• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Saeed & Palash w/ Oscar G @ BR

Snapper

TRIBE Member
Sick!

Place reminded me of Montreal... don't like the stairs in that place though.

Sickest tribal set I've heard in sometime and Oscar G was playing solid hard tracks!

Sound also sounds amazing too!

oeretS

TRIBE Member
i was there for the Heels on Wheels thing last week and i thought the same thing, very good sound, Montreal-esque, and unfortunate placement of stairs, especially since it actually divides the dancefloor from the DJ booth - I hope they sort that last one out.

The crowd last week wasn't that great, so I haven't been able to really assess the potential, but I bet this club could really go off given the right DJ's.

I'm gonna wait for Morales, Roger S, Satoshi, or a Sander return (funny, those are all Stereo Mtl residents). If they book Tyrant for their upcoming tour I'll shit myself.

torontobarfly

TRIBE Member
how was the turnout saturday???

i think at $35 a pop lots of people will pick their spots as to when they go and wait for their fave dj's rather tham make it a regular hangout...

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
So, my 1st time at Boa.....

The pros
- friendly staff
- very powerful, clean sound system (though it does need some tweaking still) - I'd say it's the best in the city
- dark, minimal lighting and decor

The cons
- the crowd (there was an epidemic of fur coats and 1/2 naked breasts) :rolleyes:
- the crowd (weren't there for the music, couldn't care less who the dj's were)
- the crowd (about 1/2 of them left before the headliner even came on!)

Music-wise I was very disappointed. The 1st guy seemed to lack direction, just playing random tracks. Oscar G started off that way as well but then switched to lounge-y tribal house, a little mellower than I like it but still good. So after waiting 4 hours, at 6am it was finally time for Saeed + Palash.

Saeed starts things off..... and it's 100% circuit house.

Now I wasn't aware that last night was being promoted as a gay night.... and if I had known, I won't have gone. Nothing's wrong with circuit music, but after paying the cover charge, waiting for 4 hours and managing to stay awake after an incredibly late Friday night.... TRIBAL house is what I wanted. What made it even more disappointing is that I've heard S&P several times before, so I know that they can deliver kiss-ass tribal sounds.

Waited til 7:30, hoping that Palash would go on and change the direction of the music.... but he left Boa around that time - guess he came back to close it off? - and I knew it was time to call it a night.

Otherwise Boa seems a nice enough space but it's evident that certain things still need working on (yes track lights are visible when you're walking up the stairs, but what about when you're walking down?).

I'll probably give the place another try, on a night when I'm sure that the advertised type of music is actually being played! And I'm pleased to see that they're bringing in amazing dj's for the next 2 weeks... so yes, maybe my 1st impressions will change.

-Tara.

p.s. big thanks to Par-T for keeping me company through a frustratingly long night!

s1k

TRIBE Member
So i got there pretty early, around 3, was very happy with what i saw. The crowd for the most part was very well dressed and pretty good looking. The place has the best sound system in town...(NOTHING LIKE STEREO) but anywho I have to say the dj booth is grosly misplaced. They need to move it to the where teh stage is so teh crowd faces the dj and people don't keep walkin up and down the dance floor for the bathrooms it kills the vibe. And the vibe, well the till about 6 the music was shity ass new york tirppy stuff i don't like, then they starteed busting out some wicked old school house tracks, some depeche mode and white stripe and the mix and an amazing set i must say into about 9:30 when i left i was rippin the dance floor. All this place needs is a little bit of tweaking. move dj booth, fix up the lighting, clear the sound a little its too bassy it shakes the wooden walls and makes a rattling sound...and i didn't really mind the surprising visit by the poalice at around 8 ocklock, oh and lastly, they need better music all night. I would love to see derrick carter or sneak play an extended set there, but even if they want to keep to new york style they gotta get some thing more up beat because till 6 the crowd was dead in imo....bring dave mor or angel moraes
oh and lastly they need an ATM machine in there.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oeretS

TRIBE Member
I think they should also stop booking so many DJ's to play on the same bill. Get a local to open til around 4, then let the invited guest go nuts for 8 hours. At the Sandra Collins thing, it seemed like there was a new DJ every 2 hours which totally messes up the flow of an evening.

drude

TRIBE Member
I heard that most local DJs won't play there because they've been told by other clubs that if they play at Boa they won't book them anymore.

dg0425

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by drude
I heard that most local DJs won't play there because they've been told by other clubs that if they play at Boa they won't book them anymore.

hmmm i believe almost every local dj was booked to play on new years day. ok, not every dj but quite a few. I've since seen them play at their regular hang outs so I'd say what you heard was someone talking shit.

Jon Tremblay

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dg0425
hmmm i believe almost every local dj was booked to play on new years day. ok, not every dj but quite a few. I've since seen them play at their regular hang outs so I'd say what you heard was someone talking shit.

there is truth in that, but it doesn't involve every club.

Blu-i

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dg0425

Sorry I think its true. Some of the DJs listed for Boa never played New Year's in the end.

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
EASILY the best sound system in the city...and this is as close to INDUSTRY old school vibe as we are going to get... half gay half straight crowd and a wicked after hours feel...this is Toronto underground..and easily the best line up of dj's week in week out in Toronto...and my god I can't wait for Danny Tenaglia to use that system...and yes he is coming there....
g.

Snapple

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Psyrel
. I'll probably give the place another try, on a night when I'm sure that the advertised type of music is actually being played! And I'm pleased to see that they're bringing in amazing dj's for the next 2 weeks... so yes, maybe my 1st impressions will change.

Who's playing over the coming weeks? Went to their site but can't seem to figure out how to advance it to Feb. and they don't seem to have anyone listed for this coming weekend.

Thanx.

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
Oliver Lieb, Chris Fortier this weekend..and it just keeps coming with Satoshi Tomiie the week after and rumours of Danny Tenaglia coming soon..damn

why not

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by drude

i've heard similar things (mainly about the other afterhours clubs). i think their flyer people are having problems as well.

i guess the competition is scared.

anyone hear anything other than rumour?

if i were playing the big afterhours clubs, i'd rather ditch them all for this place. even though i don't like the music very much, the sound is great, the room looks great, the gay/straight mix is how it's supposed to be, and the lack of a bar isn't really a problem.

i don't even mind the staircase blocking off the booth - it's not a concert, you don't need to be staring at the DJ the whole time. i like it better when people face each other, which is what i see here.

finally, a place in toronto where tenaglia would play.

just wish they would start a friday night with no progressive or trance, just proper house music.

s1k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by why not

just wish they would start a friday night with no progressive or trance, just proper house music.
For real, we need a proper house driven afterhours. I swear till the last dj came on and fired up some old school stuff the place was dead, everyone was trippin the fuk out and barly dancing.
About the dj booth and facing it, i agree with you we don't need to face it if we're dancing with each other adn theres a flow of rythm in the crowd but when its like it was on saturday its not good. At some points i would leave to go downstairs just to chill back cause i couldn't deal with it...it reminded me of cevin fichers set at the industry reunion(off course NO WHERE as bad) but i was rippin it either till he came off.

why not

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by maddog
imo , if they would just get proper dj's coming through then does the layout really matter?

roojew

i thought you hated the booth?

which, if you haven't already figured it out, was a pretty goofy thing to start a thread about. i guess you're one of those that would rather play on a shitty pioneer mixer.

i do think they should try to get a better mixer than the rane (which is good, but not as good as it could be), but i'm not talking about a scratch mixer. maybe an old bozak or urei (although the no channel EQ would be too hard for most DJs to use), but if not that then the rotary mixer DJ Deep helped design or the really high end A&H rotary.

besides, what do you care anyway? it's not like they'd get someone like you to play this kind of club.

why not

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by s1k
For real, we need a proper house driven afterhours. I swear till the last dj came on and fired up some old school stuff the place was dead, everyone was trippin the fuk out and barly dancing.
About the dj booth and facing it, i agree with you we don't need to face it if we're dancing with each other adn theres a flow of rythm in the crowd but when its like it was on saturday its not good. At some points i would leave to go downstairs just to chill back cause i couldn't deal with it...it reminded me of cevin fichers set at the industry reunion(off course NO WHERE as bad) but i was rippin it either till he came off.

are you talking about too many people walking through the dancefloor? i don't remember that being a problem when i went, but i didn't stay that late. i used to hate that about industry. sometimes though i think it's more about your own perception than the actual crowd. if i'm in a good mood, i never notice that kind of thing.

ethnik

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by why not
i've heard similar things (mainly about the other afterhours clubs). i think their flyer people are having problems as well.

i guess the competition is scared.

anyone hear anything other than rumour?

if i were playing the big afterhours clubs, i'd rather ditch them all for this place. even though i don't like the music very much, the sound is great, the room looks great, the gay/straight mix is how it's supposed to be, and the lack of a bar isn't really a problem.

i don't even mind the staircase blocking off the booth - it's not a concert, you don't need to be staring at the DJ the whole time. i like it better when people face each other, which is what i see here.

finally, a place in toronto where tenaglia would play.

it's more than a rumour from what i have heard. and if i was a resident at any of the other ''afterhours'' in town, i wouldn't budge one inch for now. why give up consitent monthly gigs/residenies at 2-3 different clubs (guaranteed income) to go play at a new club that is just starting out, with no feel for how much $$$ they have in reserve to tough it out if the crowds don't show up?

i'd say wait it out a couple of months, and see how Boa impacts the local scene and turn out at the other late-hours venues....then make a decision.

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
Boa is no Pulse (ugh worst sound sytem I have ever heard)..these guys have $$$$ and have owned several other clubs in the city...they do HAVE THE BEST SOUND SYSTEM IN THE CITY... and believe me they are talking about it all over the place, I have a friend who is a DJ out of NY and he called me to ask about it... they are getting great reviews in all the mag's... NOW, EYE etc etc and word on the street is positive...just look at the talent they are pulling in week in week out...