• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Router troubles

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Hi all. In the summer I bought a Linksys 802.11 g wireless router. It has worked well untill recently.

The host computer (which is wired to the router) will lose it's signal every now and then, but refreshing the page will always work.

My laptop has a built in wireless card, but I've also tried and external wireless (USB) adaptor and the following happens using either..

The signal will stop working - sometimes refreshing will work and someimes not,and when it's down it will be down for hours.

The strangest thing is that when it's down the wireless connection status will show it as connected.

I've searched on line adjusted all the settings as prescibed, to no avail.

I would imagine if it's a setting tha'ts wrong it would either work or not work.

anyone?

MARCin

TRIBE Member
You sure its the problem with the router, and not the modem(ie. the ISP)? Next time this happens, try pinging the router. If you can ping it, its most likely a problem with the ISP and you should give them a call to see if their network is down..

MARCin

TRIBE Member
I dont think it would be a phone issue seeing how the net goes down for hours..
So is it only an issue with the laptop(wireless), or does the desktop(wired) go down on you aswell?

catilyst

TRIBE Member
The wired computer will go down every now and then, but refreshing it always works right away.

The wireless computer will frequently go down, and sometimes be out for quite awhile. (during this the wired comp is working fine)

Redout

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr. Grinch
Try updating the firmware on thr router?
There are lots of alternate (better) firmwares out there for the WRT54G
yep

as well make sure ur windows is updated

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by catilyst
Awesome thanks C.J.!! Which one of them muffuckas I dowload g?
Depends on the model of your router. You'll need to check the version. Is it a G or GS?
If it's just a straight G then run the final release of Alchemy.
If it's a newer model then you run Freeman (Talisman).

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Hey guess what? I'm a dumbass.

Got a new router and without touching any settings, the net works just dandy.

But now my bloodclot Outlook isn't working. Its always been set up to be used on a wireless network but can't access the pop or smtp servers..

Anyone?

thanks as usual.