1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Roy 'I love u' Davis Jr @mad bar

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by discodancer_j, Aug 23, 2003.

1. discodancer_j

discodancer_j TRIBE Member

well how sweet was this night?
    a great crew of hardcore fans and tribers came out to hear some great choons...

Ray Ray got things going really well till after 11pm, he was then joined by Finch...bringing out all the faves he plays....

i jumped as soon as Roy came on, he played some great uplifting, soulful tracks.

I'm so glad i came out of hibernation for this, great time

great job Groovekat and Rampant.....Gold Club, nice decor

janICE:>

--why was i only partial to grabbing Jer's ass all night?...lol

2. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

Thanks to the Smiley One for list ;)

Nice to see lots of people out for some house on the more soulful side of things.

My statement still stands tho:

50% of people in Toronto who say they love house would not have loved The Warehouse or The Paradise Garage when they were running full swing.

Too much soul for some I guess...

But for me, Roy put on a solid set with sho nuff soul!

Amen, brother.

3. juice

juice TRIBE Member

First off thank you so much Joanna. It was nice talking to you and seeing just how excited you were about this great night as well. I'm so happy it went off without a hitch. I don't think I can remember a Friday night in Toronto in recent memory that had so many good nights happening (at least in my opinion). Dimitri From Paris at Revival, Digweed at Lotus, Luke Fair at System, but there was NO doubt in my mind that Mad Bar for Roy Davis Jr. was the place to be!!!

Got there about 11:15 to a nicely packed Mad Bar. No hassles at the door, nice and friendly staff, and a nice little Japanese fan for the lady. Mad Bar was done up nicely for the night as well, they didn't go overboard too much. Although we really could have done without those two dancers right up front on the stage. We were dancing front and center as always for most of the night and their asses were RIGHT in my face. Very nice asses indeed, but I was with someone who had a really nice ass as well :) So I could have done without that. Although it was fun to hear some of the comments coming from people up front or gawkers passing by.

The crowd as a whole was great, some Mad Bar Friday regulars, some real house heads, it was great! Lotsa good friends out as well, including some I hadn't seen in quite a while. That only added to the wicked vibe of the night.

I had a feeling it was going to get stupidly packed in there but throughout the night I always had room (or at least I created it). Ray Ray and Finch did a wicked job of getting the night started off properly.

Not sure what time Roy Davis Jr. came on at, I think about 12:30 but the soul in the room immediately was felt. My god THAT IS HOUSE MUSIC. I must have had the biggest grin on my face as last night was exactly what I needed. I could have stayed forever, I could have danced forever, unfortunately my girl had to be at the hospital at 8am for work as she had a surgery. So we booked it out of there at 2:30am much to my chagrin, but I left having one of the best nights in recent memory. Roy come back to Toronto more often!

4. sohaness

sohaness TRIBE Member

this night was....interesting....

from what i remember the music was really good, but it was a little too hot up front. the back of the club was the place to be with a nice breeze coming through.

steve.

5. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

^^^ Agreed. Big up the fan.

And kudos to the staff who opened up the windows on that sweat box to air out the joint.

With the breeze from the fan, and the warm soulful beats, I could close my eyes and *almost* make believe I was on a beach in Miami or somewhere.

6. Operator

Operator TRIBE Promoter

Arrived at Mad Bar at about 11:15 to catch the free guest list (thanks again Rampant!!). Grabbed a few drinks and chilled for a bit.

RDJ came on about 12:30, and went instantly up to the booth to see the man in action. This guy has definitley got the soul, and to groove to some sweet Chicago beats is always a treat.

The place was pretty packed but you still had room to groove. Great vibe, nice little atmosphere, killer house music equalled a great night.

cheers,

lee m

7. dabeats

dabeats TRIBE Member

I have to agree with discodancer in coming out of hibernation for this one. Everybody else has pretty well summed up the night nicely. The Ray Man laid down a pretty solid set I have to agree. Everyone was out to have a good time and that is exactly what happened. Great night and great beats...he has to come back more often.:D

8. Rampant

Rampant TRIBE Promoter

Thanks to everyone who made it out for Roy Davis. It was a great night and the place was packed. GoldClub did a great job on the decor, loved the GoldClub entrance frame that was put up around the door.
    The crowd was hot and sweaty and were really into the tunes.
    Great job by everyone involved and we are FUELed up and ready to do it again this Friday.
    If you love house music, then this should be a regular stop for you!

Cheers, Matt.
    :)

9. sohaness

sohaness TRIBE Member

what time did it end?

steve.

10. Rampant

Rampant TRIBE Promoter

We went till about 3.30am and then alot of people headed over to Element for the after party which was pretty killer!

11. dj Red Turtle

dj Red Turtle TRIBE Promoter

Thanks for the hook ups Joanna. First time seeing RDJ. I only caught a bit of his set... From what I could see he had the dance floor rocking. Good job Groovekat and Rampant!

12. Rampant

Rampant TRIBE Promoter

Check us out!

There has been some great reviews and views of Mad-Bar from last week. We are going to bang it out again this week and invite everyone to come check out what others have been smiling about. This will be an inexpensive evening and a great way to start off the long weekend, especially if you are going to the Labour of Love Party at the Guv't. (Come check out Rampant in Charlies with Manzone&Strong)
    This week we have residents Matt Gracie, Ray Ray, and Finch. Along side FUEL residents will be hard working up and comers Morgan Starr and Vince Von.
    Of course, you will have your lovely Hostesses Miss Christina and Joanna!

Guestlist always available guestlist@rampant.ca or groovekat@sympatico.ca
    or 416-470-5931

Cheers, Matt
    :cool: