the same as thinking more basketball courts will keep kids out of crime

praktik

TRIBE Member
basketballjones said:
i dont have the solution, but the governments idea of pouring money and ppl into it doesnt seem to be working at all to stem the tide of rampant drug use and isnt doing anything other then helping addicts some of the time

I understand you're arguing from an efficiency perspective - but the trickle of money into a safe-injection site in Vancouver is nothing compared to the ocean of cash that funds prisons, police enforcement/interdiction, and the courts - and all those billions going back 70 years have failed to "stem the tide of rampant drug use".

I ask you again, why harp on a safe injection site when there's a much bigger waste of cash to worry about?

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
praktik said:
I ask you again, why harp on a safe injection site when there's a much bigger waste of cash to worry about?
Because he is a moron, shortsighted, and can't do math past grade 3.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
im harping on the mentality that hugs and good thoughts will save the day, and basketball courts will keep kids in school/away from crime, etc
it reminds me of mental health, ppl dont really want to look at or fix the issue but are dying to look like they are doing something so they can feel good about themselves

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
PosTMOd said:
Because he is a moron, shortsighted, and can't do math past grade 3.
you got all angry since your last disappearance and combative, not like your usual incoherent ramblings

did someone take your lunch box on the short bus?

praktik

TRIBE Member
basketballjones said:
im harping on the mentality that hugs and good thoughts will save the day, and basketball courts will keep kids in school/away from crime, etc
it reminds me of mental health, ppl dont really want to look at or fix the issue but are dying to look like they are doing something so they can feel good about themselves

Ok, now what do you base this on?

Who exactly are these dreamers and pinkos?

I don't buy any of that BBJ, and feel it comes more from emotion and ideology than any basis in fact... I don't think anyone at Insite would argue that "hugs and good thoughts" is the answer to addiction, and I haven't heard that anywhere except from you.

I just think you're speaking about people you've never met, assuming they're the left-leaning hippies you love to hate, and you're self-identifying as someone who isn't caught up in delusion and as someone who's aware of the harsh realities of the world. By putting them down as dreamers, you're trying to make yourself NOT look like one...

I argue you can still be aware of the harsh realities of the world and advocate for safe injection sites and harm reduction more generally.

EDIT: remember that the goal of harm reduction isn't to "end drug use". Thats the implausible goal of the "War on Drugs", and I don't think its fair to apply that unattainable goal to a safe injection site, whose goal is to reduce use, and to render it less harmful.

We shouldn't judge the site based solely on how many addicts are cured, that isn't the goal of a safe injection site, thats the goal of a treatment facility.

Last edited:

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
^ why waste resources on ppl who refuse help?

if they are going to stop it will come from them

after awhile you have to stop enabling ppl and just move on, sometimes that is the only course of action

by all means spread the word on how to be safe, hey, why not even have boxes of clean needles on the corners of the areas where drug use is rampant with another box for dirty needles?

the harsh reality is that these ppl decided to do a drug that is highly addictive, there should be help for them in the form of treatment to GET OFF THE DRUG, not do it, and counselling and such to help them get on their feet after they have decided to become clean

but wasting money so they can do dope in a clean enviornment i disagree with

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
basketballjones said:
^ why waste resources on ppl who refuse help?

if they are going to stop it will come from them

after awhile you have to stop enabling ppl and just move on, sometimes that is the only course of action

by all means spread the word on how to be safe, hey, why not even have boxes of clean needles on the corners of the areas where drug use is rampant with another box for dirty needles?

the harsh reality is that these ppl decided to do a drug that is highly addictive, there should be help for them in the form of treatment to GET OFF THE DRUG, not do it, and counselling and such to help them get on their feet after they have decided to become clean

but wasting money so they can do dope in a clean enviornment i disagree with

I have several members in my family who have been in and out of rehab for close to ten years. One of my brothers has now been clean and sober for 1.5 years and is now getting his head on straight, others seem to toss and turn and end up back in rehab again.

The truth as seen through my own eyes and from the experience of my life alone is that you can't force anyone to stop doing something they don't want to stop doing.

As a society we waste more money cleaning up after drunken clubnights and cleaning up starbucks coffee cups then we do on this site. I think its a tad trite to put down something that is simply allowing people to work through their problems in their own ways *safely*.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
oddmyth said:
As a society we waste more money cleaning up after drunken clubnights...
Hmmmm... by most definitions of 'addiction', bars and clubs and pubs could be considered "safe drinking sites" for alcoholics. Guess we should shut them down too.