• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Routers security

wickedken

TRIBE Member
So does anyone have any pointers to help ensure your router is secure? I've had a nagging suspicion that neighbour(s) are piggybacking onto my service. Generally I don't mind unless it interferes with my service level, which it does. I've reset the hardware several times, and what starts at rapid response turns into nagging response.

It's a WRT54G. Does installing one of the open firmware packages help? I've set up MAC filter and IP filter when wired, and then turned on wireless. This should help, yes?

My neighbourhood has 25 different wireless access points broadcast, so it's quite congested.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
The MAC and IP filter should be all that you need (implicit allow and deny statement)... There may be a n option as well that allows you not to advertise as a wireless device...

wickedken

TRIBE Member
There is a degradation of service that I can notice that only appears via wireless. I think but don't know how to tell if it's saturation of bandwidth. It could also be a dying radio.