• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Roommate Rental Landlord Living-Space Neighbour Horror Stories

praktik

TRIBE Member
No I don't think you were looking for a fight Bacchus, but that probably applies to a few posters in this thread who feel that attacking the credibility of a fellow triber is better than supporting a fellow triber, and trusting that the stories shared here between friends are honestly related.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Did we come in looking for a fight?no we just wanted a place to live.

We naively hoped that as an ignorant first time landlord, she would become educated. We're her first tenants ever, but not the only tenants. And it's important not only for our rights but for hers that she's aware of the rights of both parties.

She's had two sets of tenants downstairs, the last of which left on a dime when she illegally forced them out. Not going to let that happen to me with a child.
This is precisely why you are retarded. BEFORE moving in, (after being burned by 2 'unreasonable' landlords previously) you say cool, then if we don't have to worry about it then let's also sign a new lease with those clauses removed. The psychology of taking from verbal to written agreement is as important as your comfort that the law is on your side. Because I wouldn't enter into another sticky situation because I had a child. I'd have moved on. Because even if I was 100% and there was no valley of unknown with the application of the law, I wouldn't want to continue to fight with my landlords over and over. You welcome a fight. Most people who encountered a first time landlord with no experience and silly clauses would say 'this is probably too much risk and trouble'. Shes giving you every indication she will be.

The warning I offered before is that you should just be careful. In all case and scenarios, the enforcement of law may not be entirely black and white. You are not a residential real estate lawyer and you might get burned--if only for $10k to pay for ones assistance when you paint yourself into a corner.

Last edited:

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
This is precisely why you are retarded. BEFORE moving in, (after being burned by 2 'unreasonable' landlords previously) you say cool, then if we don't have to worry about it then let's also sign a new lease with those clauses removed.
That's completely unnecessary if I know that she can not enforce said clauses.

The psychology of taking from verbal to written agreement is as important as your comfort that the law is on your side. Because I wouldn't enter into another sticky situation because I had a child. I'd have moved on. Because even if I was 100% and there was no valley of unknown with the application of the law, I wouldn't want to continue to fight with my landlords over and over. You welcome a fight. Most people who encountered a first time landlord with no experience and silly clauses would say 'this is probably too much risk and trouble'. Shes giving you every indication she will be.
except that she expressed genuine appreciation for our knowledge of the law and even expressed that she appreciates our showing her this, because she's a new first-time landlord.

Am I welcoming a fight? no - but i have no problem standing up for myself in one.

she brought it on, and now she'll learn the hard way.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
and you can call me offensive derogatory names all you want - but you still don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

And at the end of the day, I still don't have to leave my home until the board asks me to.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
I believe that standing up for your tenant rights is important and don't see Bacchus in the wrong for doing what he has done. Perhaps a bit less confrontation in the email wording could've helped, but the bottom line is he's in the right there.

Personally though, I wouldn't care about this much of a fight and having to take time out of my day to deal with all of this, for a difference of $20 monthly rent increase. But I also really hate moving, so perhaps my passiveness is a flaw for potential landlords to take advantage of. Luckily I've had good relations with my landlords so haven't been put in these situations.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

praktik

TRIBE Member
and you can call me offensive derogatory names all you want - but you still don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

And at the end of the day, I still don't have to leave my home until the board asks me to.
We've actualy stopped using the word "retarded" in our household, and Im glad my wife has shamed me into not using it anymore!

Disrespectful not just to the target but also to people with disabilities in general

Seems you have a few hatas here Bacchus but you know what they say:

derek

TRIBE Member
[- FuNKtiOn -];4703682 said:
I believe that standing up for your tenant rights is important and don't see Bacchus in the wrong for doing what he has done. Perhaps a bit less confrontation in the email wording could've helped, but the bottom line is he's in the right there.

Personally though, I wouldn't care about this much of a fight and having to take time out of my day to deal with all of this, for a difference of $20 monthly rent increase. But I also really hate moving, so perhaps my passiveness is a flaw for potential landlords to take advantage of. Luckily I've had good relations with my landlords so haven't been put in these situations.
no. you're just using common sense in determining that $240 a year isn't worth moving, or getting into a prolonged battle with your landlord, and you can probably negotiate / mediate better than Bacchus.

it's called risk mitigation. he claims to be doing this for his family but inadvertently may be putting them on a tougher course with his action.

he may be right sure but it may not be the most prudent course of action.

i predict in a few years we'll be hearing a similar story from him in his next place

kyfe

TRIBE Member
What Derek said.
3 times in the past few years you've fought with your landlords. Just curious how many have given your referrals?
This game of legal wrangling is going to do you no favours.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
A few years? try 8 months. I only went back one random page, but I could swear this is the 3rd in 3 years. And he'll come back boasting about it like it's a good time to fight with people. Even if he's 'right'. You were a dick with the dog/pet thing. And I don't think anyone is arguing you're wrong. At least I'm suggesting you seem to look for trouble.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JamesM

TRIBE Member
We told her WHEN WE MOVED IN that certain clauses were not cool, and that not only do we not agree to such clauses but that they are also unenforceable .

