• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Rum: The Nectar of the Gods

octo

TRIBE Member
my favourite alcohol deserves a thread.

it's probably the most fun booze (tiki bars, caribbean vacations, umbrellas in your drink), and it's delicious.

right now i'm enjoying a few measures of Flor de Cana Centenario 21.

other premium rums in my cabinet right now include

Havana Club Barrel Proof
Appleton Estate Master Blenders Legacy
Cruzan Single Barrel
Brugal Extra Viejo

and the best rum i've had to date

El Dorado 21 Year Old. I have maybe 5 oz left of it.

Another bottle I recently finished is

Zacapa Centenario Sistema Solera 23

if you come across this buy it!

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Those are very nice rums you listed. Havana Club Cuban Barrel Proof is a personal favourite.

I would also add two others: Ron Barcelo Imperial and also some other rum I had that is from the British Virgin Islands.

dg0425

TRIBE Member
After drinking havana club 7 year for a week in cayo coco I decided to try the barrel proof last week. It was $10 off at the davisville lcbo. I was kind of dissapointed. I like the 7 year better.

Tried the 12 year eldorado last wknd. It was nice. Kind of spicey.

What else is good in the $30-40 price range?

dig this

TRIBE Member
Rum over the years came back as my favorite drink. So tasty, easy, and versatile.

Oddly enough, it's the Wray & Nephew that people brought back for me from Jamaica that got me hooked... It begins as fire, but can actually mix really freaking good.

octo

TRIBE Member
After drinking havana club 7 year for a week in cayo coco I decided to try the barrel proof last week. It was $10 off at the davisville lcbo. I was kind of dissapointed. I like the 7 year better.

Tried the 12 year eldorado last wknd. It was nice. Kind of spicey.

What else is good in the $30-40 price range?
the barrel proof is more intense than the regular dark havana club. it's 45% and coats the throat more.

in the $30-$40 price range i would get the 7 year old Flor de Cana, it's one of my favourites, or try the El Dorado 12 year old. i really like angostura 1919. i went a couple of months where that's all i drank.

i haven't tried the 1824. i havent seen it at the lcbos that i go to. i'll try to track a bottle down...just checked the lcbo's website. they have it listed but it's not in stock. too bad

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
RUm is my drink as well - El Dorado is a personal fave but I've been branching out... brought back a 12 year old "Cubay" from Cuba but was a little disappointed - wasn't as premium as the price and I found it a little sweet and not in a good way.

Im looking at a Ron Barcelo "Imperial" my sister got me in nice packaging... haven't cracked it yet but shes an LCBO employee and did some research, anyone try it?

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
Finally, a thread I'm comfortable with.

I am a man of simple tastes when it comes to rum.

-Mount Gay
-Appleton
-Havana Dark

and this is my absolute new favourite, made from the only wooden still left in the world (think of all the generations of rum in that still - MMMMMM):

I prefer my rum mixed with club on ice. I know it doesn't sound appealing, but you gents need to give it a try just once and tell me it's not delicious.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ok - I will if you try me a dark rum and tonic on ice, your choice of citrus accompaniment or not.

Thats my way to take rum..;)

well, - straight is - but mixed drink I take tonic over coke unless I really need the caffeine...

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
You got yourself a deal, Mister. I'm actually making tonic syrup tomorrow, so gimme some time.

Also, I strongly suggest you boys try out a dark and stormy.
2 oz Dark Rum
3 oz Ginger Beer (You can get it at any grocery store)

deeeeelish

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
Mmm....yum.

My go-to rum is the El Dorado 5 yr. I've joked that I should host an El Dorado tasting since I have the 5, 12, 15 and 21. Haven't tried the 25 yr, in fact, I didn't even know it existed! The cream liqueur btw is not nearly as tasty as you'd imagine.

The Angostura 1919 and 1824 are great, the latter only gets pulled out for special occasions.

10 Canes is Trinidad's first rhum agricole, using pressed cane juice and not molasses. Very smooth but IMO overhyped by the Hennessy brand.

g0nz0

TRIBE Member
Rum over the years came back as my favorite drink. So tasty, easy, and versatile.

Oddly enough, it's the Wray & Nephew that people brought back for me from Jamaica that got me hooked... It begins as fire, but can actually mix really freaking good.

yes yardie. steel buckets, zeen

octo

TRIBE Member
i like rum drinkers because they're not as pretentious as scotch drinkers

anyway...

the el dorado sampler pack 12,15,21 year is on sale at the lcbo.

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
If you want to read a great book about the history of rum, "...and a bottle of rum - the history of the western world in ten cocktails" (I forget the authors name) is great. Tells the story of the first alchohol made from sugarcane, the political/taxation strife over molasses importing, how hemmingways daquiri is really made, etc. Great read.

octo

TRIBE Member
this is delicious!!

Plantation Grand Reserve 5 years from Barbados

Last edited:

octo

TRIBE Member
With a reputation for double aging fine Caribbean rums, the Plantation brand presents this superb blend of five year old aged rums from Barbados.

Plantation Grande Reserve
5 year old rum from Barbados
Each rum in the Plantation Collection is made according to its country's traditional technique and expresses the rum characteristics and flavor of its country of origin. This five year old Bajan rum undergoes a unique aging process not used by any other rum producer in the industry. After optimal aging in the Caribbean, the rum is brought to the Ferrand estate in France where it is further refined for several more months in small French oak Ferrand barrels used for bourbon and sherry.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Plantation Grande Reserve 5 year old rum from Barbados - National rum | Examiner.com Plantation Grande Reserve 5 year old rum from Barbados - National rum | Examiner.com

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member

Ugh, I have bad memories of being rubbed down with this as a kid when I was sick.

I don't think I could ever drink it.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
I was having a chat with friends last night about our favourite drinks. I've never been a huge fan of rum, except for a few I tasted when I lived in Martinique. I never drink rum except when I'm there (Most probably because it's just not the same. Rum makes me thing of blue waters, green palms and brilliant sun. :)

My favourite: