• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Roommate Rental Landlord Living-Space Neighbour Horror Stories

praktik

TRIBE Member
It's been established, this whole thing started when Bacchus was asked to accept a rent increase above rent control guidelines.

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
It's been established, this whole thing started when Bacchus was asked to accept a rent increase above rent control guidelines.
According to him. Plus there is still sufficient ambiguity as to whether or not the unit is actually covered under rent control guidelines.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ah ok, so now we're getting somewhere... Real issue is a Hate on for Bacchus, cant even trust a word he says!

He's wasting taxpayer dollars!!

EDIT:it's not just his word, he has experts backing this part of his claim, as recently posted

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Ah ok, so now we're getting somewhere... Real issue is a Hate on for Bacchus, cant even trust a word he says!

He's wasting taxpayer dollars!!

EDIT:it's not just his word, he has experts backing this part of his claim, as recently posted
I didn't know that's how disputes are settled - take the unfettered word of one party without any input from the counter-party.

*shakes head. Do you ever re-read some of the stuff you post and realize how idiotic it is?

praktik

TRIBE Member
It's not idiotic to me, I'm the one writing it

And yes, I trust the word of a fellow triber I know on and offline, why would I doubt his story as he shared it??

Are you claiming he is lying?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
The challenge I see you haveing to face and potentially losing, is there is no way you can prove until after the fact that her mom is not moving in. You cannot refuse to move out is she is moving in a family member. Regardless, you will be forced to move out and she will get what she wants. Her mom technically only has to move in for a month or two, then she can change her mind and rent it out again.

Just keep in mind speculation is not a legal argument. As much as you play games so can others and eventually it catches up with you
Yep, and we're not banking on busting her In a lie.

We're holding out until we have to so she becomes responsible for moving expenses.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
I've lived all over the world, and nowhere else was I able to lie about pets on my application without recourse afforded to the landlord.

Sounds like Bacchus' landlord is simply pursuing her legal rights by evicting him in favor of her mother. How is that an unreasonable demand?
Because she is not actually doing thaT.

And if she is, she can sign an affidavit saying she is and pay for moving expenses

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
That is pure speculation on intent.
Not really. She Wanted to illegally terminate the lease and tried to for two weeks unsuccessfully before she obtained advice instructing her to tell us she's moving her mom in (we actually have this in an email)

We didn't want to sign a new lease for an illegal increase, but with many other stipulations that were unlawful. This was not the first time weve disagreed to her lease conditions which also include

-Covering maintenance
-no drinking alcohol
-no guests for 7 days

Again, as mentioned in a previous post - we told her when we paid the 300$ pet deposit that we were uncomfortable with it as it was an illegal request, but that we would comply as a gesture of good faith. At the time we expressed which lease conditions we didn't agree with and were unlawful (including her ability to term a.lease at any time on 60 days notice ), and reminded her that as a landlord she should familiarize herself with the act .

She clearly chose not to, and presented us again with a lease.that had clauses that not only would we not accept, but we presented as being unenforceable.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
-no drinking alcohol
Ok literally there's an issue there for me. You got to be kidding.

You're dealing with a mom and pop shop. Don't fuck with them.

you seriously need to get a house dood. Or go more corporate with your housing rentals.

Property management shit will love to handle your requests.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Aren't you tired of moving? It does seem as though you're sometimes trolling your landlords for some type of infraction so you can be combative and throw the law at them as though you're some rental Robin Hood. Your landlord senses you'll be a high maintenance tenant forever and tries to figure out a way to get your ass out. And then there you are. Not saying your insistence on following the tenancy act is unreasonable, but it seems like maybe you're a bit unreasonable. How can you have this much bad luck?

