• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Router Help

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Tribe I need your help.

I just got a new Seagate 3TB external HD and the Dlink DIR-857 media router.

The external HD has been formatted to FAT32 and all my files are on it now. I have no issues if the HD is connected via USB to my laptop, but when I try to use the USB share point on the router my laptop can't find it. When I open the share point it see's my router and some built in media player (i'm guessing) but not the external HD.

I've upgrade the firmware on the router but that hasn't helped.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get my share point working, I would be grateful.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Wish I could help, the documentation for that particular router is useless, you need to look at the Sharepoint Plus Utility documentation

http://www.dlink.com/ca/en/support/...al Downloads/DAP 1533_Shareport Manual_CA.pdf

I would start with this phrase

Install the SharePort Utility on the computer or computers that you would like to use the USB device(s) with. Remember that the computer(s) will also need the device drivers for the USB devices connected to the router.
I'm assuming you formatted the FAT32 partition with your laptop, so you should already have the drivers on your laptop for the USB drive, but if you didn't you should certainly start with that.

rawd

TRIBE Member
I had that router for 3 days before returning it to NCIX.

It was nothing but problems .. The range on it was worse than my old 655... Connections to it were intermittent ... When I returned the router the kid just smiled and said , ah another one..

derek

TRIBE Member
i took a quick look at the manual as well as it peaked my interest and couldn't find anything.

rawd is right though, the reviews on this router are not very good. may want to considering swapping for a better router.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rawd

TRIBE Member
Sorry I don't...

My old trusty single band 802.11n DIR655 works great, but I saw a good deal on that 857 which turned out to be a bust so I just went back to my old router.. Just wait for AC to get standardized now I suppose, no rush

I also found lots of mixed reviews on the 857 as well but took a chance on it.. If i based all my purchases on internet reviews, i'd still be using a typewriter

Balzz

TRIBE Member
I'm using Meraki at home now but I've got a couple more 40% off employee discount codes for Linksys if anyone wants. Not sure how long they're valid for since we've sold to Belkin.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
I give up. I took back the DLink I purchased and picked up the ASUS N66 and still can't get it to work.

The router is much better in terms of range, speed ect, but I still can't find my external HD when I attach it to one of the USB ports in the back. It is a bit more encouraging that in the router webpage it notices my seagate HD, but then it also says there is no USB attached.

One thing I did notice is the ASUS has a media player associated with it. When I'm networking folder on my laptop It is there but empty. Do I have to put all my media files here from the HD?

I'm ready to throw this out the window.

Everyone keeps telling me "it should work, just plug it in"

When the HD is connected to my laptop there are no issues, but I don't feel like taking my external HD with me around the house :(

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
*Facepalm

Guy at the store said it would support this. Looks like I will try reformatting in another type.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories