• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Russo's shooter to pay for lighter sentence

Richard Raiban

TRIBE Member
ya i read about this last week and thought it was rather strange. i think mayor millor was all for it too :/ (i cant recall though what he said as i was half asleep when i heard it)

Crazlegs

TRIBE Member
I think that this deal is total bs and it's sets a very dangerous precident ....... don't wanna do time? No problem! Just pay up :rolleyes:

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
I'd personally rather have a few million dollars than seeing them in jail if it was me. Satisfaction that the system works isn't going to help a paralysed person pay the bills.

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
I don't think they bought their way completely out of jail. A lighter sentence is what it stated.

Plea bargaining happens all the time. I guess this is the first time money has been involved in said pleas...

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Nonetheless, this is a seriously dangerous precedent.

What victim is going to say no to a huge cash sum, and what perpetrator with money is going to turn down such an offer?

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Money makes the world go round.

It's similar to someone who's rich and can pay a shitload to an expensive lawyer (Cochrane) and gets off. Except now the money will go to the victim who deserves it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
IIRC, Ms. Russo was a full-time caregiver for her disabled child. When she was shot, her household lost a caregiver and gained someone who needs care. She needs money to live, ramps and nurses and special cars etc to give her any semblance of her former life back. If this is the way she gets the money so be it, the government’s pony sucks ass and insurance companies can be a huge pain. Stop buying drugs if you really want to make a difference.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Personally, I wouldn't want to purse a civil case against the mob..... but that's just me.

I think this was pretty much the only way to go for Russo as far as getting some money from them goes. It's unfortunate that that's the way it had to play out, but I don't fault Russo (THE VICTIM) at all.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Let's see.

Get convicted of shooting, 10 year sentence, out in 5....no money to victim.

Get convicted and plea, 10 year sentence knocked down to 5 with the victim getting compensation.

I don't see a problem with it.....as someone stated before it's better than giving the money to a hotshot lawyer to get the community service.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Continuing in this direction, if I commit a crime and happen to be rich, will I one day be able to pay someone else, perhaps a hobo for instance, to serve my sentence for me?

miller

TRIBE Member
Eclectic said:
Let's see.

Get convicted and plea, 10 year sentence knocked down to 5 with the victim getting compensation.

I don't see a problem with it.....as someone stated before it's better than giving the money to a hotshot lawyer to get the community service.

Good point. But I still think it sets a dangerous precedent.

What happened to discussion of "mandatory minimums"?

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
Eclectic said:
Let's see.

I see your point, Ms. Russo will walk away with some money for her family and with some satisfaction that the guilty party will see some jail time. But the fact is that someone who is convicted of attempted murder is going to get a harsher sentence than some convicted of conspiracy to commit murder. This guy as a well known criminal with numerous convictions, most of them for fraud, which makes this deal stink even more.

Like most people on here have said, the most disturbing aspect of this is the precedence it sets for future cases. What I want to know is which party initiated this deal?

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
TrIbAlNuT said:
I see your point, Ms. Russo will walk away with some money for her family and with some satisfaction that the guilty party will see some jail time. But the fact is that someone who is convicted of attempted murder is going to get a harsher sentence than some convicted of conspiracy to commit murder. This guy as a well known criminal with numerous convictions, most of them for fraud, which makes this deal stink even more.

Like most people on here have said, the most disturbing aspect of this is the precedence it sets for future cases. What I want to know is which party initiated this deal?

I aggree....in my mind they should serve the full sentances AS WELL as pay the money....but that's not gonna happen as he'll just toss as much money as needed to get off anyway.

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
JEMZ said:
Who were they attempting to assasinate? And why?
As far as I know, the intended target was a business man that owned the mob some money and he refused to pay it. The original plan was to burn him alive in his car but when that didn’t go as planed; they found him in front of sandwich shop and opened fire with automatic weapons. They missed him, but the stray bullets found Ms. Russo’s spine who at the time was placing an order for her daughter inside.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
I cannot believe so many of you are buying the stupid argument about "buying their way out of jail."

For fucks sakes.....you'd all be the same people bleating about the "unfair" justice system had these guys gone the normal route and got their few years in prison. How the hell can this be wrong?

And who are any of you (I'm looking at you tribalnut) to slander Louise Russo with the whole "if she wants money" thing?? Are you fucking kidding me? Do you think the lady has the resources or the spirit to fight the mob in court? Would you turn down a multimillion dollar settlement negotiated on your behalf if you were shot, left paralyzed and had a family to look after?

Didn't think so.