Tread carefully. While law is law, things aren't black and white. Could be a recent ruling that throws your position into question. You keep showing up at the tribunal and pretty soon you may be questioned about your luck and your motives.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
I'm suggesting simply that either way he'll lose. Maybe not at the tribunal but certainly in the game of life. One way or another he won't be living there. He says he has no money, he has a new kid and doesn't want the hassle of moving. Yet he's picked a fight with his landlord to the point where she doesn't want to do business with him. I think given his current situation it's certainly in his best interests to play nice but you and I know that ship has sailed the second he mentioned filing a dispute.
What you clearly don't get is that she doesn't get to decide that she doesn't want to do business anymore when she doesn't feel like anymore. That's why the laws exist. She decided I was a good choice when she demanded things well beyond what I'd required of a landlord (some of which we complies with, and others such as a T4 tax return, we did not.)

Perhaps you need to reread the thread and read the RTA yourself, since you're going to be a landlord and all.

again, I'm raising no dispute. Any termination of a lease has to be agreed upon by both parties, or approved by the board

I don't agree with her 60 days notice, so she more will be requesting with the board. When we go to mediation, we will be sure to present the facts and communications between us, and let them decide.

Whoever is saying that I'm wasting tax dollars has no fucking clue to the process and should get learned before making such ridiculous attempts.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Aren't you tired of moving? It does seem as though you're sometimes trolling your landlords for some type of infraction so you can be combative and throw the law at them as though you're some rental Robin Hood. Your landlord senses you'll be a high maintenance tenant forever and tries to figure out a way to get your ass out. And then there you are. Not saying your insistence on following the tenancy act is unreasonable, but it seems like maybe you're a bit unreasonable. How can you have this much bad luck?

Tread carefully. While law is law, things aren't black and white. Could be a recent ruling that throws your position into question. You keep showing up at the tribunal and pretty soon you may be questioned about your luck and your motives.
Read above.

No trolling, we're just not going to let a crusty bitch who admits to fraudulent activity push us around and force us out of our home before we're ready.

The interesting thing about a tribunal is that they only allow for facts. The whole setting up someone's character doesn't happen
.the person either did or didn't follow the act

Last edited:

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
It's as though potential landlords demonstrate they will be difficult upon first contact, you privately decide they are being unlawful, accept the challenge, move in and then wage war. I'm not saying you're wrong--what landlord deems it appropriate to dictate what their tenants consume?---crazy ones... But you have some misguided idea where you think you will educate them into doing all the right things (as though you own the place) because you're mr.law, and then you guys will be super happy in the future. No. You're dealing with nut cases so stop trying to FIND THEM and accept them as landlords. You seem to think you are entitled and then decide to make shit your problem.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
It almost seems you're on a power trip Baccy because you can't afford a place. I mean, just apply and see what happens.

This is mental. Get a Mortgage. Why are you consistently attacking every authority that is gracious enough to lend their place to you? For hell or high water.

JamesM

TRIBE Member

This

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
I'm not a lawyer. But have dealt with a human rights tribunal in another matter. ( and appreciate that these are very different but would certainly give me pause) My understanding is that the tribunal may still be influenced based on recent Supreme Court rulings in upholding elements of the act.

In a simple example (making it up), a tribunal one day may deem an entire lease agreement null and void because it includes one unlawful clause. 6 months later a ruling comes down that is similar but upholds everything but the unlawful clause.

I'm just cautioning you're very cavalier about the law and seem to look for trouble. You may find yourself fubar'd if you keep this up.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Yeah man, you might end up getting sidewinded into a major suit against you if you keep it up. Get real. Pronto.

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
It's not idiotic to me, I'm the one writing it

And yes, I trust the word of a fellow triber I know on and offline, why would I doubt his story as he shared it??

Are you claiming he is lying?
No, I'm not suggesting he is lying. I am suggesting, however, that your balls are gargling deep in his throat as you try to argue a nuanced situation asserting the landlord has no validity to her claims.

If you guys want to cluck yourselves up in a tizzy shaking your collective fists at the injustice of this situation, go ahead. Maybe with a better EQ you wouldn't be getting evicted every couple years.

praktik

TRIBE Member
You guys were suggesting this was an irrational act on the part of Bacchus.