She said "don't worry about that stuff then ". So we didn't
Look at you sitting on your ivory tower. Lying about clauses like no pets
Yeah, don't worry about that stuff. We aint' got no pets. Got that guy too. Fuckers eh the lot of em.

Wow. just wow.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
I didn't. It definitely seems like he has some sort of mental delay, preventing him from evaluating his situation objectively and making good decisions.

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Look at you sitting on your ivory tower. Lying about clauses like no pets
Yeah, don't worry about that stuff. We aint' got no pets. Got that guy too. Fuckers eh the lot of em.

Wow. just wow.
I love that you hate when TRIBE bullies and trolls all over your ass, but first chance you get, you do the exact same.

Try being constructive in your posts instead of trolling the hell out of others.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I love that you hate when TRIBE bullies and trolls all over your ass, but first chance you get, you do the exact same.

Try being constructive in your posts instead of trolling the hell out of others.
This makes no sense. I'm just trying to help the guy from getting his foot out of his mouth.

Seriously he needs to watch it before he get's a landlord that's going to really take it to him.

I get plenty of punches, but I don't shy away from giving any, too. Get a grip, and go set up your porch spy cameras...

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
[- FuNKtiOn -];4703682 said:

thanks.

yeah, i didn't expect her to want to force us out for not agreeing to the increase. I expected her to simply go for the alotted increase and request the board for a larger one if she has proof of inreased property taxes. Not a big deal, but knowing she's tried to pull stuff off - we wanted to make sure she goes about it the right way.

Give someone like this an inch, and they take a mile...Right?

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
What Derek said.
3 times in the past few years you've fought with your landlords. Just curious how many have given your referrals?
This game of legal wrangling is going to do you no favours.
3 out of 7 landlords in toronto have been dicks.

I have 4 great landlord references :)

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
This makes no sense. I'm just trying to help the guy from getting his foot out of his mouth.

Seriously he needs to watch it before he get's a landlord that's going to really take it to him.

I get plenty of punches, but I don't shy away from giving any, too. Get a grip, and go set up your porch spy cameras...
And this is why no one gives you an ounce of respect here. No one needs to do what you tell them to. You don't have to agree and can argue as much as you want, but the way you do it is demeaning and disrespectful. And that's why you get treated in exactly the same way.

Now, go snort some cocaine and get drunk so you can wash away all this logic from your brain.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter

sober up and logic might work a bit better for you.

praktik

TRIBE Member
3 out of 7 landlords in toronto have been dicks.

I have 4 great landlord references :)
But wait - i thought you were like the common factor and that you bring all this shit on yourself?

What happened with the other 4, you blackmail them into submission or something?

derek

TRIBE Member
given he has no issues lying, i'd take any information from Bacchus with grain of salt for sure

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Hrmph. Ontario tenant laws...how I wish we had such things in Sask. Here, you play by the rules. No pets means no pets(Sneaking will get you booted and the tribunal backs it). Pet deposit means pay the pet deposit. 30 days notice to get out once you are month to month.

I'm lucky. I have a hands off landlady who's just interested in taking my money, and fixes shit when things are broken. That's all I'm after. Lived in so many shitholes (both in ON and SK) before this one. Landlord Tenant shit did nothing for me, as I don't have time to deal with all that negativity. Bad place? Find a new one. Getting too expensive? Find a new one. That's how I've done things. Seems to work alright.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
sober up and logic might work a bit better for you.
It's a public message board. You can't expect everyone to blow sunshine up your ass, bud. Especially the way you are coming off with all this to me appears, you're completely abusing the system. It makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
But wait - i thought you were like the common factor and that you bring all this shit on yourself?

What happened with the other 4, you blackmail them into submission or something?
Well, one of them i didnt hear from for over a year, and he ended up refunding me half my rent - which was a good indication that I do have the ability to compromise, but hey

Out of the other three, I had

-one landlord for 8 years without any issues and,

one that I had issues , but I really didn't know my rights and i didn't complain about having the landlord show up at 8am on random days knocking on our door wanting to come in.

The best landlord was the coach hous landlord. he lived on site, but wasn't a dick and followed most of the act just from being a god damn courteous human being instead of a money grabbing psycho :)

Last edited: