• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Roommate Rental Landlord Living-Space Neighbour Horror Stories

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
These guys got full bacchused.

Tishman Speyer | Hudson Yards | Tenant Laws NYC

Tishman Speyer pays out $25M to Hudson Yards holdouts

A pair of dogged, enterprising tenants – or system-exploiting jerks, depending on your point of view – won a massive settlement from Tishman Speyer for finally vacating their West Side pad.

Gary Schwedock and Steven Kobrick, who lived at 10th Avenue and West 35th Street in the heart of the emerging Hudson Yards project, received $25 million from the developer after refusing to vacate and deploying veteran tenant lawyer David Rozenholc.

To win the settlement, Rozenholic employed grinding delay tactics. Tishman, he said, was right to concede.

“I would have taken the next step and come up with another argument. [Even] if [the developer] wins every step of the way, it will take them five years,” he told Crain’s.

Rozenholic, indeed, has a reputation for this sort of thing.

“He’s the most feared tenant attorney with respect to development sites,” said Magnum Real Estate Group’s Ben Shaoul. “I don’t think he has ever lost a case.”

Tishman bought the surrounding area in two separate deals for $438 million in April 2014, with plans to build a 61-story office tower at a cost of $3.2 billion. [Crain’s] – Ariel Stulberg

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I dunno, maybe landlords shouldn't just accept tenants willy-nilly and do some more screening - the only thing I'm questioning is jeffsus as a judge of character

I mean

After having "trouble with tenants" so many times what is the rest of tribe to believe? The common factor is jeffsus, so why does he always end up having so much trouble with tenants?

There can only be so many lousy tenants after all - have a good long look in that mirror!
The vast majority of landlord do checks which render the poor ineligible for housing.

I have been on the other side, allowing people with no credit, questionable pasts, to live inside my home. My discretion, my risk, my loss.

Despite my knowing it's a risk, I have been robbed by tenants, and it's set me back. A lot. This is a risk that comes with territory.,

Maybe you're married. Maybe you have kids. Maybe you have a million reasons why you don't expose yourself to risk. I'm not in that category. I clean up society's seconds.

https://youtu.be/sJQ32q2k8Uo

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
So I know people who are buying homes for the sole purpose of renting them out as investments. Is this a good idea?

They are renting out the homes for more than the mortgage payments. If someone can afford paying higher than the mortgage why don't they just buy a home themselves?

-jM
A&D

djfear

TRIBE Member
So I know people who are buying homes for the sole purpose of renting them out as investments. Is this a good idea?

They are renting out the homes for more than the mortgage payments. If someone can afford paying higher than the mortgage why don't they just buy a home themselves?

-jM
A&D
Because those people don't have $80k sitting in the bank for 20% down + lawyer / closing / real estate agent fees, yet they don't or can't live with their parents for who knows how long to save that much money.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
[- FuNKtiOn -];4713047 said:
Some would argue that buying a home for the sole purpose of renting them out is the only way to make a positive return on real estate nowadays. I hate to use Kevin O'Leary as the voice of reason, but he makes some good points here (the video elaborates more than the written text, fyi):
Ask O’Leary: Why Kevin O'Leary says real estate is one of the worst investments
Probably because I live in Alberta (and because personal anecdote), but the last two places that I have bought have increased 15% in the last 3 years. This is taking into account the current market regarding oil and Alberta's dependency on it.

15% is a lot, IMO. Market is a bit slow right now, but this is out of the norm. Things will pick up and be back to business as usual in no time. With that said, now is the time to buy, however, you probably will not be able to rent the place out since all the laborers are moving back east.

orchid

TRIBE Member
haha, i've had a baby and haven't looked at tribe in 4 months! i come on here and scroll through, and lo and behold, this thread is still pumping!

djfear

TRIBE Member
This one's for Jeffsus:

Seizures of property often cash grabs by provincial governments, report says | Toronto Star

I'm not insinuating that you're doing anything illegal, but I know you rent to people "on the fringes of society". It's ridiculous that the government can take away someone's property if the tenants are doing something illegal.

"Maggie Reilly has been fighting the province in court for the last seven years, after the government seized two of her rental properties in Orillia, following accusations that she was receiving drug money as rent from some of her tenants.

“We were shocked. I’ve been a good citizen all my life. I’ve never broken the law,” she told the Star.

“We had reserved those two buildings particularly to house people who are basically living on the fringes of society, people who other landlords are not comfortable renting to, but everyone’s entitled to a roof over their heads.”

Reilly, 55, is among a number of individuals across the country who have had property seized even though they’ve never been charged or convicted of a crime.
"

praktik

TRIBE Member
Thats classic War on Drugs perniciousness, runaway trend in the states. Sad to see here too.

WE should roll that shit back!

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
This one's for Jeffsus:
I'm not insinuating that you're doing anything illegal, but I know you rent to people "on the fringes of society". It's ridiculous that the government can take away someone's property if the tenants are doing something illegal.
The last two tennants I had robbed me blind. They took advantage of me. Fair enough, I wasn't around much but that is no justification for them to rob me.

Along with, say, my laptop, they robbed me of little things that make life just that little bit more annoying,

1. My power drill and drill bit set -- now I can't fix stuff
2. My suitcase -- now I need to buy another
3. My kindle -- as if that guy reads
4. Money in the form of gold -- insurance won't repay this
5. My nice leather jacket -- hey it looked good on me must look good on them
6. Ironically a safe -- a present I never opened
7. Groceries -- perhaps not a big deal but they cleaned me out
8. My stereo system -- not the best but it worked for me
9. Watches -- easily pawnable I suppose
10. Backpack -- it was a nice one, capable of carrying out half the shit they stole from me
11. My laptop -- now I just use my work laptop

etc etc.

I phoned the police and they took a statement, but obviously they aren't going to do anything about it. They mentioned the one individual is "a known transient". He caused plenty of physical damage to my property.

That being said, I've gotten over my self pitty and will again rent to a disadvantaged fellow. This time I am being (marginally) more careful by getting deposits and questions. I'm not as desperate for renters now as I was before.

Nonetheless I do hope this 25 year old is ready to ride the wave of adventure that comes along with "Living with Jeffsus".

-jM
A&D

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Our case has it's final hearing on June 15th

we've had like 6 hearigs and multiple stall-delay-tactics from their legal representative, but things are looking really good for us.

our former landlord is so bloody stupid and agreed to so much that benefitted us , despite her lawyer giving her strong nudges and winks and telling her not to agree to those things.

I can't wait to post a full review, but the adjudicator has indicated to us on a few occasions that we have a fantastic case with strong evidence. he's commended us on our ability to hold our own against JEMS (aka the Saul Goodman of toronto landlords.)

Seriously though.. the thrill of outsmarting someone who has done this for a living for decades is exhilarating. Each trap he fallls for frustrates him that much more and only serves to benefit us and our case.

PM me if you want details on the place/time. It's going to be great! Limited seating capacity!!

Last edited:

kyfe

TRIBE Member

we've had like 6 hearigs and multiple stall-delay-tactics from their legal representative, but things are looking really good for us.

our former landlord is so bloody stupid and agreed to so much that benefitted us , despite her lawyer giving her strong nudges and winks and telling her not to agree to those things.

I can't wait to post a full review, but the adjudicator has indicated to us on a few occasions that we have a fantastic case with strong evidence. he's commended us on our ability to hold our own against JEMS (aka the Saul Goodman of toronto landlords.)

Seriously though.. the thrill of outsmarting someone who has done this for a living for decades is exhilarating. Each trap he fallls for frustrates him that much more and only serves to benefit us and our case.

PM me if you want details on the place/time. It's going to be great! Limited seating capacity!!
you outsmarted a paralegal, I wouldn't get too excited.

Regardless congrats on holding your own

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Not just outsmarted, but embarrassed and frustrated to the point where he lost his cool - and he's been doing this for over 20 years as toronto's biggest landlord lawyer.

He braggs on his website about living @ the LTB. :rolleyes:

JamesM

TRIBE Member

You still on about this crap? Did you take em' the cleaners! ?