I pointed to the valid injuries he has posted about here in this thread, you Agent Smith, are just incredulous that Bacchus could have a legitimate reason to go to the tribunal.

I am not incredulous - I know and trust Bacchus, and don't have any reason to doubt his story.

To you, this is "idiotic", to me it's taking a friends story at face value and arguing he has a legitimate reason to seek redress.

The fact you find this crazy is a problem in your mind Smith, don't put that shit on me!

It's been clearly established the increase was against rent control limit and additional illegal terms were in the new lease. I'm accepting this as honestly related from a friend and fellow triber, sure. Maybe the landlord has a point or two, at least now an impartial body will be able to settle this, as they can and should! And it's wonderful we live in a country where citizens can resolve disputes in bodies like the tribunal.

I have no problem with Bacchus defending himself and his family through these means, if their claims are unfounded, the tribunal will find for the landlord

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
Whoever is saying that I'm wasting tax dollars has no fucking clue to the process and should get learned before making such ridiculous attempts.
Ya that's just the " taxpayer" reflex - we have all been well trained by the zeitgeist of the 80s and 90s, where the fundamental political unit is "the taxpayer" (not the citizen) and politics is distilled into what does what doesn't "cost the taxpayer"

This narrative will be with us a while longer I bet

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
I'm not a lawyer. But have dealt with a human rights tribunal in another matter. ( and appreciate that these are very different but would certainly give me pause) My understanding is that the tribunal may still be influenced based on recent Supreme Court rulings in upholding elements of the act.

In a simple example (making it up), a tribunal one day may deem an entire lease agreement null and void because it includes one unlawful clause. 6 months later a ruling comes down that is similar but upholds everything but the unlawful clause.

I'm just cautioning you're very cavalier about the law and seem to look for trouble. You may find yourself fubar'd if you keep this up.
Oh you're not a lawyer? thanks, i really couldn't tell that you don't know what the fuck you're taking about.

Your example is exactly that, made up. It has no fucking basis on reality or previous landlord and tenant classes. Have a look at publaw if you want to be a fucking armchair lawyer.

I appreciate your "caution" and experience, but they are unfounded and unrelated. Remember, I'm the one who's been in front of the board twice. I'm the one that has been forced to know the act better then most lawyers.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
It almost seems you're on a power trip Baccy because you can't afford a place. I mean, just apply and see what happens.

This is mental. Get a Mortgage. Why are you consistently attacking every authority that is gracious enough to lend their place to you? For hell or high water.
You need to learn to fucking read.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
It's as though potential landlords demonstrate they will be difficult upon first contact, you privately decide they are being unlawful, accept the challenge, move in and then wage war. I'm not saying you're wrong--what landlord deems it appropriate to dictate what their tenants consume?---crazy ones... But you have some misguided idea where you think you will educate them into doing all the right things (as though you own the place) because you're mr.law, and then you guys will be super happy in the future. No. You're dealing with nut cases so stop trying to FIND THEM and accept them as landlords. You seem to think you are entitled and then decide to make shit your problem.
The English comprehension skills in this thread is bloody unbelievably considering were both living in an English speaking country.

Are you just ignoring the facts or are you just making them up to argue?

Let me spell it out for you again.

We told her WHEN WE MOVED IN that certain clauses were not cool, and that not only do we not agree to such clauses but that they are also unenforceable .

She said "don't worry about that stuff then ". So we didn't

We didn't decide that her clauses were illegal, they simply are. They have been since 1997 and some even longer

You've got one thing right, sure We tried to educate her. However she refuses to acknowledge our rights, so now she's going to have to lean the hard way...via her pocket book.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Did we come in looking for a fight?no we just wanted a place to live.

We naively hoped that as an ignorant first time landlord, she would become educated. We're her first tenants ever, but not the only tenants. And it's important not only for our rights but for hers that she's aware of the rights of both parties.

She's had two sets of tenants downstairs, the last of which left on a dime when she illegally forced them out. Not going to let that happen to me with a child.