• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Roommate Rental Landlord Living-Space Neighbour Horror Stories

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
It's a public message board. You can't expect everyone to blow sunshine up your ass, bud. Especially the way you are coming off with all this to me appears, you're completely abusing the system. It makes no sense to me.
i'm not looking for sunshine, i'm just looking for you to use some fucking logic man.

You're a fucking idiot.

It's impossible for me abuse the system if i'm on the defending side, you fuckwit.

Last edited:

derek

TRIBE Member
it's actually entertaining to see you get excited. keep it up.

and yes defendants can take advantage of a system (i think you're in the right, just handling it like a child is all) happens in tort law all the time

it has nothing to do with logic.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Here's a scenario that someone here might quickly know the answer to.

A coworker of mine is 6 months into a year lease on a house. The house has changed ownership during this time.

The new owner has decided to renovate the house and it's generally become a nightmare to live in and my coworker doesn't want to be there anymore.

Is he allowed to give his 60 days notice and terminate the lease early as the lease was actually with the previous owner?

coleridge

TRIBE Member

A coworker of mine is 6 months into a year lease on a house. The house has changed ownership during this time.

The new owner has decided to renovate the house and it's generally become a nightmare to live in and my coworker doesn't want to be there anymore.

Is he allowed to give his 60 days notice and terminate the lease early as the lease was actually with the previous owner?
Never mind. Answer appears to be no.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

wickedken

TRIBE Member
There appears to be a material change in living conditions which could give grounds to seek to terminate a lease. The guy could just ask nicely as well, which might actually be beneficial to the owner so the work can progress on a larger scale and potentially faster.

the wiz

TRIBE Member
a few years ago I was renting a room in a house and the landlord came to me one day and told me I HAD to move into the basement cuz a woman with a child was moving in and wanted my room......I was pissed, but complied with his request. One week later I was in the basement room during a rainstorm and OMG.......there was a fireplace in there and they must have not covered the chimney properly so ALL the rain poured-down and right into my bedroom.....total flood.....most of my stuff got soaked and had to be tossed-out....and after that the mold was insane and I had to leave.....what a dick......there are WAY to many slumlords in Toronto who don't give a shit about maintaining their units.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member

Your friend should first ask the landlord if they are willing to end the tenancy early. If the answer is yes they should both sign this form:
http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/documents/ltb/Other Forms/N11.pdf?20b805

If the landlord does not agree, your friend can apply to the board to end the tenancy. They should document dates and events and reasons why the unit has become a nightmare to live in. Take photos too.

more info: Legal ways to move out early | CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario / Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario)

wickedken

TRIBE Member
i'm not looking for sunshine, i'm just looking for you to use some fucking logic man.

You're a fucking idiot.

It's impossible for me abuse the system if i'm on the defending side, you fuckwit.
I think I said this a few months ago... sometimes situations are best dealt with just by talking and relating to whomever you are dealing with. Most situations are handled this way, corporate, parties, events, whatever. Law is there when two parties can't come to an agreement.

It seems that you're just skipping the first part.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
How would you suggest talking and relating to a landlord who tells you they are kicking you out when you refuse to accept an illegal rent increase?

This thread is baffling.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Yes, and I saw the very reasonable attempts to make accommodations first hand - you guys should try giving the benefit of the doubt!

Its not like Bacchus just jumped right to the tribunal - this grew over a few weeks and after attempts at reconciliation failed.

But I mean, if you want to just imagine it in the shittiest way possible so you can write a 3 line post that gets you a dopamine hit from the thrill of shitting on another person, I mean, I can't stop you

But hey - yknow - maybe some introspection and a little charitability is in order!

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
How would you suggest talking and relating to a landlord who tells you they are kicking you out when you refuse to accept an illegal rent increase?

This thread is baffling.
I believe there is still sufficient ambiguity over whether the unit is covered by legacy rent control guidelines.

The landlord didn't said they were kicking him out for not accepting a rent increase - they are re-purposing the unit for personal reasons... which is a legal right guaranteed to landlords.

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Yes, and I saw the very reasonable attempts to make accommodations first hand - you guys should try giving the benefit of the doubt!

Its not like Bacchus just jumped right to the tribunal - this grew over a few weeks and after attempts at reconciliation failed.

But I mean, if you want to just imagine it in the shittiest way possible so you can write a 3 line post that gets you a dopamine hit from the thrill of shitting on another person, I mean, I can't stop you

But hey - yknow - maybe some introspection and a little charitability is in order!

Gargling Balls: when a person metaphorically gargle (aguh aguh aguh...) the balls of another person with their mouth because he is that person's personal servant or bitch.
Joe goes out of his way to make Bills day, therefore Joe gargles Bills balls.

Eric does what Tim wants, therefore Eric gargles Tim's balls.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya - or you know - giving the benefit of doubt, if you were to put it charitably

But by all means, let the schoolyard taunts continue unabated!

praktik

TRIBE Member
I believe there is still sufficient ambiguity over whether the unit is covered by legacy rent control guidelines.
Only if you refuse to accept that Bacchus reported that his unit was covered by rent control, upon review by experts beginning the tribunal process.

This gave extra credibility to his claim. Or you can ignore it - the final decision will of course be the final word, as the process has not yet completed.

praktik

TRIBE Member
You've misunderstood. She is no longer taking me to the Board for a rental increase. She's taking me to have us evicted because "her mom is moving in". Which we know is bullshit, and the fact that this only came up when we refused the rent increase is a sign of maliciousness on her part.

Also, I'm not wrong about the rental increase. I've spoken to both legal aid and the board
Evidence supporting claim that unit is covered by rent control. Two different sources confirmed it, legal aid and the board.

Bacchus, has this point of fact been established or are you now "past" the rent increase and won't be matter of debate in the process?

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Only if you refuse to accept that Bacchus reported that his unit was covered by rent control, upon review by experts beginning the tribunal process.

This gave extra credibility to his claim. Or you can ignore it - the final decision will of course be the final word, as the process has not yet completed.
I didnt know the name of this game was 'blindly trust the guy who has gotten in litigious fights with 40% of his landlords.

Gargle Gargle.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Today I learned that a gargle sound can be typed out as "aguh aguh aguh"!

What is a fart sound? "Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt"?

praktik

TRIBE Member
Hey you know, what if I DID wash his balls?

Isn't that what friends are for?

Are you just shaming a friend for being a friend to a man - a man with balls?

You guys can pile on with your "i betcha's" and assumptions, twisting what you need to make Bacchus look as shitty as possible. I'll keep coming back with my

"I can see it his way" and "that's not altogether unreasonable"

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
The landlord didn't said they were kicking him out for not accepting a rent increase - they are re-purposing the unit for personal reasons... which is a legal right guaranteed to landlords.
It's quite common for landlords in Toronto to use this reason for ending tenancies when they don't intend on actually doing so. It's the easiest way to kick a tenant out, and it's difficult to prove they're not acting in good faith. Most tenants won't ask landlords to go through the official eviction process with the board, and most tenants won't check if the landlord or family member has moved in after they leave. Everyone knows it's a loophole and so it gets exploited.

My own landlord has used it more than once without ever having followed through on moving immediate family in.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
I didnt know the name of this game was 'blindly trust the guy who has gotten in litigious fights with 40% of his landlords.

Gargle Gargle.
Is that the same game as: "give the benefit of the doubt to the guy who appears to have a history of winning litigious fights against his landlords?"

I mean sure, it's the internet. He might be lying about everything. Might not even live indoors. But nothing being claimed is particularly outlandish, so I don't see why one would suddenly resort to the 'i won't blindly trust this particular set of facts that I appear to have overlooked.'

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories