1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Roommate Rental Landlord Living-Space Neighbour Horror Stories

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by SonorouS, Jan 3, 2009.

1. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

you sound like the Oliver Jewellery of tenants.

Everything is huge fines! HUUUGE. OH, YEAH!

2. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

3. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

These guys got full bacchused.

Tishman Speyer | Hudson Yards | Tenant Laws NYC

4. Hawk Eye

Hawk Eye TRIBE Member

oh tribe. You never change! lol /amused. :)

5. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

The vast majority of landlord do checks which render the poor ineligible for housing.

I have been on the other side, allowing people with no credit, questionable pasts, to live inside my home. My discretion, my risk, my loss.

Despite my knowing it's a risk, I have been robbed by tenants, and it's set me back. A lot. This is a risk that comes with territory.,

Maybe you're married. Maybe you have kids. Maybe you have a million reasons why you don't expose yourself to risk. I'm not in that category. I clean up society's seconds.

https://youtu.be/sJQ32q2k8Uo

6. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

So I know people who are buying homes for the sole purpose of renting them out as investments. Is this a good idea?

They are renting out the homes for more than the mortgage payments. If someone can afford paying higher than the mortgage why don't they just buy a home themselves?

-jM
    A&D

7. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

8. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

Because those people don't have $80k sitting in the bank for 20% down + lawyer / closing / real estate agent fees, yet they don't or can't live with their parents for who knows how long to save that much money.

9. the_fornicator

the_fornicator TRIBE Member

Probably because I live in Alberta (and because personal anecdote), but the last two places that I have bought have increased 15% in the last 3 years. This is taking into account the current market regarding oil and Alberta's dependency on it.

15% is a lot, IMO. Market is a bit slow right now, but this is out of the norm. Things will pick up and be back to business as usual in no time. With that said, now is the time to buy, however, you probably will not be able to rent the place out since all the laborers are moving back east.

10. ravinjunkie

ravinjunkie TRIBE Member

Yes I did - thanks for asking.

I was super stressed during that process and needed to vent somewhere.

11. orchid

orchid TRIBE Member

haha, i've had a baby and haven't looked at tribe in 4 months! i come on here and scroll through, and lo and behold, this thread is still pumping!

12. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

This one's for Jeffsus:

Seizures of property often cash grabs by provincial governments, report says | Toronto Star

I'm not insinuating that you're doing anything illegal, but I know you rent to people "on the fringes of society". It's ridiculous that the government can take away someone's property if the tenants are doing something illegal.

13. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

The O.P.P is like a paramilitary force. People should be more afraid than they are.

14. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Thats classic War on Drugs perniciousness, runaway trend in the states. Sad to see here too.

WE should roll that shit back!

15. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

The last two tennants I had robbed me blind. They took advantage of me. Fair enough, I wasn't around much but that is no justification for them to rob me.

Along with, say, my laptop, they robbed me of little things that make life just that little bit more annoying,

1. My power drill and drill bit set -- now I can't fix stuff
    2. My suitcase -- now I need to buy another
    3. My kindle -- as if that guy reads
    4. Money in the form of gold -- insurance won't repay this
    5. My nice leather jacket -- hey it looked good on me must look good on them
    6. Ironically a safe -- a present I never opened
    7. Groceries -- perhaps not a big deal but they cleaned me out
    8. My stereo system -- not the best but it worked for me
    9. Watches -- easily pawnable I suppose
    10. Backpack -- it was a nice one, capable of carrying out half the shit they stole from me
    11. My laptop -- now I just use my work laptop

etc etc.

I phoned the police and they took a statement, but obviously they aren't going to do anything about it. They mentioned the one individual is "a known transient". He caused plenty of physical damage to my property.

That being said, I've gotten over my self pitty and will again rent to a disadvantaged fellow. This time I am being (marginally) more careful by getting deposits and questions. I'm not as desperate for renters now as I was before.

Nonetheless I do hope this 25 year old is ready to ride the wave of adventure that comes along with "Living with Jeffsus".

-jM
    A&D

16. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

Our case has it's final hearing on June 15th

we've had like 6 hearigs and multiple stall-delay-tactics from their legal representative, but things are looking really good for us.

our former landlord is so bloody stupid and agreed to so much that benefitted us , despite her lawyer giving her strong nudges and winks and telling her not to agree to those things.

I can't wait to post a full review, but the adjudicator has indicated to us on a few occasions that we have a fantastic case with strong evidence. he's commended us on our ability to hold our own against JEMS (aka the Saul Goodman of toronto landlords.)

Seriously though.. the thrill of outsmarting someone who has done this for a living for decades is exhilarating. Each trap he fallls for frustrates him that much more and only serves to benefit us and our case.

PM me if you want details on the place/time. It's going to be great! Limited seating capacity!!

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  17. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

JEMZ from the board?

18. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

19. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

20. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

you outsmarted a paralegal, I wouldn't get too excited.

Regardless congrats on holding your own

21. spaboy

spaboy TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

22. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

So sick gif is so sick

23. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

Not just outsmarted, but embarrassed and frustrated to the point where he lost his cool - and he's been doing this for over 20 years as toronto's biggest landlord lawyer.

He braggs on his website about living @ the LTB. :rolleyes:

24. spaboy

spaboy TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

25. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

You still on about this crap? Did you take em' the cleaners! ?