• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Russian candidate: I was kidnapped (WTF!!!!!!)

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Russian candidate: I was kidnapped
Friday, February 13, 2004 Posted: 1424 GMT (10:24 PM HKT)
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/02/13/russia.rybkin/index.html

LONDON, England (CNN) -- A Russian presidential candidate who disappeared for five days says he was kidnapped and drugged by his captors who lured him to the Ukranian capital Kiev.

Ivan Rybkin, 57, said in a statement released Friday in London that he would not return to Moscow until after the March 14 election.

"I will remain abroad in order to be able to tell the truth about Russia," he said.

"My decision to stay out of Russia and my public stand on the situation within my country is the only realistic guarantee of the security of my family.... Now even the most inconspicuous accident occurring to my family would immediately be seen as the regime taking revenge on me."

Rybkin, a fierce Kremlin critic who is running as an independent candidate against President Vladimir Putin, resurfaced Tuesday in Kiev after disappearing from his Moscow home March 5. He returned Tuesday to Moscow.

In his statement, Rybkin -- the former speaker of Parliament and national security adviser to former President Boris Yeltsin -- said he had been lured under false pretences to Kiev, where he was kidnapped, drugged and kept unconscious for four days.

"I dont know who did it but I know who benefited from this," he said. "After what happened in Kiev, I'm convinced that this election is a game without rules and it can end for me without ever beginning. That is why I will continue my campaign from abroad and then we shall see."

Initially, he explained his absence as just a rest from campaigning. But after returning to Moscow, he suggested a more sinister motive.

"If I had started to say what I'm saying to you now ... it is possible that we wouldn't be having this conversation," Rybkin told Echo of Moscow radio.

Moscow police officially closed the missing persons case but said Wednesday they hoped to speak to Rybkin.

The disappearance had caused a political sensation, and the mystery deepened when prosecutors launched a murder probe, and then canceled it. Russia's Federal Security Service also launched an investigation.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by man_slut

Initially, he explained his absence as just a rest from campaigning. But after returning to Moscow, he suggested a more sinister motive.
Initially, he was taking a break from campaigning, but upon his return, and hearing about all the publicity, decided to milk it for all it's worth.

Now that's publicity that all his campaign money could never buy.

I wonder if Dean is paying attention.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
yeah cuz when you take a break you don't tell anyone where you're going right? And when you do take a break people start murder invesitgations too huh?

No politician that opposes the gov. currently in power ever just takes a break without anyone knowing about it.

Yeah Putin is going to let them launch a murder investigation into a missing politician who publicly opposes his party.

Albeit I see where you're coming from, great publicity and if Putin decides to defend himself against it he implies that he did it, if he ignores it then he looks more sinister.

I just don't blatantly believe any one side of a story without investigating both.

odbx

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
If he hadn't claimed that he was on a break initially, I wouldn't be doubtful of his claims.

But you can't argue with the publicity that's been generated. I would not be suprised to find out that he wasn't a household name prior to his "disappearance", but is now.

I guess I'm just a cynic.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
I guess I'm just a cynic.
or you didn't read the next paragraph, either or ..

"If I had started to say what I'm saying to you now ... it is possible that we wouldn't be having this conversation," Rybkin told Echo of Moscow radio.

odbx

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
No, I saw that, but again, it's a good way of covering your ass when you make up a story. Makes it more believable.

I also doubt that he was kidnapped because he's still alive. Why kidnap him and not demand a ransom? Kidnapping for the fun of it? I don't think so.

Like I said, I'm just cynical.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
touche - here's wherein my assumption currently lies .. I'm assuming that something important happened during those four days that he was opposed to. I'm assuming this mainly from the comment

I dont know who did it but I know who benefited from this

Still running around from office to office right now so I haven't had a chance to look into it further.

odbx

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
But he's a presedential candidate with no chance. What could really happen that he must not miss? I think if he missed something, he would have stated what it was or at least alluded to it.